New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Long story short, I spent the morning looking for a 1800's home site in the deep woods, could not find it. During that hunt I found a ax, pocket knife, and a stirrup. The stirrup seemed pretty old, after that I headed to a different spot that I have been waiting to hunt since last spring. I called my buddy to get his blessing, to make sure he was done deer hunting in there. I got the ok, so this spot has about 6 home sites with a couple of them very deep woods. I figured that most treasure hunters have not over the years made it back to these spots. I found two of the homesteads up close to where I knew people probably have hit. I detected there for a hour and a half only finding a stinking Lincoln. Until I stumbled across the brown bottle. My buddy told me about the bottles at this place, today I think I just scratched the surface. I found three bottles that were broke like the one in the pix that had pontil bottoms on them:BangHead: I'm going tomorrow, I will be detecting too. I'm very green about these bottles, the small clear one has "WYETH & BRO PHILAD'A" on it. The brown one says on the back Federal law forbids sale or re-use of this bottle.

Any age, value or ID's would be greatly appreciated. I will be posting this in the Bottle forum too
Thanks for looking and thank you in advance for any help from you great people of treasurenet!
Brad

Just wanted to add these photos of the metal I found at the earlier site/hunt for site

Last edited:
Upvote 7

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Brad,

Sweetrelease has got it, that's an early machine valve scar, and a helluva crude one. If this stuff is laying on the surface, I'd wanna return with proper shovels and scratchers and dig the dickens outta that spot.

Learning about old bottles takes time. Combine unequal parts of lots'a digging, and plenty of reading and researching, and pretty soon you'll know enough to be dangerous. 8-)

I know of no better, nor more comprehensive site than the one Bill Lindsey did for the SHA: Historic Bottle Website - Homepage

suctionscar.jpg
Bottle Bases Page

Last edited:

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet's got it that's actually a newer bottle than the other two. Do a picture search for open pontil and you'll the difference. Other pontil types are graphite , sand and what some refer to as improved. Pontiled bottles date pre 1865. Your bottle as stated by Sweet is much newer and completely machine made. I'd say no doubt your in a turn of last century dump with some newer stuff .

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will take a nice bottle over a coin any day! Congrats on some nice display pieces.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread