Colonial digs - Brass, Glass and Lead - ID needed for pewter button.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My good pal and hunting buddy Bill and I got out twice in the last few days for short 4 hour hunts at our recent colonial honey hole. On Sunday we started out gridding a tight area that we felt confident would produce a few goodies – this was my day of teases. First I managed to locate and partially dig a nice looking pit. Quickly I saw a large shard of Milk Pan (early 1700s) in the bottom and for an instant I thought (due to the size of it) I would recover the entire piece. It was not to be – but I did locate enough of it to feel confident that at a return trip it can be sifted and pieced back together.

Second – I dug the first 2-piece button from the site (most everything has been pre 1800) and this one looked as if it was going to be a nice military button – instead I saw flowers. Third – at the end of the day I dug a nice 23mm pewter button with what looked like a number on the face – immediately I thought REV WAR!!! Instead I saw a dog surrounded by a ring of dots. The pooch looks to be a bulldug of some sort. It is a pewter button that is constructed VERY similar to some regimental buttons – any ideas from the experts across the pond? I managed some nice odds and ends throughout the day and totaled 13 buttons.

Yesterday we got out again for a quick afternoon hunt that yielded some volume but in patches. All in all I dug 29 buttons in about a combined time of 7 hours of digging along with probably close to 100 pieces of lead and buck-balls. I recovered a few pieces of shoe buckles, spectacle buckles, thimble and the top portion to an early candlestick. The trade weight was also a nice find that is not always commonly found.

This site has tons of small caliber balls from .36 to .45 and almost all have crude molds and sprus. I dug a few of the “clippings” and lead bars used for molding in one area – they are cool to find but I have never seen them in such volume as I do here. 75% of the balls I have dug from the site are all early – very few modern bullets and buckshot.

One unique piece that I did dig was a pewter disk – on one end is a raised design that looks either like an eagle (bird) or perhaps a four-legged critter (horse). On the reverse is a series of horizontal and vertical lines that looks etched in. Not certain, but just goes to show why you should clean everything off and not just consider it trash. As we have mentioned – this place is loaded with pipe stems and pieces – the right pit will certainly pay off in the future.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• BHa.jpg
    BHa.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 199
  • BHb.jpg
    BHb.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 183
  • BHc.jpg
    BHc.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 189
  • BHd.jpg
    BHd.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 191
  • BHe.jpg
    BHe.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 224
  • BHf.jpg
    BHf.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 198
  • BHg.jpg
    BHg.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 205
  • BHh.jpg
    BHh.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 196
  • BHi.jpg
    BHi.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 178
  • BHj.jpg
    BHj.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 186
  • BHk.jpg
    BHk.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 183
  • BHl.jpg
    BHl.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 185
Upvote 8

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an awesome group pic Dan! I guess we don't realize how many relics we've dug until we get home and pile them up, but I have to admit your pile is bigger:notworthy:. Even though I believe the easy pickins are mostly gone, the site should still have plenty to offer in the way of random finds. And of course the pits we love. BTW that Victorian era weight is probably about the newest item I can recall being dug at this site as it can't date any further back than 1837. Had a great time again, and hope the field dries quickly so we can get back in there over the weekend.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome group pic Dan! I guess we don't realize how many relics we've dug until we get home and pile them up, but I have to admit your pile is bigger:notworthy:. Even though I believe the easy pickins are mostly gone, the site should still have plenty to offer in the way of random finds. And of course the pits we love. BTW that Victorian era weight is probably about the newest item I can recall being dug at this site as it can't date any further back than 1837. Had a great time again, and hope the field dries quickly so we can get back in there over the weekend.

Hey in looking at our pics - we might have each dug half of the same spectacle buckle. I told you I dug a TON of targets - most were just scrap brass and lead - but they add up.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice early recoveries Dan. I hope that rest of the Milk Pan surfaces, sure would be a nice reconstruction project. Good luck when the weather clears.
-Evan

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a mind blowing pile of relics you guys have pulled out of there. Those are the sites that could be hiding something very special. I hope you guys find it! Then sell it for millions :-) then split your millions and live happily ever after. Something like that anyway. Best of luck fellas

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is a lot of targets for two short hunts! Combine that many targets, and the age of the site you're on, the law of averages says an extraordinary find is just around the corner!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Steve.

That's a beautiful pile of relics Dan and I too would like to know more about that button. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey in looking at our pics - we might have each dug half of the same spectacle buckle. I told you I dug a TON of targets - most were just scrap brass and lead - but they add up.

I'll bring my buckle piece the next time we get out, and you do the same. If they match we'll need to have a winner-take-all diggin' contest.

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that looks like fun !!!

Very nice finds !!

Keep uo the good work.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow..... wow........ wow. Some incredible history right there. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

Did I remember to say WOW:dontknow:

CityDigger

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Contrary to some...I hope you find that great relic and DONT sell it! It's all about the hobby, not the money.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contrary to some...I hope you find that great relic and DONT sell it! It's all about the hobby, not the money.

I keep everything that I find - never sold a relic yet and don't intend to. I think that comment made was just in fun. I do hope to find more than just a great relic ha ha call me selfish.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep everything that I find - never sold a relic yet and don't intend to. I think that comment made was just in fun. I do hope to find more than just a great relic ha ha call me selfish.
Hey buddy my comment certainly was in fun! I am in the non seller club as well. The only thing I may do is contribute a few items to our local historical society. Items from important historical sites in my area. I love being able to look at my coins and relics and know exactly where they came from and almost remember how it felt to dig every one of them. It's funny because I can't remember crap :-) but I can remember that.
I must say though, if I did pull a million dollar item it quite possibly would end up in an auction or museum. You guys are killing it out there my friend and I hope your good run continues . All the best, Abe

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic site. Is it a trash pit or privy? You have not hit much glass have you. I bet there is a privy close for sure with all those pipe setms. I will keep checking back and see what they say on your buttons and to see what else you guys find. Great hunt guys and good luck. You all are on it.
HH
TnMtns

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He said sell for millions, so you're suggesting you could go out next hunt, dig another handful of relics and something worth 5 million dollars and not sell it? I think your comment was just for fun because as much as I think it's great for someone to have an appreciation for what they find, i also don't believe anyone who says they would not sell a find for a pile of cash, and it doesn't even have to be millions. You said you didn't sell one yet, well let's keep our fingers crossed and maybe some day you'll be put to the test. :) For the record I've sold plenty but kept a lot more, and early on the money did play a role in my decision, but not so much now. So for something I really like it would take a lot to pry it away from me, probably a lot more than it was worth in some cases, but if an offer came in like that it would probably be gone. I also hope to be tested, many many times! :headbang:

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buddy my comment certainly was in fun! I am in the non seller club as well. The only thing I may do is contribute a few items to our local historical society. Items from important historical sites in my area. I love being able to look at my coins and relics and know exactly where they came from and almost remember how it felt to dig every one of them. It's funny because I can't remember crap :-) but I can remember that.
I must say though, if I did pull a million dollar item it quite possibly would end up in an auction or museum. You guys are killing it out there my friend and I hope your good run continues . All the best, Abe

Ha ha yea a $1M find would be tempting - heck I would just put in the clause "let it go for $800K if I can have visitation rights or joint custody HA HA"

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic site. Is it a trash pit or privy? You have not hit much glass have you. I bet there is a privy close for sure with all those pipe setms. I will keep checking back and see what they say on your buttons and to see what else you guys find. Great hunt guys and good luck. You all are on it.
HH
TnMtns

Just the typical trash pit - really only barely investigated it - but so far 4 different types of glass/pottery emerged. Privies in the country are VERY difficult to locate. They are WELL below the plow line so debris fields are not easily found to zero in on and they are not placed as uniformly as urban sites. Pipes are more generally found in trash pits - while I am sure many are also found in privies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions