Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My good friend and hunting partner Dan and I got in another couple of short 1/2 day hunts at our new colonial site recently. This place is continuing to produce finds from the mid-1600s to the early 1800s, and has been especially hot on buttons as we've dug nearly 150 between us in about 16 hours of hunting there. But after digging 6 colonial coins in our first 2 trips we've been skunked in that department the last 2 outings. Yesterday it was starting to get a little harder to put our coils over a keeper, plus the ground was a little on the funky side and played a few tricks on us. In spite of those difficulties I got lucky and pulled a first for me by recovering a complete and undamaged 17th century latten "trifid" spoon complete with maker's mark from about 14" down. These style spoons were generally manufactured between 1650 and 1700, but I believe this is an early one. I was reading in my reference book ("Old Base Metal Spoons" - thanks Casper!) that up to 1660 only a mark in the spoon bowl was used, and thereafter 2 or 3 markings were added on the back of the stem. Since my spoon doesn't have any marks on the stem I'm going to assume it dates to about 1650-1660. The maker's mark is one I've seen before with the 3 spoons(?) or lobes along with the maker's initials "SN". According to my book the original list of latten spoon makers was lost many years ago so there's no way to ascertain the maker's name. Regardless, I'm very happy with this find and it's probably the best recovery I've made at this site so far as it's a rare feat to dig a complete trifid spoon. Dan and I also spent a while yesterday probing and digging a little more in the pit that produced some large milk pan shards the last time out, and a nice mallet bottle spout was recovered yesterday as well. We believe the area sloping away from the huge debris field is a broad and shallow dump with no real concentration of trash. But with a little patience and hard work I'm sure we can make some nice random recoveries from this area.

Attachments

• 021114a.JPG
    021114a.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 338
  • 021114b.JPG
    021114b.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 021114c.JPG
    021114c.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 263
  • 021114d.JPG
    021114d.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 289
  • 021114e.JPG
    021114e.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 270
  • 021114f.JPG
    021114f.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 021114g.JPG
    021114g.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 14

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a whole one, but the '3 spoon' makers mark is a fairly common one, I've had a couple & seen a few others. Must have been a big business.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all those (150) buttons, and all the pipe stems, one (me) would expect a few more coins. As we know though things are no always what we expect. Some old sites, and the people that were there just didn't have the money to throw around, and if they did have it they were often very careful with it.

One site I remember in particular had all kinds of relics, buttons, buckles, bells, you name it, certain it was not hunted before either yet never produced a single coin in three visits. Other sites as many as a dozen coins in a day.

That said, you're still getting lots of targets, and a good coin day can certainly still happen.

Congrats on the whole old spoon.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, that's something you just don't see! Was this your first complete latten spoon?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I was reading in my reference book ("Old Base Metal Spoons" - thanks Casper!) that up to 1660 only a mark in the spoon bowl was used, and thereafter 2 or 3 markings were added on the back of the stem. Since my spoon doesn't have any marks on the stem I'm going to assume it dates to about 1650-1660."

Congrats to you Bill on that fantastic old spoon, and your other great recoveries. :thumbsup: Amazing site you're on. I didn't know such a book existed.
That's the great thing about Tnet. You learn something new here every day.
Great post!
-MM-

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
"I was reading in my reference book ("Old Base Metal Spoons" - thanks Casper!) that up to 1660 only a mark in the spoon bowl was used, and thereafter 2 or 3 markings were added on the back of the stem. Since my spoon doesn't have any marks on the stem I'm going to assume it dates to about 1650-1660."

Congrats to you Bill on that fantastic old spoon, and your other great recoveries. :thumbsup: Amazing site you're on. I didn't know such a book existed.
That's the great thing about Tnet. You learn something new here every day.
Great post!
-MM-

Thanks Doug. BTW - if you go to the link below you can download a pdf version of this book for free. Just click on the little gear icon in the upper right.

Old Base Metal Spoons - Frederick George Hilton Price - Google Books

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Bill. The spoon is an awesome find! 17th century isn't a possibility for me, what a great spot!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recoveries Bill. Congratulations one the spoon. Very difficult to recover one in that condition. Good thing it was so deep!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many people laugh at you when you tell them the highlight of your hunt was a SPOON!!!! lol.. Some people just won't get it though... CONGRATS on a VERY early find Bill!!!!! HH....

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always - had a blast Bill. This site is not done - not even close. We will dig more coins and I believe some awesome pits are waiting.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
The spoon is awesome Bill, great find, also love that cuff link. Looking forward to hunting with you in a couple weeks.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bill (VA).; Thanks for a great find. Thanks even more for the leads on those books. I'll be ordering them ASAP. They will serve me well. I hunt predominantly 1600's - 1700's sites and I've found many spoons. now I'll go back and try to ID them. Now, being from Boston if they only had the initials PR I'd be a very happy guy. PEACE:RONB

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome site y'all have there....producing so many good keepers!! Really like the spoon:thumbsup:.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW, that's something you just don't see! Was this your first complete latten spoon?

Buck - I've dug several latten bowls and stems but this is my first whole 17th century spoon.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man Bill, some killer buttons there but that spoon is off the charts. What a fantastic piece of early American history right there, congrats.
ZDD

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! That spoon is going to look good in your cabinet in your hallway Bill. Love the cufflinks as well.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man man man,what a rush it must be digging buttons like that.each one could have been a coin.Isn't no drug out there like finding stuff like that. .the Place must have been heavily occupied.man that is some good stuff:occasion14:

Last edited:

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
lots of history in those finds, nice digs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread