🥇 BANNER 20 MUSKET BALLS..... 2 VERY AWESOME BUTTONS !!!!!!!! BEST YET!!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out for a early hunt today.

Lotsa musket balls once again.

But the highlite of this hunt is my buttons !!!

Found the button with RP and CROWN on it early in my hunt ..but didn,t see anything on it until I got home and cleand it up...boy was i surprised.

Found the 75 button at the end of my hunt.... I have seen another one just like it on here somewhere but can,t find it.

I,m assuming they are from the 1700s... |?????????????

Any information on thes buttons would be appreciated.

2014-02-01 10.51.26.jpg 2014-02-01 10.51.51.jpg 2014-02-01 10.52.58.jpg 2014-02-01 10.54.03.jpg 2014-02-01 10.59.52.jpg

Upvote 38

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW.. ty CRUSADER,,,,,,,

That would be my 1st BANNER vote since joining !!!!!

I,m still a newb at this hobby...I knew they were good finds ... but didn,t know how good. !!!

Easy to make the case, because there is both a Rev War British and Rev War Loyalist button currently on the banner. Of course they are officers buttons, and yours are not, but the fact you have great condition for what they are, and found both on the same hunt, I think is banner worthy. Actually I don't think it, I know it, but unfortunately if it's not shiny, or not a GW, it doesn't tend to make it up top. I have three banner finds, but the number that matters to me more is how many finds I have that I know are banner worthy and just did not get up there.... many of which didn't simply because I was not a member here when I dug them, but I like to think how many I could have had. So for your own personal count you are a 1. :headbang:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI AQUA; They are indeed Rev War Era. The 57th Reg. Button goes for $80 - $125 and the RP button goes for up to $275. Both are in Near Mint State ok. The button being sold on ebay is worth $10 - $20 at best. They'll never get $99 for it unless they find some poor sap. Yours will sell pronto ok. They are truly Gems. For me I say BANNER. !!!

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
These finds get my BANNER vote as well. :occasion14:

Having dug a good many pewter buttons, and searched Rev War sites in various areas, I will also certainly attest to the rarity of finding good examples of excavated pewter buttons.

In regards to sealing with Elmer's glue, I have found that with any deep cracks, it is best to soak the pewter button in water first for a period of time. Then remove the button and allow it to dry a few minutes. While the cracks are still wet inside, apply the water thinned Elmer's glue with a toothpick, being careful not to get glue on the surface details (the glue may add a slightly darker, shiny look to the pewter). As the thinned glue dries, the wetness in the deep cracks from the soak will pull the glue deeper inside, providing a more effective sealing process.

My own preferce for Elmer's glue over the years has been the clear gel:

Amazon.com: Elmer's Washable No-Run School Glue Gel, 7.625 oz Bottle, Blue (E363): Office Products

The light blue transparent gel is easier to see through while working, allowing better control of detail work.

CC Hunter

Last edited:
OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy to make the case, because there is both a Rev War British and Rev War Loyalist button currently on the banner. Of course they are officers buttons, and yours are not, but the fact you have great condition for what they are, and found both on the same hunt, I think is banner worthy. Actually I don't think it, I know it, but unfortunately if it's not shiny, or not a GW, it doesn't tend to make it up top. I have three banner finds, but the number that matters to me more is how many finds I have that I know are banner worthy and just did not get up there.... many of which didn't simply because I was not a member here when I dug them, but I like to think how many I could have had. So for your own personal count you are a 1. :headbang:

Well said sir.... regardless as you said it is a BANNER to me no matter what.. as I am very happy to now be the new owner of this part of history and will look great in a nice display case in my living room where they will be seen and talked about for many years to come. !!

TYVM for the vote

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there friend, you have my vote as well. Those are very important historical pieces that signify one of the most important events in out history. They can have the shiny stuff buddy. I will take the super old dirty relics any day. Super happy for you on those great finds. Banner or not those are amazing and I'd be doing cartwheels if I found them!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful buttons and well deserving of praise! WTG!

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These finds get my BANNER vote as well. :occasion14:

Having dug a good many pewter buttons, and searched Rev War sites in various areas, I will also certainly attest to the rarity of finding good examples of excavated pewter buttons.

In regards to sealing with Elmer's glue, I have found that with any deep cracks, it is best to soak the pewter button in water first for a period of time. Then remove the button and allow it to dry a few minutes. While the cracks are still wet inside, apply the water thinned Elmer's glue with a toothpick, being careful not to get glue on the surface details (the glue may add a slightly darker, shiny look to the pewter). As the thinned glue dries, the wetness in the deep cracks from the soak will pull the glue deeper inside, providing a more effective sealing process.

My own preferce for Elmer's glue over the years has been the clear gel:

Amazon.com: Elmer's Washable No-Run School Glue Gel, 7.625 oz Bottle, Blue (E363): Office Products

The light blue transparent gel is easier to see through while working, allowing better control of detail work.

CC Hunter

TYVM for the BANNER vote.!!

And ty for the tips on helping to preserve them...will be stopping in town tomorrow to get some of that glue.

I can see already where the edges of the RP button are drying out and starting to crack in a couple of places--so will soak it tonite in fresh water and apply the glue tomorrow when i get home from my morning hunt.

Then into the display case it will go !!

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI AQUA; They are indeed Rev War Era. The 57th Reg. Button goes for $80 - $125 and the RP button goes for up to $275. Both are in Near Mint State ok. The button being sold on ebay is worth $10 - $20 at best. They'll never get $99 for it unless they find some poor sap. Yours will sell pronto ok. They are truly Gems. For me I say BANNER. !!!

TY for the BANNER vote BARKER.

That one on Ebay is really bad shape.....these 2 will be dispayed nicely in a case.... just nice knowing what they are worth.

Ty for the info.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow, what a haul!!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got my vote, congrats!

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there friend, you have my vote as well. Those are very important historical pieces that signify one of the most important events in out history. They can have the shiny stuff buddy. I will take the super old dirty relics any day. Super happy for you on those great finds. Banner or not those are amazing and I'd be doing cartwheels if I found them!

TY AHAB ... for the BANNER vote.... much appreciated !!!!

Only thing I like shiny is my car !!...lol

Seems like I got my work cut out for me to top that for 2014.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TY AHAB ... for the BANNER vote.... much appreciated !!!! Only thing I like shiny is my car !!...lol Seems like I got my work cut out for me to top that for 2014.
With that site you may very well top it this week:-)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those buttons are two fantastic Rev War treasures and together or separately they belong on the banner. I have dug 7 pewter Rev War buttons and not one of them had a full rim. They rarely come out of the ground in that condition. Congratulations on those beauties! You have my vote :thumbsup:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great looking buttons!!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those buttons are two fantastic Rev War treasures and together or separately they belong on the banner. I have dug 7 pewter Rev War buttons and not one of them had a full rim. They rarely come out of the ground in that condition. Congratulations on those beauties! You have my vote :thumbsup:

I've dug 50+ and not one! From the last couple of posts I suspect he has moved on to another area, but I sure wouldn't. I've spent hours just to try and get a few more signals at places with those type of buttons.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug 50+ and not one! From the last couple of posts I suspect he has moved on to another area, but I sure wouldn't. I've spent hours just to try and get a few more signals at places with those type of buttons.

Actually only move a few hundred yards......

But boy what a difference in the finds ...obviously the battle took place in a concentrated area....thinking the goods are in a small area..am returning to the scene of the crime tomo......keep fingers crossed...but I,ll clean the site of all signals.

50+ wow ...thats a lot !!!!!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll bet the secret to condition is under water, I've seen first hand a few that came from a lake and they were prestine, not withstanding the shank. Air (oxygen) is the culprit to decomposition.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually only move a few hundred yards......

But boy what a difference in the finds ...obviously the battle took place in a concentrated area....thinking the goods are in a small area..am returning to the scene of the crime tomo......keep fingers crossed...but I,ll clean the site of all signals.

50+ wow ...thats a lot !!!!!

In detecting a few hundred yards might as well be a million miles, and it wasn't a battle, it's most likely from a house that was very close... like the closest patch of solid land.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TYVM for the BANNER vote ... muchly appreciated.

As Rick said--- it must be the water that kept them in such great shape.

I,m gettin ready to seal the edges now.... soaked em in fresh water to get rid of the salt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread