Wow, need some encouragement

smitty010203

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got an AT Pro over the weekend.. went out today to an outdoor theater with the 5x8 coil. Started off in Zero mode iron at 33 Pro mode Iron on. Switched around iron on and off cause there was so much noise. Also switch between standard mode.. found targets and ran over them with both pro iron on and standard iron off just to check things out. Tried digging as much as I could get a decent hit on. I hate knowing 99% i will dig a tab but apparently you have to to find rings and such. Eventually went into coin mode.. Rough day.People seem to have settings they like to run. I am starting to realize Its all about the areas. Your not going to find relics in a 10 year old park and your not going to find gold rings in the middle of the woods (typically) The hard part is this seems like a place that might have some rings. 60-70 years old concrete benches with grass in between I guess next time I need to just discrim out 50-70 maybe even up to 80. all these tabs ran 67-71ish for the most part.:sad11:

IMG_6633[1].JPG

Upvote 3

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need 100-hours on a new machine to know what you're doing. If you are not digging pulltabs, you will not be getting any gold rings - simple as that. Just hang in there, and keep that coil low as you swing slow.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dig it all man, when you get trash be happy you helped purify the soil

Trapster

Greenie
Mar 2, 2014
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive dug enough trash to make the trash man hate life but some good ones along the way they are out there just gotta keep diggin.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff and Terry put it well, I run the AT gold with the 5x8 and change settings depending on
the amount of trash, where im digging and what im going after.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of good threads on here that show how persistence in a trashy area pays off. The ground is loaded with treasure you just have to dig in the right spot

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can appreciate the difficulty. I was at the remains of an old railroad building today and couldn't even find iron. Ran the detector over my change to make sure it was working.

OP
OP
S

smitty010203

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the reason it seemed like a bad day was the fact that I dug so many pennies. A quarter would have been nice. Found out my Gpa passed away today too so that certainly didnt help the disappointment of a handful of tabs and pennies. Ill keep it up though. Certainly dont expect to find gold rings anytime soon. Honestly its a good spot I just think it would take a year to cover it all if you dug every target, and its not even that big of an area. I need to get with some guys with some experience in the Raleigh area. Not necessarily because I want someone to help teach me, just cause going with someone else would be more fun.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The idea that you can't find old relics in a new park is a myth. There is a chance that older stuff may be a little deeper and masked by newer junk and change, but if you're diligent about clearing it out, the old stuff will peek through. It always helps, too, to know what was there before it became a park.

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master and Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HI there
I got my AT Pro last year.I like it ! I find myself working with the Pro Mode more than the standard mode.
I have found that,you have to find those settings that work best for you. dont worry the right setting will come along.
Give it time,and don't give up. Post that silver coin when you find it!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss man ! Hang in there - you can get plenty of good tips here and on youtube - for your specific detecting concerns ,
otherwise their is no substitute for time in trade ! Get out as much as you can , and use the least possible discrimination for the first
year on your machine - find a buddy or two to hunt with and to learn from - ENJOY !

OP
OP
S

smitty010203

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks fellas. i have already learned a ton from youtube and this forum before I even got my hands on the AT Pro. So far I really like it. One thing I never did read before I started metal detecting is that it is....hard...work... ha.. Ill keep at it. hopefully the good stuff will come soon.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See below for the secret of being successful metal detecting.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I remember correctly, the Pro mode will have sound according to how deep a target is, so it is very good to use when you want to dig all the deeper/older targets. I remember being frustrated with the AT Pro until I got used to it. I couldn't stand Pro Mode for a long time and then I would run it in Pro Mode and then go back running in Standard mode because it makes iffy signals a little more clear. It will also help if you swing from 90 degree angles and dig the clear or consistent signals. You will also want to dig low reading targets. A hunting partner of mine found a tiny gold ring and he said it was bouncing in the low 40s' and up to 46.

I get discouraged when I dig at a old historic home or place and come up empty, but I have also dug on the side of a highway and find silver. It is all guess work sometimes.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself I wouldn't discriminate anything out as gold can be in the range you are going to disc out it's a lot of extra digging but one of these times it will be the GOLDEN TICKET so heads up. Sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can find a detecting partner to make it more enjoyable for you.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need 100-hours on a new machine to know what you're doing. If you are not digging pulltabs, you will not be getting any gold rings - simple as that. Just hang in there, and keep that coil low as you swing slow.

What he said - you start throwing out the tabs with discrim and you'll be missing gold - and possibly other targets too
learn your machine - TIME + TALENT - WILL = TREASURE

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Just like everyone said learn how your pro reacts to all forms of metal and where it falls in sound and in your numbers. Been detecting for 20 years and when I got my pro I dug all targets for my first 4 hunts just to see what sounds lined up with targets and trash. It pays off for me now to not dig so much trash, and of course the big one to learn is research, research, research. It will come to you and so will the treasure. Good luck.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any site can be a good metal detecting site, I detected 2 large cents and a half cent in the middle of this big woods 5 years ago, now the woods has brand new houses on it. I lost a good site there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions