May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW......... Dad & I spent 4 lovely hours in the sun on the same field as yesterday.
This was our last shot on here before the crop would start to show, so it was a 1 hit weekend!
The hotspot we found yesterday had been gridded out, so on a hunch we skipped loads of runs & started higher up the slope.
I was happy enough with Dad's 1921 Florin which hardly ever show up, but what was to follow was amazing....

3 Jettons
1 Scrappy
1 Poor hammered Penny
Victorian Royal Artillery Button
Tudor Button
Gilt Leather Mount
Tudor Strapend
Tudor Dagger Chape
Frag of Roman Bracelet
Medieval Coin Weight

I got a hammered silver Anglo-Saxon Penny which is one of the earliest of this type minted, they only strated a few years earlier. Its Baldred 823-25, Moneyer DUNUN of Rochester, which on my coin is spelt DUN:N, so it might be a new die type.:thumbsup: (I will update)
This coin is EXTREMELY RARE & coins of this King typically sell for more than $10,000.:headbang:

It by far the most expensive coin I have found. Here is a little history:

Wiki: Baldred was King of Kent, from 823 until 826 or 827. Ceolwulf I king of Mercia, had ruled Kent directly, but in 823 he was deposed by Beornwulf, and at about the same time moneyers at Canterbury started issuing coins in the name of Baldred, king of Kent. It is uncertain whether he was independent or a Mercian under-king. In 826 or 827 he was expelled by Aethelwulf, son of King Egbert of Wessex, and Kent was ruled directly by Wessex thereafter.

UPDATE:
[FONT=&quot]Congratulations on this interesting find, which I have recorded as [/FONT]BLANK[FONT=&quot].

This is one of only three known specimens of this type for the Rochester moneyer Dunn (Naisimith R9.1). The three coins each have different readings of the moneyer's name - DVNVN, DVNN (V's inverted), and now, on your coin, DVNN.

The other two coins have an H after REX on the obverse. Is this the case with your coin also?
[/FONT]

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 705
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 726
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 673
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 639
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 691
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 741
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 690
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:
Upvote 57

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome man , I enjoy your post you always have some really cool finds !

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Well isn't that a nice little piece of history! Without a doubt, that belongs on the Banner!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is a helluva find man. Congratulations! So is this something you plan on getting straightened/flattened or will you leave it alone? As a general habit I like to flatten bent coins by sandwiching them between wood boards and then whacking with a hammer, but I dunno how these ancient thin silvers would hold up. Anyway, aside from the deformation it is in magnificent condition. I was browsing here: Details for Baldred of Kent AD 823 - AD 825 - A guide to the coins of the Early Medieval period and it seems that your find would be #20 attributed to Baldred if reported. Also, most of the pictured examples there have a simple cross as the central feature on both sides (and missing portions), whereas yours is decidedly more interesting and attractive.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always like looking at your posts. I dig something from the late 1700's to early 1800's and I'm about as far back as I can go with "historic" finds in my area. You dig goodies from so much farther back, it's almost hard for me to imagine. That penny is what metal detectorist's dreams are made of! Congratulations. Banner vote here.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is a helluva find man. Congratulations! So is this something you plan on getting straightened/flattened or will you leave it alone? As a general habit I like to flatten bent coins by sandwiching them between wood boards and then whacking with a hammer, but I dunno how these ancient thin silvers would hold up. Anyway, aside from the deformation it is in magnificent condition. I was browsing here: Details for Baldred of Kent AD 823 - AD 825 - A guide to the coins of the Early Medieval period and it seems that your find would be #20 attributed to Baldred if reported. Also, most of the pictured examples there have a simple cross as the central feature on both sides (and missing portions), whereas yours is decidedly more interesting and attractive.

It will be record very soon, I will update tomorrow. It is likely that this is one of only 5 or less of this moneyer.:thumbsup:

I will not try & straighten it, these are very brittle & it's a miracle that it's complete!

It's one of the rarist coins I have found, but easily the most expensive.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on that amazing and potentially lucrative find Cru! Its finds like this that motivate us to go digging every chance we get.

JamieD

Feb 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, amazing find. Nominated for banner.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woohoo! What a coin! Beautiful condition other than the bent rim. Banner potential here! :icon_thumleft: Big congrats!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What we all dream of finding, well done on a great find. The farmer two will be happy with his share of $10,000.

SS

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What we all dream of finding, well done on a great find. The farmer two will be happy with his share of $10,000. SS

Yeap, just like the last one that got his share of the gold ring, I think he now has a new shotgun.:headbang:

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You make me wanna go detecting !!!!

Sweet coin,,,10k is even sweeter..... I,d be thrilled with a couple of the other stuff you got there let alone the penny.

Big CONGRATS !!

OBVIOUSLY GOT MY BANNER VOTE !!!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, just like the last one that got his share of the gold ring, I think he now has a new shotgun.:headbang:
I looked in the current Spinks, valued at Β£4750 in VF, but that's a guide, and like you say not many been found..so who knows. But I know you won't sell, so value of what it's worth is hard, as it's not for sale...great find and I expect to see it up top :thumbsup:

SS

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, fantastic find for sure, without a doubt this belongs on the Banner. $10K for a penney, man now that's inflation for ya. Cangrats Cru, she's a beauty:icon_thumright:. ZDD

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dig 17 million holes a fella should get a keeper every now and again. :happysmiley:

:occasion14:

Money in the Crubank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread