buzz for silver. but got a...

dtsnmike240z

Mar 7, 2007
missouri for now
Detector(s) used
ace 250
pulltab. how come my ace is jumping around. i dont have the sens maxed out and my batteries are new.
the id jumps around so much no matter what i find if i find a penny it jumps between coin and a dime. so do pull tabs. except they even registerd silver dollar a couple times.
if i hit the pinpoint button and release it, it seems to be more on target. only jumps between two id slots. is there something wrong? it does beep on the swing one way and not the other. ive herd that that is usualy a sign of a pull tab. but than i hear people say to digg everything.
are aces set up to beep more consistantly with lagitamate items? or is something wrong. i am hanging out with another ace user this weekend i hope. so maybe we can figure it out.
night, and thanks for reading.

Upvote 0

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Could be some interference from electrical wires underground or power lines .
You might try and turn the Sens down just a bit to see if it works better.

OP
OP
dtsnmike240z

dtsnmike240z

Mar 7, 2007
missouri for now
Detector(s) used
ace 250
i was in the middle of a large open field. could have been my cell phone. it rang once and the md jumped all over. may be it is messing with the signal on the md.

birdy1976

Mar 3, 2007
Russell Springs,KY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 PRO
??? Hey there, I just recently got me an Ace 250 also. Mine seems to be doing some of what your talking about sometimes too. I just assumed that it was boatloads of pull-tabs and other junk in ground. I am curious I have been using mine in the all metal mode wondered if you were to. And on another note I read another post you made about when you'd find something good. WELL I can tell you to listen to these smart and polite pro's on here on T'Net. They told me right just keep swinging. It will happen. I went from depressed with pull-tabs and old beer cans to Excited with a 113 year old pocket watch within two days and about 100 yards of each other. Just keep swingin' it will come around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good-Luck!! birdy1976.

Attachments

• Bird\'s Pics!!! 098.jpg
    Bird\'s Pics!!! 098.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 456
  • Bird\'s Pics!!! 098.jpg
    Bird\'s Pics!!! 098.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 452

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Mine sounds similar...

but to be honest, just not enough time to have the "feel" of it yet. I use it for clad hunting only and the Minelabs for silver, give it more time, air test it, the palnt a few coins in sand or wood chips, run the coil and see what your detector does. Plant a few tabs and see where it registers. Hope this helps!

fd3615

Jan 25, 2007
California - Solano County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 Probe
my suggestion with any new machine...

dig everything till you get an idea of what the machine is telling you.. then you can make a more informed decision...

you say you want to find something valuable.. then dig it all... passing by something that reads pull tab or nickle.. is often something you should have dug..

keep it up dont get discouraged..

OP
OP
dtsnmike240z

dtsnmike240z

Mar 7, 2007
missouri for now
Detector(s) used
ace 250
let me clarify. it registers all over my display. i could never decifer what i am about to digg. it reads tabs to silver for any target. lets say im over a penny. each pass will register a new selection on the screen. one pass its a penny next pass a siver dollar. next iron. isnt it supposed to be in a range of within one or two notches. i would pass up tabs if they didnt say silver dollar on one of the passes.

and no my sensativity is not to hi. nor to low i tested in all ranges. same result

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
I guess there is a possibilty that the machine is just not performing correctly and is actually malfunctioning. If mine hits a penny it reads penny. Dime is dime or silver etc. I'd say you should maybe find a local that works on them and have it checked out or send it back to Garret and see what gives. Might make for a much more enjoyable hunt!
Best o' luck!
~Nash~

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
Mine does that too. I have read somewhere on these boards that when it jumps all around it can be trash. I do not think it is a malfunction - probably just some metal in the ground that is made of several components.

As long as I can pinpoint it, I usually dig it. AND it usually turns out to be trash, but that is just my experience.

I mostly dig at elementary schools in wood chips and I get the mixed signals - and there are no wires or other things. As you work with the ACE you will learn it better and better. I FINALLY figured out the nickel signal - but that took me awhile.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you pulled the coil cover off and cleaned any sand or grit out that was trapped there? Don't have any metal holding the coil or cable to the shaft? Checked the connections and cycled them to make sure contact is good?

I've often wondered how a "display" detector knows a quarter is a quarter whether it is upright or flat or a ringtab is a ringtab wether it's open or folded up. Don't they present different conductivity levels? Guess I'll have to check with a coin and an ohmeter edge-to-edge vs. through the center. Mine has no visual readout so I go by the tone and "shape" of the sound.

Wonder if there is too much/many minerals in your particular soil that it's outside the parameters of the pre-set ground balance?

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed with my Ace 250 that the newer zinc pennies will make my detector signal jump all over the place sometimes. I suspect that since they corrode so fast is what makes the odd signal???. The older, copper pennies don't seem to do that on mine. The closer to the top of the ground they are the worse it is too. I usually hunt in jewelry mode with max sensitivity until I start getting erratic signals and then I back the sensitivity down a notch or two. I hunted a grassy area just above a sandy beach at a local fresh water lake yesterday. There was so many pull tabs I put it in coin mode and turned down the sensitivity all the way just to see what it would pick up. It still picked up some pull tabs but found other things ok. It was just an experiment. I was pretty frustrated with my Ace 250 at first but I have learned a lot about it since Christmas. I've heard a few say it's a nice beginner detector but I found an Indian head penny at 8 inches and it picked it up fine. It gets confused by aluminum cans buried deep. It says a dime at about 2 to 4 inches deep sometimes. All in all I really like my Ace and I don't want anything else since I got used to it. I have used my old Garrett Deep Seeker a few times while my wife used the Ace and the only disadvantage of using the Ace is I know how deep something is and if it's 8+ inches deep sometimes I will pass it up if it says dollar, lol...I'm going to miss a good one like that!. One more thing, have you tried running the cord straight up the shaft about a foot and taping it there? It might reduce the jumping around signals. Good luck with your Ace.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread