Civil War Dream Field Day 1 - 3 Plates, 100+ bullets.

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Hey everybody. I don't post here too often, but have to post this one up!

In short, I got a scholarship to the Minelab/Montpelier project and got my dad and 2 hunting buddies, Ron and Jim, to tag along (we're all from CA). We tacked on a few extra days around the project to do some extracurricular hunting. 1st day I got 12 bullets at a site - my intro to Civil War hunting. After Montpelier we spent 2 days an unproductive sites. Then we got permission for this one.

We had an idea there might be something on it, but nothing like this. Small site, about half a football field. Started wandering and hit a pretty shallow bullet. Then a couple deep ones... Then we got tuned in. High sensitivity on the Minelabs, no iron, trash, or shallow signals in the ground. Bullets were coming out at 10", all over the place, but particularly in one small area. Then Ron got a bullet signal and dug a hole that was much deeper than it should have been for a bullet, with the probe singing at the bottom. It was a big circular disk, crumbling - an Eagle Breast Plate. After a bunch of shouting and whooping we were back on it. Not 15 minutes later, 10 feet away, another deep bullet signal deeper than a bullet could have been. This one was dug out carefully; an oval, rotting away, with clips on the back - the US buckle. We knew we had the whole package here, and it wasn't another 20 minutes before there was another super deep signal singing at the bottom of the hole (these were all around 16"-18", and we have them all on video :) ) - the final piece, the cartridge box plate, in much better condition than the other 2.

All in all we got over 100 bullets, and the 3 plates, and some other assorted bits (hook, finial, etc.) That was yesterday. We spent all day hitting it again today and got almost 200 bullets, many in large spills (vast majority were 3 ringers, dropped - which would point to a camp site). Tonight is our last night here in Virginia, and I'm typing from the hotel. It's been a crazy whirlwind... The best part is - we got it all on multiple GoPros and phone cameras, including a head mounted GoPro with the detector audio jacked directly in so you can hear the initial hit and dig from beginning to end (I got the breast plate from signal to dig!) Some of these bullets - the original signal and depth, you simply would not believe unless you saw the videos. This place has been cleaned out to 8"+, but there was a lot more there, and I'm sure there are still HUNDREDS of bullets, and more plates, out of range.

I'll post some pics here, but it might be a while until we can get everything together for a proper post. It's been a long 11 days I'm exhausted and still need to pack... We certainly got spoiled with our first trip out here - it's been an absolutely incredible experience, and I still can't believe we got on this amazing, amazing field.

Ok, that was A LOT longer than I intended... Enjoy the pics! I'll let you all know when we get something up on YouTube; the footage is fantastic :D

Attachments

• IMG_6353.JPG
    IMG_6353.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 326
  • IMG_6355.JPG
    IMG_6355.JPG
    921.9 KB · Views: 311
  • Breast Plate.jpg
    Breast Plate.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 213
  • US Buckle 01.jpg
    US Buckle 01.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 197
  • US Buckle 02.jpg
    US Buckle 02.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 193
  • Box Plate.jpg
    Box Plate.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 195
  • US Buckle 03.jpg
    US Buckle 03.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 201
Upvote 15
OP
OP
staydetuned

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
And pics from today, last day there... (We've been invited to return whenever we want; the owners were awesome)...

Many multiple bullet drops today, many in a row for me. 3, 3, 6, 13, and 6 I think (all the dirty ones on the left), all on video too... First pic (with J hook) is mine, second my dad's (all the round balls and the Gardner at the top were in the same hole). Talk about history! Every one of these finds just paints such a vivid picture... Ok, time to pack and go to bed; see you all soon, and thanks for looking!!

j01.jpg

D01.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an epic first hunt! Congratulations on a great hunt and trip of a life time.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
great job!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap! :notworthy:

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner day there. Congrats man.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your faces are worth a thousand words! What an awesome hunt that was. To do it with your boys, well that's really special. Great job fellas

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow. I'll bet that was all kinds of fun

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations! :notworthy:

spudnuts11

Mar 29, 2014
Postenkill ny
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vary nice,I use a AT PRO and I usually dont dig iron found coins -gilt buttons.
What do the bullets register as on the detector.
Do you think these item are in the ground in the Poestenkill NY area
if so let me know and I will start looking for them
THANKS the pics are GREAT

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, I can only dream of a CW hunt like that!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other

Flathead25

Mar 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vary nice,I use a AT PRO and I usually dont dig iron found coins -gilt buttons.
What do the bullets register as on the detector.
Do you think these item are in the ground in the Poestenkill NY area
if so let me know and I will start looking for them
THANKS the pics are GREAT

If I have a good, solid 70 (no jumping around) around 6-8", I can almost guarantee it's a bullet. It's the BEST sound in the world! Just my experience though....

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, I LIVE in Virginia and never had a hunt anything close to that! Just curious, would never be able to find your site, but would you narrow it down to just the county or town for us? Like Fredericksburg, Petersburg, Mechanicsville, Richmond, Winchester? I'm just dying of curiosity where this many plates are still in the ground??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread