Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Went back to the site where I dug a 1594 Dutch coin weight about 3 weeks ago to give it another shot. If not for 3 flat buttons I would've been skunked. One of them was bent in half, but when I washed the dirt off I could see some markings. Didn't take long before I realized I was holding a c1580s German jetton. I let it soak in hot water and was able to straighten it out without breaking the fragile artifact, but it was still in rather poor condition. So a lousy day in the field turned out halfway decent after all.

ForumRunner_20140321_185515.png

ForumRunner_20140321_185531.png

Upvote 11

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Do you know how bad it sucks to know that you're out digging 16th century jettons while I'm at work?

You have to go back!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet! Do you know how bad it sucks to know that you're out digging 16th century jettons while I'm at work?

You have to go back!

There are so few targets at this site that it may not be worth the effort to go back.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are so few targets at this site that it may not be worth the effort to go back.

I'd go back, even if it means I only dig one 16th century target every trip, lol. You make me want to look though all of my buttons.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, Bill! Man that is old for here in the states!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Bill! I just had to check with one of my buddies but sure enough he dug the exact same coin here in Maine two years ago. Anything in the states from the 16th century is pretty amazing. We have no clue how his got where it did. As far as we can tell his is the second oldest coin found in Maine. Nice find bud!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool Bill! I just had to check with one of my buddies but sure enough he dug the exact same coin here in Maine two years ago. Anything in the states from the 16th century is pretty amazing. We have no clue how his got where it did. As far as we can tell his is the second oldest coin found in Maine. Nice find bud!

Abe - technically a jetton is not a coin, but is considered a "counter", and they're usually only found at the earliest sites. I dug another one a few years ago at the site where I found all the hammered silver. I think 8 or 9 of those coins were 16th century with the earliest being 1563.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe - technically a jetton is not a coin, but is considered "counter", and they're usually only found at the earliest sites. I found another one a few years ago at the site where I found all the hammered silver. I think 8 or 9 of those coins were 16th century with the earliest being 1563.
Bill thank you for that info, I had no idea. That's an incredible amount of 16th century stuff. My buddy was so excited when he found his and was thinking it was going to be quite valuable. Not so much but it's still very cool to find something that old

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE - WTG - :icon_thumright:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DOES IT MATCH ANY OF THESE?
jettons

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a Hans Krauwincel.

The Germans put us out of business with boat loads of these. They were thinner & cheaper & we couldn't compete.

They are fairly common here, so not surprised they made it over there in the early period. We like them because its a base indicator for a hammered nearby.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a Hans Krauwincel.

The Germans put us out of business with boat loads of these. They were thinner & cheaper & we couldn't compete.

They are fairly common here, so not surprised they made it over there in the early period. We like them because its a base indicator for a hammered nearby.

Thanks for the confirmation Cru. And my search for a hammered at this site continues ......

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guys are amazing! Simply the best in Virginia on the colonial relics and beyond lol. That is an awesome find for North America, well done Bill! I agree with Joey, I need to check all my thin toasty (what I thought) flat buttons again. Thanks for sharing and all the great reference material on this post. HH!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Bill.

Love to find something that old. !!

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! And I am hoping to find something from the 1800's !

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys are amazing! Simply the best in Virginia on the colonial relics and beyond lol. That is an awesome find for North America, well done Bill! I agree with Joey, I need to check all my thin toasty (what I thought) flat buttons again. Thanks for sharing and all the great reference material on this post. HH!

Thanks Wes. The dirt that was lodged inside the fold gave it enough weight to fool me into believing this was just another flat button. These jettons are paper thin and if it hadn't been folded I would likely have had suspicions right away. Especially since this is a c1620 site and I had already found a 1594 coin weight here.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting. I haven't seen too many jettons dug stateside. You weren't kidding when you said it was an early site. Nice find! I'm hoping to break into the 1500's this year. If targets are sparse enough at that site, maybe try a PI machine to reach down a little deeper?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread