New Here and need help with possibly significant find!

diggergirlinms

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please help! Me and my sister were out hunting for civil war relics in a place where we have found union buttons and other things. we are from Raymond, MS. About 1/4 of a mile away was once a grand hotel called Coopers Well Hotel. The union soldiers burned it down when they came through. We found what looks to be a door emblem to one of the hotel rooms. we posted our finds on facebook and have had 2 collectors contact us. Can someone tell me if we found something that is worth something. we like to keep our finds but we've never had people contact us. Also can someone tell me about the piece of a gun we found. thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• DSC08027.JPG
    DSC08027.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC08029.JPG
    DSC08029.JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 243
Upvote 10

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a word of advice, i would never post my exact hunting locations on the website. Sadly not everyone out there is honest...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on super finds! GL. HH!

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that badge was attached to a room key........probably shaped like that so that you didn't forget to give it back (would be uncomfortable in your pocket)
Excellant finds!

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Definitely a room number plate or key tag, found mine

ForumRunner_20140224_214151.png

here in Vegas last summer during a road tearout. Unsure of date but thinking turn of the century.

Last edited:

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would start with the local library. They will have a great deal of history and chances are, you may be able to find some photos of the hotel inside and may get lucky enough to see the door badges. It is a six pointed star which may possibly be a badge of some sort of security personnel (someone else mentioned something like this). Since you found it 1/4 mile from the location, i would think maybe this could be the case. Check with local historians. There may be a book specifically about the hotel since it was such a large venue. Good luck and excellent find!

paulof

Feb 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nm just saw someone beat me to the link

Paul
Southern Illinois

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Welcome to t-net! :cat: :hello: Your Cooper Wells Hotel item may be quite rare! :hello2: :blob9: :hello2: Don't be in any hurry to sell it because as you learn more about it, you'll also be able to find out its true value, which may be a lot higher than offers you may be getting right now! HAVE FUN! Andi

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a big hotel. "After the war the Spengler family from Vicksburg bought the facility and a new hotel was built. The resort then reached its zenith from around 1880 until 1920. Known as the "Saratoga of the South" the hotel could accommodate up to 800 guests." View attachment 950368

dang. that place was huge, especially for the time period

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread