Assorted goodies from 2 hunts including over 1/5 ounces of silver!

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This group of finds is all from a lot where a couple of houses was torn down recently. Those houses weren't all that old but, according to the Sanborne maps, there were two other houses on the lot going back into the 1800's. And at some point in between there was a school on the lot as well. Before this bunch of finds, I'd found two large silver men's rings, a nice barber dime and some other odds and ends. Last Sunday I hit the lot for a few hours and picked up the Indian, the Conductor's button cover (was covered in crud, still has some gilt on it but it's soaking in baby oil now in the hopes of loosening the last layer of crust), a great little token from the Cape Brewery Bar Good for 1 Beer, some early wheats and the big lipstick charm. My favorite find from that day is the Conductor piece It was completely covered and filled with very hard, solid crud/dirt. I really couldn't even tell there was anything on the top even after brushing it under water...until I cleaned out the inside and saw the reverse of the letters! The Cape Brewery token is a duplicate of one I found quite some time ago. Yesterday I had an hour to spare so I thought maybe there might be a goodie or two still hiding there. I dug some trash, a few pieces I've not cleaned up yet, and then I got an iffy signal that I thought for sure was going to be an asphalt roofing nail/fastener (most of you know the type....always sound real good. I've dug about 20 or so from that lot so far.). I dug the signal and deep in the hole was this chunk of dirt encrusted grayness....it was getting a little dark by that time so I thought at first it was just another piece of dirt encrusted and mangled aluminum can......so I picked it up and immediately saw the chain of the bracelet. Could have knocked me over with a feather. I sure wasn't expecting a chunk of silver! It weighs in at 1.6 ounces and marked on the back "Silver Made In Mexico". That little lot has been good to me, at least 2 ounces of silver so far and several decent coins and other relics. And can you imagine.....they hauled off SEVERAL dump truck loads of dirt to level the lot. Guess who knows where that dirt is........muhahahahahaha

Happy Hunting!!

Attachments

• 329finds1.jpg
    329finds1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 329finds.jpg
    329finds.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 4213finds.jpg
    4213finds.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 6
OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The title should read over 1.5 ounces of silver.....hit the wrong key!

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice!!! I'm thinking that the Cape Brewery Bar token is from Cape Girardeau and was from the retail outlet of the Cape Brewery & Ice Company. How about posting pics of the token to TokenCatalog.com for the good of the hobby?
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! I'm thinking that the Cape Brewery Bar token is from Cape Girardeau and was from the retail outlet of the Cape Brewery & Ice Company. How about posting pics of the token to TokenCatalog.com for the good of the hobby?
John in the Great 208

The token is definitely from Cape Girardeau and the Cape Brewery. I used to have a big brass one that was the size of a silver dollar, may have been the same Cape Brewery but was for an ice cold beer and a much nicer token. That one got stolen several years ago. Was always one of my favorite finds and I have thought about it often. Never saw another like it. And I actually have quite a few tokens that I need to post pics of on the tokencatalog.com. Just havn't sat down and taken the time to do so. Will soon.

Last edited:

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great digs!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! Nice haul on the silver ! Yep we've all seen the flat round disk with the roofing nail in the middle, I always think it's a quarter ! Lol!

OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! Nice haul on the silver ! Yep we've all seen the flat round disk with the roofing nail in the middle, I always think it's a quarter ! Lol!
I've dug so many of those things it's not even funny. On some sites I notch them out in discrimination but only when there's literaly so many that it drives me crazy. On my machines they show up about the same as a wheat or Indian, and strength of signal depends a lot on the shape. The ones on this particular site have square and octagonal bases and those don't "pop" nearly as good a signal as the round ones do.....still sounds pretty sweet though when you hunt mainly by the sound of the signal!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread