$20,000-$30,000 worth of dimes searched coinroll hunting (1/01/2014), to 2/10/2014)

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I started coinroll hunting dimes around the first of January, 2014, after having good luck coinroll hunting for cents, only doing 15-20 boxes of cents finding a 1859 cent in VF, and a 1891 cent in VG, I also did only 5-10 rolls of nickels (yes, 5-10 rolls), and found half a roll of uncirculated 1938 nickels (in one hand wrapped roll), the rest were from 1939-1960.

To start the new year, I took out $250 of dimes, and constantly exchanged each searched box for cash, went to another bank, and changed the searched dimes for cash. It eventually escalated to $500 in dimes. I would search $500+ every night, even finding some banks open on Sunday. I was finding a average of 1-2 silver dimes a box. I got many skunks too. After doing 80-100 boxes, I got lucky and got a record of 8 dimes in one box, including a 1918 Canadian dime. My oldest (sort of dime) was a 1869 10 Kreuzer, from when Austria, and Hungary, were one country. Even though it was only 40% silver, I liked it more than any of my other 90% silver Roosevelts, or even Mercurys.

Sadly, I have been not allowed to exchange/buy any dimes in some local banks, even the bank that I have a account in. In fear of not being able to exchange/buy dimes in the banks I'm still allowed in, I'm taking a short dime roll hunting break (Maybe a week lol :laughing7:). When metal detecting and bottle digging in my yard season comes (In Early April), I will stop coin roll hunting, and start again in the winter.

Also, The teller had her tray out, and I saw a silver edge, I told her to take it out, I gave her a clad quarter for it. The date was 1935d.

coin.jpg coinbfds.jpg coinqwertyuiop.jpg coinzxcvbnm.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 11

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow they don't allow hand rolled coins at my bank. Wish the did :sadsmiley: Really nice finds in such a short time

Pirateofthewaste

Dec 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Bounty Huntter,VFL,win best and bounty hunter pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think I need to give it a try. Congrats

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Totally excellent intensity & good results -- WOW! :hello2: :blob9::occasion18: I'm guessing you either have friend or family member who's cheerfully handing you food during these marathons, or else fast-food drive-through meals are sustaining you, lol. Looking forward to seeing what you next sift out from your next boxes! :cat: Andi

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
Wow, congrats!. I still haven't found any silver in change or coin roll hunting. So I've been mostly sticking to pennies for wheats, etc

Graciegirl

Jun 5, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
I just saw this thread. I really enjoyed reading it. Have you done more since that time? I have had really poor luck with dimes. Ive gone through about 100k and haven't found more than a dozen. Where I have found them (including one today) is in the reject trays at the coin machines. Ive found six since about August. I'll still keep searching the dimes occasionally, but I mostly stick with pennies, nickels and half dollars. Thanks again for the post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread