1st Time Coin Roll Hunting - Land Silver! (Must be beginners luck)

mparis

Greenie
Feb 17, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone, My name is Matt and this is my first thread/post on treasurenet. I am from Long Island, New York and am part of the local metal detecting club out here. I am brand new to metal detecting as well as coin roll hunting as of last January (with metal detecting) and today with Coin Roll hunting. Today since it was really cold outside and the ground was still frozen with about a foot of snow, I figured i'd see what coin roll hunting was all about. After some research and not having any luck with banks carrying half dollars, I decided to go with dimes. I purchased 47 rolls of dimes from two separate banks one being a TD (27 rolls) and the other a Chase bank (20 rolls) with the change receipt I got from TD. The tellers at both banks were very kind and accommodated me very well. I didn't expect much to come from my first attempt, but was really hoping for some silver. Previously over the years of gathering change I have found a few mercury dimes, buffalos and even an 1899 liberty V nickel which really got my blood boiling for collecting.

So after going through the 27 rolls from TD bank and finding no silvers and a bunch of teaser 1965 dimes I felt pretty discouraged. Most of the rolls from TD were machine-rolled, while the 20 from Chase were split between being hand-rolled and machine-rolled.

So I get through the first 5 rolls in the Chase bag and find nothing... Then on the 6th roll (machine-rolled) I found a centennial silver Canadian dime. Up until this point I was a bit confused on how silver looked, but once I saw the Canadian dime
in the roll I was super happy. My day was made and I wasn't expecting much else. From there I opened a few more rolls and again saw that beautiful silver edge staring at me in the face. This time a 1947 Silver Roosevelt dime (hand-rolled). Two hand-rolled rolls later a 1947 Roosevelt dime. From there no other silver dimes until the 2nd to last roll. I've always wanted to find a 1964 Roosevelt dime because I felt they never existed after finding 10 1965 dimes metal detecting and about 15 in the rolls I looked through today. In the 2nd to last roll I found a 1964 Roosevelt dime in very nice condition along with a 2005 Canadian Nickel. I was super happy at this point.

Overall out of 47 rolls I got 4 silver dimes, however they really came out of the last 20.

I also found a 1985 dime that looks to have been struck very heavy on the left side. I was wondering if anyone knew the value on that coin (if it had any)

Anyway let me know what you think and if you have any questions please let me know!. I'm glad to get started and I'll definitely be back to the same bank tomorrow to get some more!

coinroll finds.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 5

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go! it is getting harder to find silver in rolls these days.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice congrats! I haven't tried coin roll hunting yet.

Welcome to T Net! Further down the forums is coin section they may be able to give you info on the dime, try posting it there too. GL. HH! Thanks for sharing!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, congratulations!!

OP
OP
M

mparis

Greenie
Feb 17, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys for the warm welcome! I will definitely post a picture of the dime there.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
that canadian dime of yours with the fish on it (mackerel) was made only one year (1967) for Canada's centenial...the penny had a bird, the nickle a rabbit, the quarter a lynx. that half a wolf and the dollar a goose. nice coin

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

mparis

Greenie
Feb 17, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the information unclemac! - Made my day that I found it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread