New Here and need help with possibly significant find!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: New Here and need help with possibly significant find!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2014
    12 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

New Here and need help with possibly significant find!

Please help! Me and my sister were out hunting for civil war relics in a place where we have found union buttons and other things. we are from Raymond, MS. About 1/4 of a mile away was once a grand hotel called Coopers Well Hotel. The union soldiers burned it down when they came through. We found what looks to be a door emblem to one of the hotel rooms. we posted our finds on facebook and have had 2 collectors contact us. Can someone tell me if we found something that is worth something. we like to keep our finds but we've never had people contact us. Also can someone tell me about the piece of a gun we found. thanks so much for your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08027.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	915.4 KB 
ID:	950250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08029.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	910.4 KB 
ID:	950251  

Welcome to the forum! Those are some outstanding finds! Local history items are always worth a premium.. On that badge, I would think you could set your own price!
    The pistol looks like a boot pistol .. are there any markings on it anywhere?
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

May 2013
    western NC
    F2...BH
    670 times
    I'm no authority on the subjects, but nice finds. Keep it up. Welcome to tnet from NC.

Feb 2014
    12 times
    I could not find any markings on it anywhere. I was wondering if it could have been from the civil war because we found an old camp site out there and have found several civil war relics.

ca
    Fisherman

Aug 2013
    Nova Scotia
    FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
    1039 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Very nice badge !!!

Iron Patch is a good one to contact to get an ID.

gl....sweet find !!

Quote Originally Posted by diggergirlinms View Post
    I could not find any markings on it anywhere. I was wondering if it could have been from the civil war because we found an old camp site out there and have found several civil war relics.
    It is possible that it is, and the closest thing I can find in style is a pepperbox .. although I don't think that is what your frame is from. Yours obviously had wooden grips, but they were slender with the arched top, and while I have found some similar, I haven't found a match yet ... I'll keep looking.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

Feb 2014
    12 times
    Thanks you so much!

Feb 2014
    12 times
    Thank You!

Feb 2014
    12 times
    Thank You

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7953 times
    The Truth
    Small single action revolver pocket pistol probably either .22, .31 caliber or .32 caliber.Most likely a smith & wesson or a Colt as they were the most popular.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    19187 times
    All right Red,I,m going to delete my post and add pics showing some of what you describe and some singles near where I had been leaning. Think you got it though. With a leaning towards yours as there seems to be just a bit of flange in area behind where a cylinder would be.May be a bump wher cyl rod was also. A piece like #103 has short section of frame in front of trigger that would need to have been broken to shorten on many single shots to match what appears to be a short length on diggergirls found piece. Good job Red.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sing...w=1366&bih=643
    Last edited by releventchair; Feb 24, 2014 at 08:16 AM.
    Red James Cash likes this.

us
    Anthony

May 2013
    City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
    Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
    6492 times
    Nice finds, and welcome to the forum...
    diggergirlinms likes this.

Feb 2014
    12 times
    Do ya'll think its old or modern? I'm no expert. And thank ya'll for letting me know some info on it!!

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    4578 times
    never seen any kind of door emblem like that. if it were, I would think 1st floor, 74th room. that would seem really large for a hotel of that period. looks more like a hotel detective badge to me
    EagleDown and diggergirlinms like this.

us
    Unveiler of "Soiled" Secrets...

Jan 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
    7283 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Hi Diggergirlinms, Congrats on the super finds. My observations on the badge. From the front, it appears to be a numbered key fob, or, it may have been mounted to something. I see the bottom point elongated and wider that the others, like it was used as a mounting "stem." Are there any remnants of pins, catches, bolts or other fastening devices on the rear of the badge, or visible hallmarks? Enjoy digging there, I am sure you will find more goodies! Sub
    TonyTiger likes this.
    I know LEO and Fire badges...I know toy soldiers...I am learning about everything else from you!

Confuse-Us Say: "Man wearing steel toed boots should not metal detect."

What "unearth" are you doing out there?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links