pocket watch

lldein

Jul 1, 2010
Found this 2 days ago on North side of Maui. Looks like silver on the back, it is encrusted with rust. Roman numerals are just about gone. Anyone know about how old and best way to clean?

002.jpg 003.jpg

Upvote 5

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The movement should have a serial number and hopefully a maker. You would have to open and look at the back of the watch for the info. You can then look up the information, although some of the watch makers were really sketchy on some of their early records. Some makers were only around for a few years and this also makes it harder to find information on them.

DiggetyDog

Nov 8, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTRA 705
MINELAB CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about it but it's a super cool find. Hope it's silver!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
L

lldein

Jul 1, 2010
Thanks everyone, I'm still trying to figure out how to get the rust off, it was found near a beach on a hillside, I couldn't figure out why a lot of the stuff was rusted at this dump then I remembered the tsunami that hit Hawaii, that's why there were shells mixed in with the glass, lol.

seychik

Nov 3, 2011
Denver Metro, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pocket watches that are already pretty far gone can be attacked with a brass brush. Cool find! Cindy

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would clean it with electrolysis. This will get the rust off, and then you might be abe to open it to find the info you need to identify it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread