May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW......... Dad & I spent 4 lovely hours in the sun on the same field as yesterday.
This was our last shot on here before the crop would start to show, so it was a 1 hit weekend!
The hotspot we found yesterday had been gridded out, so on a hunch we skipped loads of runs & started higher up the slope.
I was happy enough with Dad's 1921 Florin which hardly ever show up, but what was to follow was amazing....

3 Jettons
1 Scrappy
1 Poor hammered Penny
Victorian Royal Artillery Button
Tudor Button
Gilt Leather Mount
Tudor Strapend
Tudor Dagger Chape
Frag of Roman Bracelet
Medieval Coin Weight

I got a hammered silver Anglo-Saxon Penny which is one of the earliest of this type minted, they only strated a few years earlier. Its Baldred 823-25, Moneyer DUNUN of Rochester, which on my coin is spelt DUN:N, so it might be a new die type.:thumbsup: (I will update)
This coin is EXTREMELY RARE & coins of this King typically sell for more than $10,000.:headbang:

It by far the most expensive coin I have found. Here is a little history:

Wiki: Baldred was King of Kent, from 823 until 826 or 827. Ceolwulf I king of Mercia, had ruled Kent directly, but in 823 he was deposed by Beornwulf, and at about the same time moneyers at Canterbury started issuing coins in the name of Baldred, king of Kent. It is uncertain whether he was independent or a Mercian under-king. In 826 or 827 he was expelled by Aethelwulf, son of King Egbert of Wessex, and Kent was ruled directly by Wessex thereafter.

UPDATE:
[FONT=&quot]Congratulations on this interesting find, which I have recorded as [/FONT]BLANK[FONT=&quot].

This is one of only three known specimens of this type for the Rochester moneyer Dunn (Naisimith R9.1). The three coins each have different readings of the moneyer's name - DVNVN, DVNN (V's inverted), and now, on your coin, DVNN.

The other two coins have an H after REX on the obverse. Is this the case with your coin also?
[/FONT]

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 706
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 726
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 673
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 639
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 691
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 741
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 690
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:
Upvote 57

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly a BANNER Find !!! ( Not that I would have had any clue were it not for your excitement and the facts you gave us )
Incredible hunt man - the Cru seems to be off to a stellar year so far !

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Simply WOW!That's it right there curled and sweet and forever a keeper.
You're so right on not to get it straightened, the coinage seems to be very brittle and it's amazing that it's curled and not just broken off like most that are in the proximity in age.
You have my vote as it would make anybody smile digging it out of the hole.:headbang:

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As always great finds! I enjoy reading your post. Glad to see you and your father making great finds.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked in the current Spinks, valued at ยฃ4750 in VF, but that's a guide, and like you say not many been found..so who knows. But I know you won't sell, so value of what it's worth is hard, as it's not for sale...great find and I expect to see it up top :thumbsup: SS

Because we can't afford to keep it, it may just need to be up for sale. However, I would prefer it in a Museum & get less for me & the owner than sell it to the highest bidder.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From where I'm standing...just about all your finds are rare; but when you say its rare it has to be outstanding, well done on a great find!

Your not wrong. I chose my words wisely when it come to coins.:thumbsup:

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another killer day in the field Cru , congrats on the awesome coins and artifacts ..cheers Mick

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bloody h-ll Mate, another BANNER find!!!!
Congrats to you Cru. :occasion14:

Cheers,
Doug

Joe1944

Jul 3, 2013
Rockland County, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time I've ever nominated something for banner. Well worth it. Nice going!

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because we can't afford to keep it, it may just need to be up for sale. However, I would prefer it in a Museum & get less for me & the owner than sell it to the highest bidder.

Very commendable, Im sure there are many that would like to see it, just like all of use here, thanks for sharing.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You only beat my oldest coin by 951 years! I can only dream of making finds like yours. Congratulations and "Good Providence" on your next hunt.

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly amazing rarity. BANNER vote in.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your votes everyone. I knew it was Banner worthy but it doesn't always go the way I feel, so I never worry/get my hopes up. This coin, I believe, has the same odds as a big lottery win, so for me, it's a once in a lifetime find. I know I'm lucky & have had a few now, but it proves that if you do the time & like IP states dig a few million holes, the winning ticket will show!!!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a very well deserved Banner coin, A find we UK detectorists dream of finding every time we dig dirt, but few ever do...:thumbsup:

SS

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this your first "banner" find of the year? You're slipping! :laughing7: :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread