Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Israeli Coin Found Among Pennies, City "Ordnance" And More

As many of you know, I enjoy detecting private yards. Our city is 57 years old so there's some history in our neighborhood yards. I had the afternoon off, so I decided to drive around the block to see if there were any detecting leads. Just up the road there was an empty house with a For Sale sign in the front yard. I called the real estate agent's number and asked if she would allow me to check the yard, and she said to go right ahead.

I started in the front yard and dug up my first Lincoln Memorial penny within the first 10 seconds of hunting.

As things progressed, I found a few more modern pennies, then a wheatie. I was hoping for some silver but no luck. Another solid beep near the sidewalk revealed a live 9mm round..sure glad I didn't chop into the grass too hard..!

On the way to the back yard, my detector went nuts on the side of the house where there was nothing but dirt. After digging up penny after penny, I realized this was a kid's little hiding spot. My back started to hurt after awhile and I was really getting tired of digging up all these pennies. I ended up quitting for awhile and searched the back yard.

The back yard was a total shambles..it looked like a tornado struck. There was an area where a pool used to be, the deck was still there (but falling apart), and a swingset. I found a cub scout neckerchief slide closer to the house, a fishing lure with a big sharp hook (another unexpected potential hazard), a quarter and a few other coins.

I went back to the penny pit and came up with more pennies, then a nickel, then a dime. Maybe the kid buried his whole bank here? After digging up about 50 Lincoln Memorials I pulled up an Israeli coin I've never seen before. I was hoping to find more unusual coinage, but that happened to be the only one.

Thank God the detector quit sounding off after spending about 30 minutes at that spot.

Anyway I had a great time..the weather was sunny and the temp was in the low 40's. so not too bad..the ground was soft so it made for an easy dig. I ended up with 90 pennies, a 1952 wheatie, 4 nickels, 9 dimes, 5 quarters, a GM car key, a lipstick case, the bullet, the scout neckerchief slide, a child's ring, the fishing lure and the Israeli coin.

If anyone has any info on the coin please let me know!

MAR1.jpg

MAR2.jpg

MAR3.jpg

MAR4.jpg

MAR5.jpg

Nat

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Israeli Coin Found Among Pennies, City "Ordnance" And More

Excellent finds Nat!

HH
-GC

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the penny cache and interesting Israeli coin! HH, Mike

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

can help ya out with one of em the first pic on the left side of the coins,the willow leaf shaped thing is also part of a fishing lure,its a spinner blade...nice finds,the bullet would freak me out tho,finding it where kids played

S

stefen

SHEKEL

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri

Isn't that too weird, I also found one of those Israeli coins exactley the same in a baseball field here in the Ozarks.......stranger things have happened I guess. Great finds and HH........gregd573

capt_t

Dec 27, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

About the kids stash, when my son was 3yrs old he got ahold of his piggie bank, and proceeded to bury the money in the back yard, there was about 100 dollars in change and paper money. I was just glad I caught him soon enough, I was able to see the fresh dug holes....Makes you wonder how many more kids stashes are out there ;D

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe

nice finds

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR

Interesting coin, ya just wonder how it ended up there, go figure, I was hunting today and hit a penny spot too, I dug 18 all modern in about a 4' square,
Nice finds.

Eddy

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks all, fyrfighter - I should have known that, got one in my tackle box somewhere..and greg - yes that's quite a coincidence..capt - great story..he must have seen or heard something that gave him the idea..imagine if you never found it and imagine the face of someone digging that up in future years..Eddy - the day I bought my old White's Coinmaster II back in '95 I dug up a 1942 Jamaican coin in my front yard..I thought it was a quarter! Have no idea how it got there...

Nat

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a day!!!
Fossis....................