May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW......... Dad & I spent 4 lovely hours in the sun on the same field as yesterday.
This was our last shot on here before the crop would start to show, so it was a 1 hit weekend!
The hotspot we found yesterday had been gridded out, so on a hunch we skipped loads of runs & started higher up the slope.
I was happy enough with Dad's 1921 Florin which hardly ever show up, but what was to follow was amazing....

3 Jettons
1 Scrappy
1 Poor hammered Penny
Victorian Royal Artillery Button
Tudor Button
Gilt Leather Mount
Tudor Strapend
Tudor Dagger Chape
Frag of Roman Bracelet
Medieval Coin Weight

I got a hammered silver Anglo-Saxon Penny which is one of the earliest of this type minted, they only strated a few years earlier. Its Baldred 823-25, Moneyer DUNUN of Rochester, which on my coin is spelt DUN:N, so it might be a new die type.:thumbsup: (I will update)
This coin is EXTREMELY RARE & coins of this King typically sell for more than $10,000.:headbang:

It by far the most expensive coin I have found. Here is a little history:

Wiki: Baldred was King of Kent, from 823 until 826 or 827. Ceolwulf I king of Mercia, had ruled Kent directly, but in 823 he was deposed by Beornwulf, and at about the same time moneyers at Canterbury started issuing coins in the name of Baldred, king of Kent. It is uncertain whether he was independent or a Mercian under-king. In 826 or 827 he was expelled by Aethelwulf, son of King Egbert of Wessex, and Kent was ruled directly by Wessex thereafter.

UPDATE:
[FONT=&quot]Congratulations on this interesting find, which I have recorded as [/FONT]BLANK[FONT=&quot].

This is one of only three known specimens of this type for the Rochester moneyer Dunn (Naisimith R9.1). The three coins each have different readings of the moneyer's name - DVNVN, DVNN (V's inverted), and now, on your coin, DVNN.

The other two coins have an H after REX on the obverse. Is this the case with your coin also?
[/FONT]

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 707
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 727
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 674
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 640
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 692
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 702
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 691
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:
Upvote 57
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you do youtube videos of your finds I think you would do really well on there as you always find cool things I get paid for adds on my YouTube videos And with the amount of people that would follow you I think u would earn a nice bit of extra cash

Not interested in any money, & to get me on camera is never going to happen. I'm photophobic.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, wow CRU what a find! :thumbsup: Congratulations on finding it and for making a well deserved BANNER!
:)
Breezie

deodra

Mar 13, 2014
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
They were stolen
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We practically have to go to a museum to see something that old here in America.

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not interested in any money, & to get me on camera is never going to happen. I'm photophobic.

True! Point a camera , shoot, nothing comes out! Invisible! Looking forward to update on the coin? :notworthy:

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great set of finds! You always seem to have a good time and the finds come to those who work at it.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Cru! I don't know much about English hammered silver, but if you say it's the most valuable coin you ever found, that's saying something! Congrats on the banner.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find i had to shake my head and look back again. Good job! Thanks for sharing and congrats on another banner.

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok there's gotta be a limit now. Crusader is getting too many of the nice finds. Limit him to one banner per month. All in favor?

acepro

Mar 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds! penny is actually in quite good condition! I agree not to bend it back, to riskey... great to see the medievals. dont find those here in canada!
happy hunting!

szasza85

Dec 18, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Coiltek platipus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice silver coins

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a hell of a hunt right there!

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when he`s not detecting, i bet he just counts his silver coins he finds, lol.

joesdigs

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unreal hammered..... :)

seychik

Nov 3, 2011
Denver Metro, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic Find! Thanks for posting it so we could all see it, enjoy it and learn more about history (so it's already like it's in a museum). I'm sure it's a great feeling to have found such a rare coin; I am so happy for you! Congrats!!
Cindy

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I haven't been on here for a couple of years...mainly due to surgery/etc. But, WOW!!! I would give a toe or something close to be able to hunt with you and your dad...lol NICE!!! Gotta love a Recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread