SurfingDigger

Mar 18, 2014
Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20140328_080837.jpg IMG_20140328_080933.jpg

I love that fact that my first token is a good luck token. i believe this one to be from the 50's.....its got the names of the two lovers on it .... flo and george....(most of the george is missing)

Upvote 3

s.tan

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I wonder , though , if the inscription is referring to Hopkins, Florida? HH

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an interesting token.

OP
OP
SurfingDigger

SurfingDigger

Mar 18, 2014
Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thought about that hopkins florida. it could be george at hopkins florida????? just no letters past flo.....and why didn't he jut put FL. i thought it was george and flo hopkins....just wasn't sure what the at was for.

OP
OP
SurfingDigger

SurfingDigger

Mar 18, 2014
Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHECK THIS OUT!!! nice work s.tan...you called it

Town of Hopkins, Florida[edit]
The former town of Hopkins was developed by George W. Hopkins after he formed the Union Cypress Company on the south side of Crane Creek in present-day Melbourne, Florida. This is where Hopkins constructed cypress and pine sawmills in the years between 1910 and 1915. Hopkins also purchased nearly 100,000 acres (400 km2) in southwestern Brevard County and Osceola County. Hopkins constructed the Union Cypress Railroad to transport timber from Deer Park in Osceola county to his mills south of Melbourne. The Hopkins operation became the company town of Hopkins, employing up to 500 men at its peak, complete with a company store, hospital, post office and FEC railroad depot.[1]
Hopkins Lumber Products[edit]

Hopkins became the most successful businessman in Brevard County in the early 1900s. He worked with his son-in-law, William H. Kempfer, to promote the settlement of Deer Park. His products were shipped throughout the state on the Florida East Coast Railroad. Many of the original bridges, including the first to span the Indian River at Cocoa, were built with Union Cypress products.[2] The Hopkins cypress mill burned to the ground in 1920, but was rebuilt. The mill continued to operate after George Hopkins died in 1925, supplying lumber and building products for the building boom of the twenties. The Hopkins sawmills finally closed after the Deer Park site had been stripped of its most valuable timber. The Kempfer Sawmill continues to operate near Deer Park, providing cypress and mulch for Brevard and Osceola Counties.[3]

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Now that's the way to make a first token find! Awesome history details! Congrats!
Mount that in a frame!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
SurfingDigger

SurfingDigger

Mar 18, 2014
Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool machine. thanks for posting it. its really nice to be able to add a story and some history to a find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread