First Colonial Bonanza of 2014!! Spanish Silver and Coppers!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a wild few weeks of weather the great state of Virginia has had. I initially had a plan for a good friend to join us for a weekend hunt, only to have to post-pone it due to 5-12" of snow that fell throughout the region on Wednesday. On Thursday we almost set the record for the coldest temp on record at -2 (actual, not windchill). On Saturday morning the ground was still basically 100% snow covered but with temps warming up to about 53 my good pal and digging partner Bill D and I figured we would at least try and get an afternoon hunt in. We planned to arrive at the site about noon, hoping that the morning warm up and sun would begin to melt things off. We were wrong on that account as when we arrived the site was still 100% covered - though only about an inch or more of packed snow remained.

This is the site that I landed for us last weekend that was frozen and impossible to dig the way we typically do. We had hoped that the snow would have protected the ground from the below-zero temps - and again - we were wrong. At the beginning of the day we were dealing with about 3" of frozen dirt - breaking the cleat off of my shovel on a test hole left us with no other alternative - pickaxes! Neither of us wanted to remain inside all day so we gave it a go.

We started off by gridding the site methodically but to little success. After about two hours of gridding at what we thought was ground zero and only recovering a few buttons and other odds and ends we both went on our separate ways to look for additional hot spots. Bill and I both struck nice little hot spots and spent the remainder of the day digging target after target - this was the rich site that we felt confident we left behind last week. I will let Bill fill you in on his finds, but he struck first with the initial coin of the day - then shortly afterwards I sniffed out a worn 1798 Large Cent from about 10" down. We kept going and then at the 11th hour - with day light dwindling I struck with a piece of cut silver (spanish pistareen).

My total finds for the day were 26 various buttons (including an early glass inlay-ed button dating to the mid 1700s). I dug plenty of lead (including some early and crude pistol / shot pellets). I dug 70% of a nice colonial shoe buckle and picked up plenty of pipe stems that are littered throughout this site. This site will be a fun one multiple hunts to come - that makes four colonial coins for me in two short hunts. We also know that there is a killer pit or two there some where. The snow did mostly melt (with what was exposed to sun) but the ground remained frozen in spots - where it was not was left with inches of mucky overburden. The drive in that morning was on a solid roadbed (frozen) it took all my 4x4 could do on the way out to leave.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• SC0201a.jpg
    SC0201a.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 183
  • SC0201c.jpg
    SC0201c.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 181
  • SC0201d.jpg
    SC0201d.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 184
  • SC0201g.jpg
    SC0201g.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 210
  • SC0201h.jpg
    SC0201h.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 204
  • SC0201n.jpg
    SC0201n.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 185
  • SC0201m.jpg
    SC0201m.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 196
  • SC0201l.jpg
    SC0201l.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 181
  • SC0201j.jpg
    SC0201j.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 184
  • SC0201i.jpg
    SC0201i.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 194
  • SC0201o.jpg
    SC0201o.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 199
  • SC0201p.jpg
    SC0201p.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 183
  • SC0201q.jpg
    SC0201q.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 210
  • SC0201f.jpg
    SC0201f.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 12

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
WOW Nice variety of finds. You guys just keep pulling out some fantastic stuff. Just goes to show with a lot of research there's still a bunch to be found. I think 90% of successful detecting is the research. Mike

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extreme hunt! Did you leave anything for Bill???

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an AWESOME Day you guys had. I've been dying to get out but the temps, snow & frozen ground are keeping me in, AARRGH!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Enjoyed reading about your hunt and seeing all of the colonial finds. With all of the conductive targets it would appear that this is a virgin site and one with awesome potential. I can't blame you for getting out there with the snow covered frozen ground. I wouldn't be able to stay away either. Look forward to seeing more and hopefully some trash pit finds.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt! Some great looking buttons and that buckle is nice. I really love that cut piece of Spanish Silver! Great job on finding another site with awesome relics and coins. Good luck on your next hunts.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That's a lot of digging! Your digging tools are interesting choices, given the conditions, who could blame you lol
Good effort!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More likely the blue stoned 'button' is a late 17th C-mid 18th C Cuff link. Some of the earliest ever made.:thumbsup:
UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

Thanks Cru - you know I suspected it was older based on the back - but was afraid to say it. We have found some 1600's items here in the two short hunts, but have actually been looking for the 1600's land patent that we know is there somewhere.

Dan

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's quite an impressive haul Dan, especially since you dug almost all your finds in the last 2-3 hours of the hunt. I think we definitely made up for the disappointment of the initial ground-zero gridding with the new hotspots we discovered. With such a large debris field we should be busy for quite a while at this site. Just hope the weather cooperates so we can get back in there again soon. I don't know who those 2 guys are in the last pic, but I certainly wouldn't want to mess with them .... haha!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite an impressive haul Dan, especially since you dug almost all your finds in the last 2-3 hours of the hunt. I think we definitely made up for the disappointment of the initial ground-zero gridding with the new hotspots we discovered. With such a large debris field we should be busy for quite a while at this site. Just hope the weather cooperates so we can get back in there again soon. I don't know who those 2 guys are in the last pic, but I certainly wouldn't want to mess with them .... haha!

They do look quite formidable don't they...

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
You guys had a great hunt. I love all the buttons and the cut silver is awesome. That buckle looks pretty nice too. I would definitely hit that site again. Good luck when you return.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's determination!! I love all of your finds Dan, especially the cufflink.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's a pile of relics. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's determination!! I love all of your finds Dan, especially the cufflink.

Thanks Joey - I like the cufflink as well. No VA Half this trip - but managed one at each new spot so far this year. Only one of those cufflinks I have seen - good eye.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You & Bill had a fantastic hunt! Y'all have some really great sites to hunt. I'd be out there in the snow too!

BerntOut

Jan 12, 2010
South West USA
Detector(s) used
Deus, BlissTool V3, CTX, Vallon VCM1, ......forgot the others!
You Guys are HARDCORE! I love relics like the ones you recovered. Very nice!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Congrats!

I could have used that pickaxe Sunday, we have the same frozen tundra!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread