Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All, Work has been crazy, but we finally got out today to do some Louisiana Diggin! The first cane row I was on had a nice silver Catholic medallion in it. Then we did a couple rows without much significant turning up. All of a sudden, I hear Shanegalang yelling that he's got a copper. I came over to see a Braided Hair LC in his hand. :headbang: 185? LC. :) A row or two later, I got a sweet 1842-O Seated Half Dime with a square nail hole in it. Gives it a lot of character. :) And not a bad looking coin, to boot. Then I dug another Catholic medallion. I'd love to dig a St. Anthony medallion sometime. (patron saint of Lost Items!) 8-) Anyhow, I also got an excellent silver thimble. Then Shanegalang dug a plantation token. Says "COMMISSARY/BOHNE/CHECK" on it. Would love some help with the ID if anyone knows anything... I also got a Jr. Deputy Sheriff badge, which is a cool find. Anyhow, it's nice to be back with some old coins and silver at a new site we've discovered. It is a mixed site, with some modern trash, but as long as the old coins are coming up we're happy! We're overdue for a good military button, so fingers crossed! Enjoy the video and photos below:

[video=youtube;JTwFUVsqG5k]http://www.youtube.com/watchv=JTwFUVsqG5k&feature=youtu.be[/video]

180_0676.JPG HPIM4523.JPG HPIM4524.JPG

HPIM4518.JPG HPIM4519.JPG HPIM4520.JPG

I like how the medallion's loop had broken (photo below), and someone had punched a new hole in it to keep on wearing it. Such a personal item, and that adds another layer of meaning to the find. The LC is 185? The ground down here ain't kind to copper. :( But its MUCH rarer to dig a copper than Seated or Spanish Silver. We've probably dug close to 100 Seated/Capped/Spanish silvers in 2 years down here--and this is only the 5th or 6th LC to be dug.

HPIM4521.JPG HPIM4522.JPG 100_5667.JPG
Shanegalang dug this tiny, interesting heart. Some sort of jewelry, but a neat find!
shaneglanag.jpg HPIM4516.JPG heart.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 18

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Hey Buck, another great hunt. It's been cold this way, so not much digging. Keep it up!

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
It was so fun to get out for a full day again! I really enjoyed it. Life sucks because it gets in the way of digging. I'm fairly certain that the LC is 1852. like we stated, this Louisiana gumbo ground is not kind to copper. I love the religious medallions as much as coins! So much character! Great day buddy! Shane-Cane-field Bandits!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the medallions.. they are so awesome... ugh.. I want to go find one !!!!

Great hunt... bet you find a lot more great stuff at that site.!!!!

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see you guys back out again, great finds. We are along way from digging up here as it is 10 degrees and 2' of snow on the ground.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to see you guys getting back out Buck. It's been a miserable winter up this way, and the weather has caused all kinds of issues with digging which is unusual around here. Is that a new site or a return trip to an old one? Any hunt is a success when you can bring home silver and copper. Nice going guys, and hope to see more recoveries from you in the very near future.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see you guys back out again, great finds. We are along way from digging up here as it is 10 degrees and 2' of snow on the ground.

Very sorry to hear that. It was in the 30s here last night, with frost on my windshield, which is unusual for us this far south. I can only imagine what it's like up there. :(

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you guys getting back out Buck. It's been a miserable winter up this way, and the weather has caused all kinds of issues with digging which is unusual around here. Is that a new site or a return trip to an old one? Any hunt is a success when you can bring home silver and copper. Nice going guys, and hope to see more recoveries from you in the very near future.

New, small, mixed-era site. You know, one of the most frustrating things about a mixed site is trying to figure out where in the giant expanse of mixed finds the real center of the oldest site was. There were certainly two houses, if not three on the site. One CW-era, one turn-of-the-century. Perhaps one later, judging from the can slaw and 1950s stuff. Or just a popular parking/drinking spot after the later house fell down...

Frustrating. But the pottery signs were early to mid 1800s.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's my kind of scouting trip. I like it all. It took a while for the LCs to surface there my friend. Congrats to you & Shane on a fine hunt, Q.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, love the silver religious medals!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buck!! Neat Finds and CONGRATS!! Maybe you could use the Deputy Sheriffs Badge for a Get Out of Jail next time you encounter the guy who gave you the Green Stamps on your last outing!! He He!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's my kind of scouting trip. I like it all. It took a while for the LCs to surface there my friend. Congrats to you & Shane on a fine hunt, Q.

Glad we're hitting them now. Seems like they only started circulating around the 1850s in Louisiana. We've never found a single LC on our tavern site, and the latest coin dug there was 1846.

Cheers,

Buck

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs there! Love the medallion, rare to get them in silver. Same goes to the thimble! Good day! Congrats!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs there! Love the medallion, rare to get them in silver. Same goes to the thimble! Good day! Congrats!

Yes, it is unusual to get them in silver. Most I dig are aluminum. But I have a few that are silver. I think we've dug close to two dozen catholic medallions down here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread