May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW......... Dad & I spent 4 lovely hours in the sun on the same field as yesterday.
This was our last shot on here before the crop would start to show, so it was a 1 hit weekend!
The hotspot we found yesterday had been gridded out, so on a hunch we skipped loads of runs & started higher up the slope.
I was happy enough with Dad's 1921 Florin which hardly ever show up, but what was to follow was amazing....

3 Jettons
1 Scrappy
1 Poor hammered Penny
Victorian Royal Artillery Button
Tudor Button
Gilt Leather Mount
Tudor Strapend
Tudor Dagger Chape
Frag of Roman Bracelet
Medieval Coin Weight

I got a hammered silver Anglo-Saxon Penny which is one of the earliest of this type minted, they only strated a few years earlier. Its Baldred 823-25, Moneyer DUNUN of Rochester, which on my coin is spelt DUN:N, so it might be a new die type.:thumbsup: (I will update)
This coin is EXTREMELY RARE & coins of this King typically sell for more than $10,000.:headbang:

It by far the most expensive coin I have found. Here is a little history:

Wiki: Baldred was King of Kent, from 823 until 826 or 827. Ceolwulf I king of Mercia, had ruled Kent directly, but in 823 he was deposed by Beornwulf, and at about the same time moneyers at Canterbury started issuing coins in the name of Baldred, king of Kent. It is uncertain whether he was independent or a Mercian under-king. In 826 or 827 he was expelled by Aethelwulf, son of King Egbert of Wessex, and Kent was ruled directly by Wessex thereafter.

UPDATE:
[FONT=&quot]Congratulations on this interesting find, which I have recorded as [/FONT]BLANK[FONT=&quot].

This is one of only three known specimens of this type for the Rochester moneyer Dunn (Naisimith R9.1). The three coins each have different readings of the moneyer's name - DVNVN, DVNN (V's inverted), and now, on your coin, DVNN.

The other two coins have an H after REX on the obverse. Is this the case with your coin also?
[/FONT]

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 707
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 727
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 674
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 640
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 692
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 742
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 691
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 702
Last edited:
Upvote 57

Kaleb71386

Dec 31, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350. Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice score you have there thanks for sharing

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy crap that's an amazing coin.
I could only imagine what that coin has been through...

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been quite busy for a few days and I first saw this as the thumbnail picture on the banner. My immediate thought before opening it up was "Crusader must have struck once again!"

You sir have some incredible, outstanding, and amazing finds! :headbang: Thank you for sharing them on here for all of us to see - what an education the vast majority of us here on this side of the pond get from your posts. :notworthy:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:

'Congratulations on this interesting find, which I have recorded as ''BLANK''.
This is one of only three known specimens of this type for the Rochester moneyer Dunn (Naisimith R9.1).
The three coins each have different readings of the moneyer's name - DVNVN, DVNN (V's inverted), and now, on your coin, DVNN.

The other two coins have an H after REX on the obverse.
Is this the case with your coin also?

I replied that mine doesn't have the 'H' after the Rex!!!

Looks like it stands on it's own.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: 'Congratulations on this interesting find, which I have recorded as ''BLANK''. This is one of only three known specimens of this type for the Rochester moneyer Dunn (Naisimith R9.1). The three coins each have different readings of the moneyer's name - DVNVN, DVNN (V's inverted), and now, on your coin, DVNN. The other two coins have an H after REX on the obverse. Is this the case with your coin also? I replied that mine doesn't have the 'H' after the Rex!!! Looks like it stands on it's own.:thumbsup:
You know what no H after Rex means? PREMIUM. :occasion14: But I think I would still have to keep it... looking at it from the point of view if I had found what you have.... because I couldn't justify selling one of my best while keeping so much that is way more common, but could add up to the same money. That's just how my mind works on something like that. Then again, I know it's much easier to judge when you didn't make the find... like all the people who say they would never sell anything for any amount of money. Yeah right.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: 'Congratulations on this interesting find, which I have recorded as ''BLANK''. This is one of only three known specimens of this type for the Rochester moneyer Dunn (Naisimith R9.1). The three coins each have different readings of the moneyer's name - DVNVN, DVNN (V's inverted), and now, on your coin, DVNN. The other two coins have an H after REX on the obverse. Is this the case with your coin also? I replied that mine doesn't have the 'H' after the Rex!!! Looks like it stands on it's own.:thumbsup:
Only known of that type then..IE no H...almost as good as unique, the price just went up big time...I think you have a dilemma on your hands...good luck, you deserve it with the hard time you have put in to find it. :thumbsup:

SS

carolinas

Apr 5, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic. Always wanted a Saxon penny... Beautiful.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know what no H after Rex means? PREMIUM. :occasion14: But I think I would still have to keep it... looking at it from the point of view if I had found what you have.... because I couldn't justify selling one of my best while keeping so much that is way more common, but could add up to the same money. That's just how my mind works on something like that. Then again, I know it's much easier to judge when you didn't make the find... like all the people who say they would never sell anything for any amount of money. Yeah right.

There are lots of things I would never sell (mainly because of emotional attachment), but being a collector, I would rather have a lot of common stuff than 1 rare one.(Although ideally I would like everything) Because of the simple reason, it's too expensive to give the farmer half the money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FURTHER UPDATE:

Before seeing the farmer last week we gathered the facts together so we could make a joint decision.

Before straightening about £1000
After Straightening, cleaning & toning - Auction estimate £3000-6000 (although I did state these normally make over $10,000 in complete/flat condition)

This was before the good news on rarity but also after a small chip broke off the edge in the packet! (meaning straightening became more risky, the coin would then make about £600 broken)

We decided that if a Museum was willing to pay £1000 (£500 each) to keep it in this Country, then it would be the best thing for this historic & well provenanced piece.

Dad is taking it to the Museum, this Weds.....

Last edited:

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great bunch of finds and thanx for the clear photos of all of them,hope you find a few "yellow ones" this year too.....

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Couldn't have been found by a harder working detectorist Cru! :occasion14:
Congratulations go to your Dad on his 1921 silver Florin recovery as well!

Love the look of the pattern on this 'Dandy Button' too, :thumbsup:
Dave

Attachments

• Dandy Button.JPG
    Dandy Button.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Congrats on a fantastic find! It's now a certainty that I will never match your banner total...but my last banner was a good one. :)

That is some big money for that coin, and it's in fantastic condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread