3 Day Colonial Bonanza - Coins from multiple countries - Oysters - Friends

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a 3 days of relic hunting. This past weekend I planned to have a good friend of mine come down from the frozen tundra of Maryland and hunt for a few days at some of Virginia’s colonial sites. For 3 days we hunted and made some nice finds. On Friday Beau rolled into town and I quickly left the office to meet Bill D at one of our latest sites. We hunted for a few hours and the finds simply were not there. Surprisingly, this site did not produce – we had hunted it only once before and were pleased with what we had found. My best find from the site was a nice early sportsman button depicting a crouching rabbit. We quickly moved on to one of our latest “tried and true” colonial sites. This one had been hit hard, but we knew a few good finds were still hiding in there. With the daylight dwindling and each of us having a handful of colonial items, including buttons and buckle pieces, I struck first for the weekend with a nice cut pistareen. It felt good to get that find out of the way for the weekend.

On day two, we woke up bright and early to meet Bill D. and Joey at one of our more historic sites for a full day of hunting. We spent the first half of the day exploring some sites on the property that we hoped would produce – though after 5 hours we decided to head back to the previous productive locations. Right off the start Joey landed a nice capped bust half dime. Then Bill and Beau landed some colonial era Chinese dynasty coins – shortly afterwards I landed one of my own. I had previously dug a Jen Tsung coin (1796-1820) at this site in the same area. This time I dug a Ch’ien Lung (1736-1795) coin. I am uncertain which ones Bill and Beau recovered, but assume that they are about the same era. These are unique finds, especially from such a colonial rich site – interesting on how they arrived there. A little while longer I managed to dig a nice 1773 VA Half Penny and complete shoe buckle with iron workings attached. I managed to stumble into a small trash pit that yielded a few buttons and then finished the day surface hunting for the day locating a few more handfuls of colonial goodies (buttons, round balls, etc.) Beau dug a nice three cent piece and Bill another silver gem! We all ended the day with some keeper coins!

Beau and I finished off the night with an oyster bake out on the grill – great end to a fun day.

Days one and two pale in comparison to day three! On day three Beau, Bill and I set out to check some new property that we secured. On the way we noticed that a previously productive farm had recently been tilled and felt that we should at least check it and boy am I glad that we did. Initially we located a few finds here and there until I wandered to another one of the many house sites that we located at this site. I immediately recovered a button and thimble and called for Beau and Bill. As we spread out, each digging a handful of buttons and bill digging a nice coin (will let him share) I located another pit – this one would be well worth the work. As a disclaimer I must admit that I first dug the pit and filled it back in. We only had a few more hours left and I did not want to mess with a pit in such a short amount of time knowing that I could go back to this site anytime. My conscious got the better of me and boy I am glad I went back and dug it out. First just a button or two rolled out, then a nice 1787 Connecticut Copper!!! surfaced in the spoil pile – then I saw something truly unique. Bill was just but a few feet away when I called him over to look at what I thought was perhaps a silver coin that fell out of the sidewall.

I figured surely that it would just be a silvered button when to my astonishment it was a 1787 half reale. I had just eyeballed a half reale! Amazing! Well I was not done – a few minutes later, after a few more buttons and other odds and ends I eyeballed another coin – this time a beaut of a VA half penny rolled out of the sidewall. BUT I WAS NOT DONE!!! Can you believe it that only a short time later a crisp 1797 1 Reale rolled out of another sidewall! I had just recovered four colonial coins from one pit and I eyeballed three of them. With other relics coming out consistently, I finally forced Bill (who was reluctant to jump in) to help me with the pit. Would you believe it, but Bill eyeballed a beaut of a VA Half Penny as well! Five coins from one pit! Just towards the end of the day we began to get into more china and other additional finds when our time came to an end. We filled the pit in and will look VERY forward to getting back to finishing it out.

This pit was full of iron, and we did not sift anything yet. I fully expect to make some nice finds from our back fill and plenty more from the expansion of the pit. While we were working on this, Beau got into a pit as well that produced a broken bottle and a handful of colonial goodies. My take for the three days of colonial hunting were 47 buttons, 7 colonial coins (including 3 silvers), plenty of shot and buckle pieces, two complete shoe buckles with iron workings, and a pile of china to put back together. It was fun and as always, I enjoy spending time with my two pals Beau and Bill. It was great to meet Joey on Saturday and I look VERY forward to a return visit to what I will from now on call the Coin Pit!

HH
Dan

Attachments

• SC1.jpg
    SC1.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 173
  • SC2.jpg
    SC2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 186
  • SC3.jpg
    SC3.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 157
  • SC4.jpg
    SC4.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 147
  • SC5.jpg
    SC5.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 188
  • SC10.jpg
    SC10.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 189
  • SC9.jpg
    SC9.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 153
  • SC8.jpg
    SC8.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 165
  • SC7.jpg
    SC7.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 162
  • SC6.jpg
    SC6.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 196
  • SC15.jpg
    SC15.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 183
  • SC14.jpg
    SC14.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 155
  • SC13.jpg
    SC13.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 173
  • SC12.jpg
    SC12.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 213
  • SC11.jpg
    SC11.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 208
  • SC16.jpg
    SC16.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 183
  • SC17.jpg
    SC17.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 162
  • SC18.jpg
    SC18.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 156
  • SC19.jpg
    SC19.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 150
  • SC20.jpg
    SC20.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 148
  • SC25.jpg
    SC25.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 166
  • SC24.jpg
    SC24.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 148
  • SC23.jpg
    SC23.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 145
  • SC22.jpg
    SC22.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 142
  • SC21.jpg
    SC21.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 149
  • SC26.jpg
    SC26.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Upvote 22
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great post to read. This one should be taught in the classroom for the University of Relics! Thanks for the awesome pics too. Looks like you treated your friend to a trip to be remembered.:coffee2:

Thanks - believe it or not - he did better last year. The little sneak dug three cut spanish silvers, a gold dollar, and a gold colonial cufflink. He still did good this time. We have dug together for a number of years and always do a good job of putting one another on relic rich sites.

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That must be so much fun digging all them good targets...keep things interesting ad fun.

If I go 2 hours and am finding nothing I seem to get really tired really fast....but find good stuff and you never get tired....

Awesome hunt guys.....!!!

Love them coins !!!!

Great story...keep up the good work !!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Great hunt! You guys have some great sites and you know how to search 'em. That is one of the nicest condition CT coppers I've seen posted. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you guys find.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got some nice condition on all three coppers, that right there would be quite rare, let alone the finds themselves.

Just "thinking" out loud here OK, the "shoe buckle" seems unusual having the pivot pin running the length, rather than the width of the buckle ?

As a regular pit digger, and this one was "rich" in coins, what would you say is more typical to find...one or two ?

Also like Steve in PA I like that BIG dandy, and the smaller shoe buckle

I'm really hoping the ground thaws out here sometime soon. Thinking warm thoughts.:laughing7:

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got some nice condition on all three coppers, that right there would be quite rare, let alone the finds themselves. Just "thinking" out loud here OK, the "shoe buckle" seems unusual having the pivot pin running the length, rather than the width of the buckle ? As a regular pit digger, and this one was "rich" in coins, what would you say is more typical to find...one or two ? Also like Steve in PA I like that BIG dandy, and the smaller shoe buckle I'm really hoping the ground thaws out here sometime soon. Thinking warm thoughts.:laughing7:

Both buckles are interesting as they are odd in size. The more ornate one came from a shallow pit at a different site along with one of the VA Half Pennies. The less ornate one came from the pit with the CT Copper, Two reales, and other VA Half. Personally I have only found a coin or two in pits like these over the years - so for me this is a rare occurrence.

I hope your ground thaws as well - look forward to your posts.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dan for the info on the pits...I guess that is in line with what I was thinking. (as an average)

And again about the buckles, the smaller one is most interesting in design, but the larger one is, well diferent, being that it is hinged through it's long dimension. It is obviously curved from the picture, but still breakes the "rule" so is very imteresting at least.

Thanks for you'r wishing my ground thaw...I'lll need them.

Good luck out there.
Rick

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks For Taking The Time To Write All That And Upload All Those Pics! Nice Finds!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Dan I'm blown away at the condition of those coppers! And colonial silver as well, and all of those relics! That is one incredible pile of keepers. You guys are really killing it this year man. Big Congrats

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great day you had! In addition to that Spanish silver you came up with a really nice, earlier die state Horned Bust Connecticut. The Horned Bust is quite common for a CT, but many CT collectors will collect this variety by die state. If you look to the left of the neck you will find a small raised area. This is a die break that is the beginning of the horn on the Horned Bust. This die break gets successively larger over time. To see some good examples go to http://www.stacksbowers.com/archivesearchresults.aspx?keywords=miller 4-L Click on #8 and you will see one close to yours. You found a very nice example of the variety. Great find!
PS: I've been collecting Connecticuts for about 30 years.

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! That is so killer cool. Congrats, wish I could have been there for the money pit and for one of my favorite things, oysters. My avatar is my grandfathers oyster schooner that was locally restored and made into a "sailing classroom" part of a historic Bayshore Center At Bivalve, I love oysters.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post and finds. What kind of camera are you using because your photos are beautiful.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post and finds. What kind of camera are you using because your photos are beautiful.

Thanks man - For in the field, I have an old FUIJI Digital (forget the model, but it is old and I don't mind getting it dirty). For at home, I have a Nikon DR3200 with a 50MM lens - takes great pictures.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great day you had! In addition to that Spanish silver you came up with a really nice, earlier die state Horned Bust Connecticut. The Horned Bust is quite common for a CT, but many CT collectors will collect this variety by die state. If you look to the left of the neck you will find a small raised area. This is a die break that is the beginning of the horn on the Horned Bust. This die break gets successively larger over time. To see some good examples go to http://www.stacksbowers.com/archivesearchresults.aspx?keywords=miller 4-L Click on #8 and you will see one close to yours. You found a very nice example of the variety. Great find! PS: I've been collecting Connecticuts for about 30 years.

Thanks for the info - this is only my second CT Copper (as we don't dig too many below the mason dixon line) and the prettiest one thus far. The other came from Eastern NC. I am excited for this find.

Dan

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! That is so killer cool. Congrats, wish I could have been there for the money pit and for one of my favorite things, oysters. My avatar is my grandfathers oyster schooner that was locally restored and made into a "sailing classroom" part of a historic Bayshore Center At Bivalve, I love oysters.

MMMM I love oysters ha ha... funny enough - Beau and I posed for a similar picture several years ago.

Oysters.jpg
Oh how times have changed!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Awesome finds! You guys found a gathering spot of some sort for sure!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Dan I'm blown away at the condition of those coppers! And colonial silver as well, and all of those relics! That is one incredible pile of keepers. You guys are really killing it this year man. Big Congrats
Thanks Ahab - we are trying to close the year out with a bang. The fields will be planted soon, then I will switch to the water for the summer.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sweet finds, you guys had a great day! Happy Hunting!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It doesn't get much better than digging great coinage out of a pit, congrats on the finds and hope that the next dig lives up to your pit dreams.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's my kind if vacation,relics,beers,and oysters! Congrats to all on the great finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread