EAGLE BELT BUCKLE!! I think its fake though....???

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 378
Upvote 9
OP
OP
Mkriegs

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Says: "E Pluribus Unum" across the top. If its real i believe its post civil war era

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard to tell really..what are its measurements and what does the back look like?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
not sure but it doesn't have that "patina" look to it, think it's a repro, but maybe?.......... how deep was it?

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
we need to see the back, not all belt buckles are going to have a green patina, it depends on the soil it was dug from.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like everyone states, more details are required to make a judgement, ie the reverse shot & size & better pictures. The patina looks OK, & if I was a betting man, at this point, I'm going with 'real'.

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like everyone states, more details are required to make a judgement, ie the reverse shot & size & better pictures. The patina looks OK, & if I was a betting man, at this point, I'm going with 'real'.

Yep, me to The patina looks nice.

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
I'd love to see a picture of the back even if it doesn't have any markings. Cool find!

OP
OP
Mkriegs

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unnamed (2).jpg 0206141949.jpg Ok here are some new pics. there is obviously a piece broken off the back. the measurements are 3 inches wide and 2 inches tall it was not dug in a harsh soil. im in ky

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks just like the one I found last year it dated to the 1870s-1880s.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks pretty darn cool, I hope you can get a positive ID on it. Welcome to TNet.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well most modern (fake) repo's -- used a peg type design front post for use on "modern" leather belts with a hole in them --that buckle clearly has the older metal tongue and keeper style (two metal parts)one on each side design ---where the "tongue" on the buckle fits into a slot on the keeper on the other side of the belt --which is the civil war correct style * --the tongue being broke off the buckle made it unusible --thus it was either lost or thrown away. ---due to the older design type and it being broken as well my bet is "real"--its a 1851 model union nco /enlisted man sword belt buckle (nco / enlisted ) model with out the silver wreath --if it had a silver wreath it would be a full commissioned officer.(Lt or above)--since the all of the calvary generally carried swords ( sword and pistols were the main "fighting" tools for calvary , these are often found at sites where they were at --- in the "regular army" only NCO'S and Officers carried swords and a side arm (pistol) as their standard arms.

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks good to me. awesome find!

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
The Eagle Belt Plate posted at the beginning of this thread, is certainly not a Model 1851 Sword Belt Plate nor of American Civil War vintage. The Model 1851 has the belt loop on the end being quite substantial in material, with the belt loop clearly visible when viewing the belt plate from the face side. Also, the Model 1851 Sword Belt Plate, as well as most ACW era rectangular sword belt plates, were constructed with a narrower catch tongue. As noted by the backside photo posted later in the thread, the catch tongue on this example is missing, yet the outline of where this piece was originally attached, shows a very wide tongue profile nearly spanning the entire height of the plate.

This particular Eagle Belt Plate here, more closely resembles the Model 1874 Sword Belt Plate, in use up through the 1890's and beyond. However, from my own memory, I cannot recall Ever seeing a heavy cast type belt loop attached on such an angle to the back of a Model 1874 Eagle Sword Belt Plate. The belt loop generally seen, is a three sided round wire loop, fastened top and bottom, coming out square with the back. At best this is rarely seen version of a Model 1874 Sword Belt Plate. I would certainly not rule out 20th Century manufacture either, on this oddity.

Ridgeway Civil War Reference Archive Federal sword buckles (Reg 1851), pattern 665

CC Hunter

OP
OP
Mkriegs

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you all very much. i actually email the Hanover Brass foundry and sent them some pics to see if my plate matches any that they have made. hopefully they will get back to me soon.

OP
OP
Mkriegs

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THe Company that made fake plates in the 60s and 70s said it wasnt one of theirs!!! they believe it is from the 1890s!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a COOL plate ( if not a repo,)
I def, be happy if it was a piece from the 1870s - 1890's.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions