CW STORE CARD""DR. BENNETTS MEDICINES CURE SICKNESS AND PAIN".

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI all. I have been sorting and cleaning my finds and have yet to share this awesome find. Pictured is a CW store card from "DR. BENNETTS MEDICINES CURE SICKNESS AND PAIN" (front) shield surrounded by wreath (back).

During the Civil War (1861-65) the public hoarded all the government issued coins for their bullion value (even the lowly cents). Merchants had to make change with postage stamps, paper script, and private tokens like this one.

This Civil War Token, Fuld Lists It As An OH165N-9a. It was struck for DR. Bennett's, pharmaceutical manufacturer, in Cincinnati, Ohio. There are only a handful of Civil War pharmaceutical medicines and makers in the entire store-card series. DR. Bennett's was one of the first of the patent medicine makers in the United States.

Thanks for looking an Keep Swinging!!

Attachments

• IMG_20131030_194217_452.jpg
    IMG_20131030_194217_452.jpg
    837.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20131030_194337_565.jpg
    IMG_20131030_194337_565.jpg
    747.7 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 9

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised how many store cards came from cincy.. Nice find. CONGRATS.. HH

OP
OP
muddpuppy

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find. Those are pretty rare, love it!

Thanks Tennessee Digger and Fishstick.

I have found there where a few differant styles of these made and I beleive all from the same time frame, some rarer than others. Although i don't beleive this is the rarest, it is in great condition and will look Outstanding in my collection.

Thanks all and Keep Swinging!!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very strange coincidence, as I dug this store card last Saturday. It has imprinted this 500 000 persons annually cured by Dr. Bennett's medicines.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
… DR. Bennett's was one of the first of the patent medicine makers in the United States.

Hello mudd,

Cool token, sir. I've not heard the term; "store card," before, and would appreciate any etymological perspective.

Patent medicines predate the founding fathers. They got there start in England, and the term derives from a King's Patent. There were quite a number of US patent medicines that came before Dr. Bennett.

"The Williams Cincinnati City Directory for 1860 included the listing -- 'Bennett, D.M., druggist and apothecary, s.w.c. Chestnut and W. Row.' The Hamilton County census records indicate Bennett's 'value of personal estate' at $1,000. In 1863 and again in 1864, the city directory lists -- 'Bennett Derobigne M. Druggist and Apothecary, Proprietor of 'Bennett's Family Medicines, and manufacturers of Sealing Wax, &c., s.w.c. Central Av. and Chestnut.' The Cincinnati city directory of 1868, Bennett's last year there, listed him as "physician." D. M. Bennett, the Truth Seeker - Roderick Bradford

"Ohio, Cincinnati. 1864 Dr. Bennett's Medicines. F-165N-18a. Fuld Rarity-8. MS-64 BN (NGC)

Copper. Merchant's information on seven lines. Rv. Indian Head to left, LIBERTY on headdress, 13 stars around, date below. Frosty golden tan with excellent eye appeal and pleasing lustre.

Dr. D.M. (DeRobigne Mortimer) Bennett compounded Dr. Bennett's Family Medicines. Dr. Bennett learned to compound drugs while studying herbal medicine during the time that he was a member of the United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing (i.e. the Shakers). Bennett is probably most famous as "the founder, publisher, and editor of the Truth Seeker, the largest and most radical freethought and reform journal in the world" as described by as Roderick Bradford in his article titled "Theosophical Odyssey of D. M. Bennett" which can be consulted here: http:// theosophical.org/publications/questmagazine/septoct2001/bradford/index.php. 1856 Williams' Cincinnati Directory: not found. 1859-1860 Hawes' Ohio State Gazetteer and Business Directory: not found. 1860 Williams' Cincinnati Directory: D.M. Bennett, druggist and apothecary, southwest corner of Chestnut Street and Western Row. 1860-1861 Hawes' Ohio State Gazetteer and Business Directory: "Cincinnati . . . Bennett D.M., druggist, cor. Central Ave. and Chestnut." 1861 Williams' Cincinnati Directory: "Bennett D.M., druggist, 435 Central Av.". 1862 Williams' Cincinnati Directory: "Bennett Derobigne M., drug store, s.w.c. Chestnut and Central Av., h. 21 Chestnut." 1863 Williams' Cincinnati Directory: "Bennett Derobigne M., druggist and apothecary, proprietor of Bennett's Family Medicines, and manufacturer of sealing wax, s.w.c. Central Av. and Chestnut, h. 21 Chestnut." 1864 Williams' Cincinnati Directory: "Bennett Derobigne M., druggust & apothecary, and manufacturer of sealing wax, & c., s.w.c. Chestnut & Central Av., h. 21 Chestnut." http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetailPrintFriendly/71858

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat store card! I especially like the patent medicine motif, since I started my digging career in search of old bottles and found quite a few patent medicines.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
muddpuppy

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surf, thanks for the information and the time taken to research Dr. Bennett, very interesting. The following is some information and the web address on store cards and I hope it is what you wanted.

History of Civil War Tokens
[SIZE=+1]
What are Civil War tokens, you ask? These "non-government privately issued quasi-money metallic and composition devices" are arbitrarily divided into three different categories by collectors and dealers. These divisions are :
  • Store Cards
  • Sutler Tokens
  • Patriotic Civil War Tokens
A brief history of the Store Card can be found in the introduction of U.S. Civil War Store Cards by George and Melvin Fuld :
[/SIZE]
"Early in 1862 all metallic currency was gradually withdrawn from circulation. Citizens, anticipating the possible increase in value of all metals, commenced hoarding gold, silver and even copper to such an extent that in a short time there were no metallic coins of any denomination in circulation. Tradesman were thus forced to issue a medium that would supply the place of small coins, and the first of these issued on account of the lack of the proper Government currency made their first appearance in Cincinnati in the Fall of 1862. In the Spring of 1863, New York followed this example. The first to be made in New York was the Lindenmueller currency, of which a million pieces were struck. William H. Bridgens, the die-cutter, then issued the Knickerbocker currency, which consisted of numerous varieties, and were struck in large quantities."

"The issue of similar pieces became general throughout the Eastern and Middle Western States, until it was estimated that not less than 25,000,000 of these private tokens were in general circulation, which must have included between 7,000 and 8,000 varieties."

"These little coins filled the wants of the trades-people, and were accepted as a means of exchange for the value, which was usually one cent. They undoubtedly were a source of great relief and convenience; but their irresponsible character soon attracted the attention of the Federal Authorities. It is said that the Third Avenue Railroad of New York requested Lindenmueller to redeem a large number of his tokens, which they accepted in the course of business, but he laughingly refused to do. The railroad had no redress, and it is not improbable that incidents of this character forced the Government to put a stop to their issue. This was done by the passage of an act of Congress in 1864, forbidding private individuals from issuing any form of money."
[SIZE=+1] There are more than 8,500 different Store Cards known that were issued by approximately 1,500 merchants from 22 different States and almost 400 towns.

Sutler tokens were a special kind of Store Card that was issued by sutlers who supplied the Union Army. A sutler was a vendor who followed the army and sold provisions and luxury goods such as are found in our modern day PX or post exchange. He supplied tobacco, candy, dried fruit, canned goods, writing materials (and sometimes liquor) to the soldier who could afford the high priced goods. Many of the sutlers of this era issued metal tokens to insure themselves the trade of soldiers to whom they extended credit. These tokens ranged from 3¢ to $1 with both the sutler's name and the soldier's regiment listed.

The Civil War Token Society - History
[/SIZE]

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very kool dig !

I likefinding them and appreciate the interesting and informative history of the store cards and tokens . All US and silvers were pulled out of circulation :censored: did not know that ........

dawg

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the old Snake Oils that were popular from the 1830's until early 1900's. Mostly alcohol mixed with other ingredients for color and flavor. If you drank enough of it you felt better until you passed out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread