Inspired in NZ

Craig NZ

Mar 3, 2007
Blenheim
Hi All
I Live in Blenheim, a town at the northern end of the South Island of New Zealand.
I've been clearing my local beaches of rubbish for a couple of years now, searching long enough to find enough money for an ice cream on the way home and loving every minute of it! I found treasurenet a week ago and have been glued to it all week. You've enspired me to start reseaching local history and possible sites that could hold old and interesting relics. Maoris were the first people here but remained stone age until the arrival of europeans who started settling here in the mid 1800's - 1900. I am in the process of gaining access to a site where an old pub/hotel operated in the 1800's between Blenheim and our neibouring town to the west,Nelson, on the track that was traveled by the goldminers of this area to the nearest Bank. Im quite excited.
This afternoon I had some spare time so I got permission to search around an old house owned by friends just down the road from me. I spent about four hours digging up nails and a few recent coins from the lawn before I reached the main doorway. In the area beside the steps there were a lot of signals and on inspection, a lot more nails but then I uncovered a Crown badge type thing? maybe someone might have some ideas of its use. Still more signal in the hole so i continued down and uncovered another coin. I new when I picked it up that it didnt feel like any recent coin we have and when I wiped it and looked, I had to blink and look again. I thought I saw a date 1875. I looked again to discover that yes I had. I didnt quite know what to do but tryed to remain calm continue seaching. an inch under the coin I found and a bullet shell but it was hopeless. I was starting to shake too much to carry on so I packed up and headed home with a doppey grin on my face to tell all.
I will go back as soon as I can and continue looking. Im well and truley hooked now for life.
I will need to spend some time to ID the shell.
Thankyou all for your inspiration.
I look foward to seeing your future finds and continuing to share mine.

cheers
Craig

Attachments

• P3100024.JPG
    P3100024.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 477
  • P3100025.JPG
    P3100025.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 473
  • P3100021.JPG
    P3100021.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 467
  • P3100022.JPG
    P3100022.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 471
  • P3100026.JPG
    P3100026.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 460
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Zealand? Great to have you post on Tnet and welcome to the forum! What an awesome badge you found, that is great and in very nice condition. That English Farthing held up well. The brass casing looks like it is from a Henry Martini Enfield. Thanks for the post and HH, Mike

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
Welcome to Treasure Net, and a great set of finds also

Eddy

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craig, good to see someone from the land of the long white cloud. Your crown is a military officers badge. The crown alone signifies a Major but it could have also belonged to a Lieutenant Colonel (crown and one pip), Colonel (crown and two pips) or Brigadier (crown and three pips).

The crown is the Tudor crown which was used on coins and medals in Britain and Commonwealth Nations between 1902 and 1953 until Queen Elizabeth ascended the throne. Rank badges were then changed to reflect the St Edwards crown which is a different shape.

The 1875 farthing which you have found is a beauty - well done. From the small H under the date it was minted at the Heaton Mint in Birminham England.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Net, You are getting off to a great start with your finds.

A few years ago, my nephew from Southern California, had a friend from New Zealand who invited him over, he took his mountain bike, traveled the country, took lots of beautiful pic's, & had a once in a lifetime adventure.

HH, Fossis....................

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Nice finds and you sure do have a beautiful country ! Looks like your coin is silver to boot and in fine shape! Go get some more!

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW you have some neat finds . Welcome to the forum. Do you have very many people around you that have detectors? I bet you will find some more great treasures. HH
Burdie

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Craig: Nice to hear from someone from New Zealand! Welcome to the Net! During WW2, my Dad spent some time there on R & R. Check to see if any of those Camps are still around? Love those Pix!

HH Joe

OP
OP
C

Craig NZ

Mar 3, 2007
Blenheim
Thanks Harry for your response and info.
It allows you to imagine the history of a treasure when you know what it is.

Thankyou Burdie also for your response.
In answer to your question, no I don't know anyone with a MD and haven't seen or heard of anyone.
A bit lonely but at least places wont be hunted out.
I do have a friend that is interested so might get him into it.

thanks all for your rsponses

Craig

cream43

Jan 3, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Great Post and a big hearty welcome!!! Hope to see more finds from your great country! There are alot of us crazies out here! LOL ;D ;D

G

garbage digger

Welcome to T-net those are some great pieces. I look forward to seeing more of you're finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions