3 Day Colonial Bonanza - Coins from multiple countries - Oysters - Friends

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a 3 days of relic hunting. This past weekend I planned to have a good friend of mine come down from the frozen tundra of Maryland and hunt for a few days at some of Virginia’s colonial sites. For 3 days we hunted and made some nice finds. On Friday Beau rolled into town and I quickly left the office to meet Bill D at one of our latest sites. We hunted for a few hours and the finds simply were not there. Surprisingly, this site did not produce – we had hunted it only once before and were pleased with what we had found. My best find from the site was a nice early sportsman button depicting a crouching rabbit. We quickly moved on to one of our latest “tried and true” colonial sites. This one had been hit hard, but we knew a few good finds were still hiding in there. With the daylight dwindling and each of us having a handful of colonial items, including buttons and buckle pieces, I struck first for the weekend with a nice cut pistareen. It felt good to get that find out of the way for the weekend.

On day two, we woke up bright and early to meet Bill D. and Joey at one of our more historic sites for a full day of hunting. We spent the first half of the day exploring some sites on the property that we hoped would produce – though after 5 hours we decided to head back to the previous productive locations. Right off the start Joey landed a nice capped bust half dime. Then Bill and Beau landed some colonial era Chinese dynasty coins – shortly afterwards I landed one of my own. I had previously dug a Jen Tsung coin (1796-1820) at this site in the same area. This time I dug a Ch’ien Lung (1736-1795) coin. I am uncertain which ones Bill and Beau recovered, but assume that they are about the same era. These are unique finds, especially from such a colonial rich site – interesting on how they arrived there. A little while longer I managed to dig a nice 1773 VA Half Penny and complete shoe buckle with iron workings attached. I managed to stumble into a small trash pit that yielded a few buttons and then finished the day surface hunting for the day locating a few more handfuls of colonial goodies (buttons, round balls, etc.) Beau dug a nice three cent piece and Bill another silver gem! We all ended the day with some keeper coins!

Beau and I finished off the night with an oyster bake out on the grill – great end to a fun day.

Days one and two pale in comparison to day three! On day three Beau, Bill and I set out to check some new property that we secured. On the way we noticed that a previously productive farm had recently been tilled and felt that we should at least check it and boy am I glad that we did. Initially we located a few finds here and there until I wandered to another one of the many house sites that we located at this site. I immediately recovered a button and thimble and called for Beau and Bill. As we spread out, each digging a handful of buttons and bill digging a nice coin (will let him share) I located another pit – this one would be well worth the work. As a disclaimer I must admit that I first dug the pit and filled it back in. We only had a few more hours left and I did not want to mess with a pit in such a short amount of time knowing that I could go back to this site anytime. My conscious got the better of me and boy I am glad I went back and dug it out. First just a button or two rolled out, then a nice 1787 Connecticut Copper!!! surfaced in the spoil pile – then I saw something truly unique. Bill was just but a few feet away when I called him over to look at what I thought was perhaps a silver coin that fell out of the sidewall.

I figured surely that it would just be a silvered button when to my astonishment it was a 1787 half reale. I had just eyeballed a half reale! Amazing! Well I was not done – a few minutes later, after a few more buttons and other odds and ends I eyeballed another coin – this time a beaut of a VA half penny rolled out of the sidewall. BUT I WAS NOT DONE!!! Can you believe it that only a short time later a crisp 1797 1 Reale rolled out of another sidewall! I had just recovered four colonial coins from one pit and I eyeballed three of them. With other relics coming out consistently, I finally forced Bill (who was reluctant to jump in) to help me with the pit. Would you believe it, but Bill eyeballed a beaut of a VA Half Penny as well! Five coins from one pit! Just towards the end of the day we began to get into more china and other additional finds when our time came to an end. We filled the pit in and will look VERY forward to getting back to finishing it out.

This pit was full of iron, and we did not sift anything yet. I fully expect to make some nice finds from our back fill and plenty more from the expansion of the pit. While we were working on this, Beau got into a pit as well that produced a broken bottle and a handful of colonial goodies. My take for the three days of colonial hunting were 47 buttons, 7 colonial coins (including 3 silvers), plenty of shot and buckle pieces, two complete shoe buckles with iron workings, and a pile of china to put back together. It was fun and as always, I enjoy spending time with my two pals Beau and Bill. It was great to meet Joey on Saturday and I look VERY forward to a return visit to what I will from now on call the Coin Pit!

HH
Dan

Attachments

• SC1.jpg
    SC1.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 172
  • SC2.jpg
    SC2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 185
  • SC3.jpg
    SC3.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 156
  • SC4.jpg
    SC4.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 146
  • SC5.jpg
    SC5.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 187
  • SC10.jpg
    SC10.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 188
  • SC9.jpg
    SC9.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 152
  • SC8.jpg
    SC8.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 164
  • SC7.jpg
    SC7.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 161
  • SC6.jpg
    SC6.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 195
  • SC15.jpg
    SC15.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 182
  • SC14.jpg
    SC14.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 154
  • SC13.jpg
    SC13.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 172
  • SC12.jpg
    SC12.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 212
  • SC11.jpg
    SC11.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 207
  • SC16.jpg
    SC16.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 182
  • SC17.jpg
    SC17.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 161
  • SC18.jpg
    SC18.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 155
  • SC19.jpg
    SC19.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 149
  • SC20.jpg
    SC20.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 147
  • SC25.jpg
    SC25.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 165
  • SC24.jpg
    SC24.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 147
  • SC23.jpg
    SC23.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 144
  • SC22.jpg
    SC22.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 141
  • SC21.jpg
    SC21.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 148
  • SC26.jpg
    SC26.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Upvote 22

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome post and pics Dan! You absolutely killed it, and really topped things off with the discovery of the "money pit". Hope we can finish that up this weekend. By the way, that one gorgeous copper is a 1787 Connecticut and not a farthing. Check your US coin book for details. Its in absolutely incredible condition and is, in my opinion, your best find from the 3 day hunt.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post! Love the read! You killed it

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great three day hunt with three great detectorists! Your Conn copper appears to be a Horned Bust variety, not a very late die state, so it took an extra minute or two checking, known as a Miller 4-L variety. Ground was sure kind to the coins and relics! 1787 Connecticut Copper - Miller 4-L

Don

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Wow awesome recoveries!

You guys sure have some full sites there, so many targets, sure keeps it interesting with such a wide array if finds too

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great three day hunt with three great detectorists! Your Conn copper appears to be a Horned Bust variety, not a very late die state, so it took an extra minute or two checking, known as a Miller 4-L variety. Ground was sure kind to the coins and relics! 1787 Connecticut Copper - Miller 4-L Don

Thanks Don - you know I am embarrassed - I honestly never looked at the coin that closely as I have been busy as can imagine this week. I knew it was a beaut of a George coin - did not realize it was a Conn. until you posted! DUH should have read the inscription. I thought it seemed a tad larger than the ones I typically dig.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Nice assortment of finds. Those copper coins look to be in good shape for coming out of a field. The fields i hunt here in il. most coppers are ate up by the fertilizers. Good finds, good friends and good food it doesn't get any better than that.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Great post Dan. You killed it in that pit. The coppers are in stunning condition, look as good as the low country stuff. Nice digs!
-Evan

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible! Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Dan. You killed it in that pit. The coppers are in stunning condition, look as good as the low country stuff. Nice digs! -Evan

Thanks man - looking forward to digging with you the next time you are in town.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great post Dan and congratulations on your recoveries. You guys a killing it!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, looks like you guys had a real blast and recovered some awesome relics and coins. We will be digging soon and you got me all revved up. Thanks
ZDD

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow that Connecticut copper is beautiful! Money pit is right! I didn't think Bill had it in him to disregard a pit like that. I think it's that coin competition you guys have going on that was driving him to surface hunt. Great job Dan and thanks a bunch for the invite!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing day Dan! Great looking bunch of colonial coins. Love the Connecticut copper. Also, the fancy dandy button is awesome!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow that Connecticut copper is beautiful! Money pit is right! I didn't think Bill had it in him to disregard a pit like that. I think it's that coin competition you guys have going on that was driving him to surface hunt. Great job Dan and thanks a bunch for the invite!

Well I think a part of it has been that I have opened a bunch of pits this year, of which all were virtually busts except for a few pieces, the other part was he had just dug a cut silver and this was one of our better silver sites. I have located two pits at this site and both have been great. There are more there.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a great post to read. This one should be taught in the classroom for the University of Relics! Thanks for the awesome pics too. Looks like you treated your friend to a trip to be remembered.:coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread