🥇 BANNER 20 MUSKET BALLS..... 2 VERY AWESOME BUTTONS !!!!!!!! BEST YET!!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out for a early hunt today.

Lotsa musket balls once again.

But the highlite of this hunt is my buttons !!!

Found the button with RP and CROWN on it early in my hunt ..but didn,t see anything on it until I got home and cleand it up...boy was i surprised.

Found the 75 button at the end of my hunt.... I have seen another one just like it on here somewhere but can,t find it.

I,m assuming they are from the 1700s... |?????????????

Any information on thes buttons would be appreciated.

2014-02-01 10.51.26.jpg 2014-02-01 10.51.51.jpg 2014-02-01 10.52.58.jpg 2014-02-01 10.54.03.jpg 2014-02-01 10.59.52.jpg

Upvote 38

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are AWESOME my friend! I love old buttons(can't seem to find any good ones myself) they are so personal and tell a story. Especially military type buttons. Hope you get the info on those babies. Great job man

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Rev War buttons...in great shape too! I'm sure there is a pile more there....keep diggin!

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Rev War buttons...in great shape too! I'm sure there is a pile more there....keep diggin!

TY PATRIOT

Can u tell me what they 57 means..and the RP ??

I,m so curious. !!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some fantastic buttons Aqua. Can't wait to hear more info on them.
Congrats,
MM

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Revolutionary War buttons

from that site.
"57th Regiment of Foot. Fought at Long Island and Springfield, New Jersey."

TYVM RICK

I am so excited to have found these.... everytime i go out hunting i find something different.

These are my 1st really nice buttons...have found lotsa buttons..but nothing special til today.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello AQUA,

I'm thinking that 57 button is of the 57Th Regiment of Foot. The following is from a larger piece on the 57th Regiments actions in the American Revolutionary War:

"57th Regiment - Nova Scotia - 1783-1791

At the conclusion of the war the 57th Regiment, reduced to eight companies, was assigned to Nova Scotia where British Loyalists from New York were deported in 1783. Some Loyalists returned to the New York from Canada area in later years.

The 1783, 57th Regiment of Foot roster, shows that Policarpus William Taylor had mustered out, and therefore did not participate in the assignment of the 57th to Nova Scotia.

The 57th was stationed in Nova Scotia for eight years until 1791. The 57th was reduced by October 1791 to eighteen officers and one hundred sixty men, due to drafts to other regiments. The regiment arrived in Portsmouth, England, November 14, 1791 from Halifax.
The composition of the 57th upon return to Portsmouth included over fifty percent Irishmen…" 57th Regiment of Foot

montgomery.jpg

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello AQUA,

I'm thinking that 57 button is of the 57Th Regiment of Foot. The following is from a larger piece on the 57th Regiments actions in the American Revolutionary War:

"57th Regiment - Nova Scotia - 1783-1791

At the conclusion of the war the 57th Regiment, reduced to eight companies, was assigned to Nova Scotia where British Loyalists from New York were deported in 1783. Some Loyalists returned to the New York from Canada area in later years.

The 1783, 57th Regiment of Foot roster, shows that Policarpus William Taylor had mustered out, and therefore did not participate in the assignment of the 57th to Nova Scotia.

The 57th was stationed in Nova Scotia for eight years until 1791. The 57th was reduced by October 1791 to eighteen officers and one hundred sixty men, due to drafts to other regiments. The regiment arrived in Portsmouth, England, November 14, 1791 from Halifax.
The composition of the 57th upon return to Portsmouth included over fifty percent Irishmen…" 57th Regiment of Foot

TY for the awsum history.

Thats the best part of this hobby...learning the history behind what we find.

Now I really think I,ve got something special cause I got a old piece of history in my hand. Very interesting stuff...... hope they dropped a gold coin somewhere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How amazing it must be and feel to find a site where history like the Revolutionary war actions took place! I'm sure you'll be spending much more time hunting that area! We don't have history like that in my neck of the woods!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both very nice condition buttons, the 57th is IDed & the other is Loyalist Royal Provincials. CONGRATS

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
AQUA,

The button featuring a crown over the letters RP, is a British Loyalist button of the Royal Provencials. These pewter RP buttons date to the American Revolution. Your example is in remarkable condition, for excavated pewter. :icon_thumright:

There is evidence of slight cracking on the rim, as often seen with buttons of pewter material. A sealing of any of the cracks is highly recommended, as pewter will often continue to crack and rapidly deteriorate after being dug. Elmers clear gel glue, thinned with water, and applied with a toothpick to the cracks, works quite well to seal these areas, preventing further cracking.

CC Hunter

P.S. Crusader has already correctly described the RP button, prior to my post. The written post that I began, was started several minutes earlier. The phone then rang here, capturing my attention for a short while, delaying completion.

Last edited:

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible!! What an amazing hunt! Two thumbs way up!!!

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!I rang CC's "Phane"........sorry!!!Now get those fantastic buttons sealed!!!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW--- thats a big price for a specimen in such bad shape..... mine must be worth a fair bit then as its in great shape..not 100% but very good in comparison.

TY for the link CRUSADER
Thats what they are asking, IP will know how much they actually sell for. But I won't be surprised if yours is close to $100.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what they are asking, IP will know how much they actually sell for. But I won't be surprised if yours is close to $100.

NICE.. but I would only sell it if i got another one ...but always nice to know what things are worth .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions