Burnt Cabins PA and Forest Hunt!

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started off my day at my Co workers mom's house in Burnt Cabins PA. Loaded with history. Here are a few photos of my finds. I did find an old foundation, no coins but did find decorative something from it. I had to park my Charger because even though it is AWD and a Hemi, I got to the point of no return on the narrowing trails. Here are a few pics of what I found today before my Camera Died.

CAM_0166.JPG CAM_0167.JPG

CAM_0168.JPG CAM_0169.JPG

CAM_0170.JPG CAM_0171.JPG

CAM_0172.JPG CAM_0173.JPG

CAM_0174.JPG CAM_0175.JPG

CAM_0181.JPG CAM_0182.JPG

CAM_0183.JPG CAM_0184.JPG

CAM_0185.JPG CAM_0186.JPG

Upvote 10

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a smashed penny with the Lord's Prayer on it. Can you see any of the coin on the back?

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my mum still carries one in her purse from when she was a kid. She is in her late sixties now.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The iron thing reminds me of decorative tops on iron gates, guessing tho.
I see you got the top part of a lamp, part that holds the wick.
And some very large bullets!
Congrats on your relic finds hope the coins start showing up!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Lords prayer/smashed penny very similar to yours that my son found with me last spring. I'm not entirely convinced it is a smashed penny. He found it a day after a very bad car accident he was in and walked away from just banged up. By far my favorite token/badge that we have found so far.

Looks like you had a fun hunt and need to hit that place allot more. I would think you could spend many days hunting there, has the look of a great spot, great finds, nice pix. I could post a pic or two of my token if you wanted?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have some great looking old architecture here in Pa, don't we, Beeps? I really like the pic of the old house. Congrats on getting out and being brave enough to take the chance of getting that nice muscle car stuck, lol. Hope you can get back there. Looks promising. Thanks for great pics.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty sure that the bullet is military. LC on military ammunition boxes generally designates Lake City Arsenal.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
There are still smashed penny machines around that stamp the lord's prayer on them--I saw one in Arizona last year--lots on ebay all the time. If it's old enough, it could be an indian head penny. Then again you can put old coins in modern machines. I did a couple of steel cents not too long ago. You can usually, but not always, tell what the coin is by tilting it and looking really close.

not sure when they started doing the lords prayer on pressed coins, but they first started doing the coins in 1893.

Here's the one in Arizona: http://www.pennycollector.com/Details.aspx?location=355

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. That is a historic area. However I don't think those people who built their cabins in Indian Territory, then were kicked out and had their cabins burnt, were there long enough to lose much. Should be plenty of later 18th century artifacts in the area though.

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty Cool! I have traveled thorugh Burt Cabins alot. I always thought there would be some neat things in that area. Im in Hagerstown so its still like my backyard.

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Round thing with holes and slit: probably kerosene diffuser.

Oval metal thing with prayer: Probably made from a penny. Look closely and you might find the shadow of the original penny. I used to have one of these in the 1970s. That's the last time I saw them "in real life". I have several other "pressed pennies" from theme parks though like Disneyworld. There are whole websites dedicated to "pressed pennies".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread