Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner, Buck, got us on the site of an old building from ca. 1830 that had been torn down. I found this buckle behind where the building stood. There were known Confederate and Union troops that camped in this area at the end of the CW.

I have looked at several books on buckles and so far come up with nothing. Closest I come is in "Plates and Buckles of the American Military 1795-1874" by Sydney C. Kerkisis. On pages 10, 11, 12 there are buckles show of similar design but the belt loops are not the same. And those buckles are Infantry, Artillery and generic service.

This buckle is obviously Navy oriented. There are buttons from the War of 1812 era that have a similar eagle with oval shield containing an anchor.

It is quite surprising how much of the original gold plating remained on the buckle. The only reason the eagle lost his is because when I dug it I took a toothbrush to it in order to find out what the design was. I know I shouldn't have but around here our ground is not usually this friendly to plating. Most places is good old red clay but this particular location had dark sandy soil for some reason.

At any rate if anyone has seen this style buckle and is willing to fill me in I sure would appreciate it.

Attachments

• P2240023.jpg
    P2240023.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 528
  • P2240026.jpg
    P2240026.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 625
Upvote 39

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The collectors' reference-book "American Military Belt Plates" by O'Donnell & Campbell shows your buckle's main disc as Plate #976, on page 580, listing it as an 1803 US Navy Officer small sword or dirk belt plate.

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ID Cannonball. I just ordered a copy of the book. Looking forward to seeing what the other half of it looks like. Buck and I have spent aprox 30 hours between us trying to find the still missing part. No luck thus far.

bobby5

Jun 19, 2012
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Garrett Carrot, Several Older Garrett Detectors and a Bounty Hunter.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an Awesome find, I will even Vote Banner.

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner find nice buckle

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is an awesome piece of history. i hope you do find the other half. and this is deffinantly worthy of the banner.

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very appreciative for the banner nominations. Thanks to all.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've nominated your buckle find for the Banner. Here is what I wrote in my nomination message: This 1803 US Navy small sword or dirk (dagger) belt-buckle is so extraordinarily rare that the author of the book "American Military Belt Plates" was only able to locate one piece of its three components, with a very-badly-worn-down emblem, to photograph for inclusion in the book. The TreasureNet finder's specimen is two of the three parts, AND the emblem on it is clear-&-sharp.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've nominated your buckle find for the Banner. Here is what I wrote in my nomination message: This 1803 US Navy small sword or dirk (dagger) belt-buckle is so extraordinarily rare that the author of the book "American Military Belt Plates" was only able to locate one piece of its three components, with a very-badly-worn-down emblem, to photograph for inclusion in the book. The TreasureNet finder's specimen is two of the three parts, AND the emblem on it is clear-&-sharp.

Thats what we can call rare and worth to be on the Banner!

@Curious The George, great find! Congrats! My vote is in too. :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know alot about these, but what I do know is that its the only one I have seen posted & I like it alot!

My votes in!

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Someone refresh my memory on how to vote this buckle for banner. Thanks. Awesome find my friend even if you don't come up with the rest of it. It has my vote.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone refresh my memory on how to vote this buckle for banner. Thanks. Awesome find my friend even if you don't come up with the rest of it. It has my vote.

top right hand corner of his first post. When you press the 'nominate banner' button (red), make a comment like 'I'm voting it banner'.

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Sweet find ya got there!! I'll vote it :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions