Rusty Gold Chain?

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this one out of the shallow surf two days ago. Didn't think much of it as it looked like a corroded copper chain. I pulled it out of my pile of trash finds yesterday and examined it more carefully. After scratching some of the links with a razor knife, a gold color began to emerge. Soaked it in white vinegar for 8 hours and then scrubbed it with baking soda.

Must be made of a real low karat to have so much corrosion. I plan on getting a gold test kit to check the purity. Weight of the chain is 9.6 grams. Before and after photos. The gold coin is 24 karat for color comparison:

Attachments

• IMG_4615.JPG
    IMG_4615.JPG
    859.6 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_4655.JPG
    IMG_4655.JPG
    697.1 KB · Views: 282
Upvote 8

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Karat markings on the tag? Tag looks 24k and the Chain looks the same as your coin. That coin would be 22k or 90% solid gold. I'm guessing the tag is a higher Karat and does not belong with that chain. Those extra links are not part of the original chain also. Its very hard to believe that 22k gold would tarnish or get dirty like that. :icon_scratch: However I guess I do know its possible... I think its real, but only a correctly done acid test is the way to tell. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Roman coin was purchased. That would be quite a newsworthy find to dig up a solidus on a Florida beach. :laughing7: 24k in theory, but technically more like 23k.

It's right up there in my top 5 wish list items. Its nearer 23K because the deliberately harden it with metals like copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread