Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner, Buck, got us on the site of an old building from ca. 1830 that had been torn down. I found this buckle behind where the building stood. There were known Confederate and Union troops that camped in this area at the end of the CW.

I have looked at several books on buckles and so far come up with nothing. Closest I come is in "Plates and Buckles of the American Military 1795-1874" by Sydney C. Kerkisis. On pages 10, 11, 12 there are buckles show of similar design but the belt loops are not the same. And those buckles are Infantry, Artillery and generic service.

This buckle is obviously Navy oriented. There are buttons from the War of 1812 era that have a similar eagle with oval shield containing an anchor.

It is quite surprising how much of the original gold plating remained on the buckle. The only reason the eagle lost his is because when I dug it I took a toothbrush to it in order to find out what the design was. I know I shouldn't have but around here our ground is not usually this friendly to plating. Most places is good old red clay but this particular location had dark sandy soil for some reason.

At any rate if anyone has seen this style buckle and is willing to fill me in I sure would appreciate it.

Attachments

• P2240023.jpg
    P2240023.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 527
  • P2240026.jpg
    P2240026.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 624
Upvote 39

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find & congrats on the banner! I'm skeptical about museums, if I gave anything away it would have to be on permanent display. I wouldn't want it sitting in a box... A museum lost something of mine before. I'll keep my relics in my personal museum for now. Maybe when I die the museum will get a few things lol
Well first I would like to commend the poster on his find, and banner. Finding something this rare is tremendous to say the least, and should probably make next years "Best Finds" issue. I don't think the Naval Museum at Annapolis will "lose" or sell this relic. Thirdly...you're a better man than I for donating it, as I would definitely sell this piece. CONGRATS......and good luck! Hope to hear how it works out. Hogge

peter2t

Mar 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have half of a c1810 usn belt plate and dependent on size is for a sword or dirk belt - i know of two others that are pictured in my book on navy plates - very rare and is excellent condition would love to add to my collection

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
super nice buckle. This is a great Civil War save, congratulations

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on a great find. Nice Civil War save.

acepro

Mar 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these can be worth big $$$ great find and a beautiful peice of history

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! Awesome buckle! CONGRATULATIONS on digging that great BANNER find! :thumbsup:

:)
Breezie

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow thats a sweet find, i guess theres not many of these 1803 belt plates out there, sounds quite rare :thumbsup:

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad a$$ find, congrats...

Graysondigger

Jan 14, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My hunting partner, Buck, got us on the site of an old building from ca. 1830 that had been torn down. I found this buckle behind where the building stood. There were known Confederate and Union troops that camped in this area at the end of the CW. I have looked at several books on buckles and so far come up with nothing. Closest I come is in "Plates and Buckles of the American Military 1795-1874" by Sydney C. Kerkisis. On pages 10, 11, 12 there are buckles show of similar design but the belt loops are not the same. And those buckles are Infantry, Artillery and generic service. This buckle is obviously Navy oriented. There are buttons from the War of 1812 era that have a similar eagle with oval shield containing an anchor. It is quite surprising how much of the original gold plating remained on the buckle. The only reason the eagle lost his is because when I dug it I took a toothbrush to it in order to find out what the design was. I know I shouldn't have but around here our ground is not usually this friendly to plating. Most places is good old red clay but this particular location had dark sandy soil for some reason. At any rate if anyone has seen this style buckle and is willing to fill me in I sure would appreciate it.

Absolutely AWSOME! Want to trade for my CSA plate? (Just Kidding) Congrats and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread