63 Caliber Musket Ball. Civil war or what???

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Musket ball.JPG
63 Caliber Musket Ball.

I found this where I find civil war relics. Were these used in the civil war??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All the CW buck and ball stuff I see is 69 caliber. That's why I'm unsure.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it is indeed .63 then it is not a civil war era ball - could be earlier (but the caliber is off). If it were found in an area where you are finding artillery frags then I would suspect it is a caseshot from a ball or shell. What are you using to determine the caliber?

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Prob lead case shot from a Parrott or Borman shell

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Although most folks don't know it, caliber does NOT mean the same thing as a projectile's diameter. Caliber is the diameter of the firearm's bore. For muzzleloading firearms (the projectile is loaded into the barrel's front end), the projectile was always a bit smaller than the bore. For breechloading firearms (the projectile is loaded into the barrel's back end), the projectile is slightly larger than the bore.

Examples:
Civil war breechloading Colt .44-caliber Revolver (bore diameter is .44-inch), the bullet is .46-inch in diameter.
Civil war breechloading Sharps .52-caliber Carbine, the bullet is .53 to .54-inch in diameter.
Civil war muzzleloading Springfield .58-caliber Rifle, the bullet is .56 to .57-inch in diameter.
Civil war muzzleloading Springfield .69-caliber Musket, the bullet (a ball) is .64-inch in diameter.

If CMartis' statement that his lead ball is "63 caliber" is incorrect, and the ball actually measures .63-inch in diameter, it is probably an "eroded" .69-caliber musketball. However, as MarkP, HomeGuardDan, and CSA2K indicated, some varieties of civil war artillery Case-Shot shells contained .64-inch diameter lead balls as antipersonnel balls. Therefore, knowing with certainty whether a .64-inch diameter lead ball is a musketball or a Case-Shot ball can be difficult. Often, case-shot balls were not PERFECTLY round. But I've examined many case-shot balls (taken out of cracked-open Case-Shot shells) which are definitely perfectly-round. HomeGuardDan mentioned a way to tell the difference... if you are finding artillery shell fragments where you found the lead ball, it is probably a case-shot ball.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread