New Here and need help with possibly significant find!

diggergirlinms

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please help! Me and my sister were out hunting for civil war relics in a place where we have found union buttons and other things. we are from Raymond, MS. About 1/4 of a mile away was once a grand hotel called Coopers Well Hotel. The union soldiers burned it down when they came through. We found what looks to be a door emblem to one of the hotel rooms. we posted our finds on facebook and have had 2 collectors contact us. Can someone tell me if we found something that is worth something. we like to keep our finds but we've never had people contact us. Also can someone tell me about the piece of a gun we found. thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• DSC08027.JPG
    DSC08027.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC08029.JPG
    DSC08029.JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 243
Upvote 10

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum! Those are some outstanding finds! Local history items are always worth a premium.. On that badge, I would think you could set your own price!
The pistol looks like a boot pistol .. are there any markings on it anywhere?

wkrp43

May 24, 2013
western NC
Detector(s) used
F2...BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no authority on the subjects, but nice finds. Keep it up. Welcome to tnet from NC.

OP
OP
D

diggergirlinms

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could not find any markings on it anywhere. I was wondering if it could have been from the civil war because we found an old camp site out there and have found several civil war relics.

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice badge !!!

Iron Patch is a good one to contact to get an ID.

gl....sweet find !!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I could not find any markings on it anywhere. I was wondering if it could have been from the civil war because we found an old camp site out there and have found several civil war relics.
It is possible that it is, and the closest thing I can find in style is a pepperbox .. although I don't think that is what your frame is from. Yours obviously had wooden grips, but they were slender with the arched top, and while I have found some similar, I haven't found a match yet ... I'll keep looking.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Small single action revolver pocket pistol probably either .22, .31 caliber or .32 caliber.Most likely a smith & wesson or a Colt as they were the most popular.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
All right Red,I,m going to delete my post and add pics showing some of what you describe and some singles near where I had been leaning. Think you got it though.:notworthy: With a leaning towards yours as there seems to be just a bit of flange in area behind where a cylinder would be.May be a bump wher cyl rod was also. A piece like #103 has short section of frame in front of trigger that would need to have been broken to shorten on many single shots to match what appears to be a short length on diggergirls found piece. Good job Red.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sin...zLIaIygGJ8IGQDQ&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

diggergirlinms

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do ya'll think its old or modern? I'm no expert. And thank ya'll for letting me know some info on it!!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never seen any kind of door emblem like that. if it were, I would think 1st floor, 74th room. that would seem really large for a hotel of that period. looks more like a hotel detective badge to me

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Diggergirlinms, Congrats on the super finds. My observations on the badge. From the front, it appears to be a numbered key fob, or, it may have been mounted to something. I see the bottom point elongated and wider that the others, like it was used as a mounting "stem." Are there any remnants of pins, catches, bolts or other fastening devices on the rear of the badge, or visible hallmarks? Enjoy digging there, I am sure you will find more goodies! Sub 8-)

OP
OP
D

diggergirlinms

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing is the top is bent and it has a small hole in the top of it. Nothing else is on the back of it.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
All right Red,I,m going to delete my post and add pics showing some of what you describe and some singles near where I had been leaning. Think you got it though. With a leaning towards yours as there seems to be just a bit of flange in area behind where a cylinder would be.May be a bump wher cyl rod was also. A piece like #103 has short section of frame in front of trigger that would need to have been broken to shorten on many single shots to match what appears to be a short length on diggergirls found piece. Good job Red.

Hard to really place it though,nothing in the picture to compare sizes,not much of it left lol.My brother has an old .32 pocket pistol,from around 1930s.Double action though but its still pretty tiny.No loading gates on the old single action ones.Pull the cylinder pin out to reload.Then if youre in a hurry,dropping the cylinder,then youre a dead man:laughing9:

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
never seen any kind of door emblem like that. if it were, I would think 1st floor, 74th room. that would seem really large for a hotel of that period.

It was a big hotel.

"After the war the Spengler family from Vicksburg bought the facility and a new hotel was built. The resort then reached its zenith from around 1880 until 1920. Known as the "Saratoga of the South" the hotel could accommodate up to 800 guests."

k32.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread