General Service Button

MCollett

Sep 26, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Equinox 800
I found this beauty detecting last week with my brother in Union Springs, AL. It was about 6-8 inches down and rang zinc. I was thinking I was going to pull another 1970's penny, as we were pulling those all morning. I found this stuck in the side of the hole.

I believe it is a Civil War era button as the back mark says, "Horstmann Bro. & Co. Phil". I did a little research and found that back mark was 1859-1863.

Even if it is not Civil War, I love finding buttons and wondering what history it saw. Who wore it? How did itnget in a field in Union Springs, AL? It makes me love this hobby even more!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 3

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful button.

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro & Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is indeed a nice button, it is a post war or as some would call it an Indians War button. They lasted up to the 1890's and were slowly phased out.

John

OldAviator

Feb 11, 2014
Montgomery Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is indeed a nice button, it is a post war or as some would call it an Indians War button. They lasted up to the 1890's and were slowly phased out. John

The company shows the name being used from 1859-1863, it's not civil war era?
I am by any means not an expert and I know the net has lots of false data so is their a place to find good reliable data on buttons? I also realize they made tons so they where used during and long after that period.
Thanks

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Nice find! That date was started erroneously somewhere on the web and spread quickly. It is supposed to be 1859-1893 that the company operated under this name. There are details of the backmark that I can't make out which could narrow it down, but the pattern of the eagle does put it post war up to 1893.
I use Warren Tice's book, Uniform Buttons of the United States 1776-1865, as my reference (which does include some information on back marks later than the title suggests).

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro & Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well backmarks are the main to piece to the puzzle of dating a button. The size of the text what the text actually says, is there a period in there etc etc. If you can get a good clear shot of the backmark I can point you in the right direction. Other wise go to the Ridgeway Civil War reference archive.

And then look at Catalog of button backmarks

Mr. Ridgeway has a very good reference of backmarks along with button fronts.

What clued me in to the age of the button was the face of the button not so much the backmark as I knew it would be a Horstman Back.

Warren Tices book should have that button face listed and the dates of manufacture.

John

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
genlee is correct.

An immediate flag is post civil war eagle buttons have a raised shield. Also there is a little more emphasis on the eagle wings and eagle head both in detail and size.

I had the occasion to dig a small lot that held about a handful of the post period buttons, not very far from where there had been a Union Picket point. What was good tactical ground during the civil war, remained so for the Indian War period.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian Wars button - the backmark and button style are dead give aways - honestly I have found far less of those than civil war era general service buttons. Nice find

OP
OP
M

MCollett

Sep 26, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Equinox 800
Thanks everyone for the replies! It is fun to read all of the post that are generated over a single button.

Looking over GenLee's ref of The Catalog of Button Backmarks, I do see some that resemble my button. But, none are exact and some have no pictures of reference. I agree that it is more than likely post war, but my backmark "Horstmann Bro & Co (dot) PHIL (dot)" has no mention on a general service button. The ones that do are state buttons from VA and MA.

I have seen a strikingly similar button labeled "Rare Blackened Indian War General Service Button WW1" (my button looks black). The "WW1" added really made no sense.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on the Indian Wars, but from what I have read, was not the post Civil War Indian wars fought west of the Mississippi River? That being said, I wonder how this button made it to Union Springs, AL?

And hey, a 120yr old button found in the middle of a field in Union Springs, AL is still exciting enough for me!!

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Forgive my lack of knowledge on the Indian Wars, but from what I have read, was not the post Civil War Indian wars fought west of the Mississippi River? That being said, I wonder how this button made it to Union Springs, AL?

The soldier returned home from fighting the Indian Wars and decided to go kill a deer for dinner and lost his button. 8-)

That was the style of the American Army buttons for that period. Did not mean that the button was designed strictly for campaign in that war. Anyone in uniform during that time frame would have been wearing the buttons regardless of where they were stationed.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the "V" is for volunteer * most likely --like a militia or national guard type group would be -- those buttons of that type were used all the way from civil war thru out west "Indain wars" and the Spanish American war as well * -- they were made from 1859 to 1893 * --the great seal button design of 1902 was the "replacement" for them --so after 1902 you will find mostly "great seal buttons" -- please note that many American "volunteer groups" / NATION GUARD groups fought in the SPANISH AMERICAN WAR (1898 /1902) as the standing us army at the time was rather smallish. --the raised shield normally means post civil war design wise --- so a Indian war or Spanish American war "volunteer" vet wearing his old "coat" lost a button in the field --folks did not waste stuff back then -- much like todays guys who wear old milsurp stuff for hunting clothes .

Last edited:

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the "V" is for volunteer * most likely --like a militia or national guard type group would be -- those buttons of that type were used all the way from civil war thru out west "Indain wars" and the Spanish American war as well * -- they were made from 1859 to 1893 * --the great seal button design of 1902 was the "replacement" for them --so after 1902 you will find mostly "great seal buttons" -- please note that many American "volunteer groups" / NATION GUARD groups fought in the SPANISH AMERICAN WAR (1898 /1902) as the standing us army at the time was rather smallish. --the raised shield normally means post civil war design wise --- so a Indian war or Spanish American war "volunteer" vet wearing his old "coat" lost a button in the field --folks did not waste stuff back then -- much like todays guys who wear old milsurp stuff for hunting clothes .

What "V" are you referring to Ivan?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread