Old Cabin

cj5wagomando

Greenie
Mar 5, 2007
bay area, ca
Found a half dozen square nails,a wood burning stove part and some bullets at friends cabin. (east s.f. bay area foothills)

Was checking a site that my friend says a house used to stand, but was torn down or otherwise was no longer standing since the '40's. So I detected around the "flatter" area where we assumed the house would have stood. Started with iron hits right off the bat, but as I moved about there was certainly a hot spot where the nails were and I could with a bit mor time probably distinguish the basic outline of the structure .

Lots of bullet/button signals, only dug about 1/10th of the signals as I had my two boys with me and "we" decided on out first time to just cover some ground and see if anything really jumped out and MD'ing was only a small portion of the reason we were up there. Probably 1 hour of detecting.

So if I can get up there again to check this out further, suggestions would be appreciated.

New here and to metal detecting, but am using an MXT and switched between Relic and Coin/Jewelery get a feel for the machine.

--Also, hit a tot lot sat morning before we went to the cabin and found 3 new pennies, a quarter and 3 barrets.

Thanks

Attachments

• scan010000_edited.jpg
    scan010000_edited.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 415
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cj5wagomando

cj5wagomando

Greenie
Mar 5, 2007
bay area, ca
any suggestions on how or if I should proceed with this site would be appreciated.

Would I have to clear all the bullets (dig everything) to get to the "good stuff" if there is any. those bullets are hard to pick out of the dirt -look like rocks..

thanks.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Net !!!!!

Have fun with the boys, they grow up too fast,
I know from experience, ;D

Fossis....................

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those things that look like the dirt, get a handheld pinpointer and it will save you a bunch of time. Around a house demolition site you are going to find all kinds of trash. I would discriminate out iron and leave all the rest to dig unless you are also looking for iron relics. Otherwise you will have to dig everything. If that's the case, grid off small areas and work them excusively until you quit getting signals. Or, you can just dig the shallow signals first and then go back for the deeper ones. Monty

OP
OP
cj5wagomando

cj5wagomando

Greenie
Mar 5, 2007
bay area, ca
thanks,

Good advice Monty. And Fossis I like yours too.

Do you like the idea of trying to chase the outline of the structure first without digging much to get a feel of the size/shape of the site?

Also, the stove piece seems to be a vent cover to allow more/less air in and has an "08" cast into it. Could be the year?

When did people stop using square nails ?

thanks,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread