Yesterdays Colonial Hunt and 1600s silver to save the day!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's Colonial Hunt and 1600's silver to save the day!!!

Whew - man am I tired and sore. My good buddy Bill D and I got together for a full day hunt on a warm spring day yesterday. We decided to spend most of the day methodically sifting the Money Pit to find missing pieces of pottery / china and MONEY!! For those who did not read the earlier post, it is a reference to a pit I located a few weeks ago where several colonial coins surfaced (Money Pit Post).

Well - we worked on it but between the heat and the size of this pit we called it a day after several hours. We did manage to locate a few nice finds and buttons - though Bill did score an additional payment from the pit (will let him tell you about it). There is something cool about eyeballing relics from a pit like this, even if just a few surface.

We decided to spend some time surface hunting the site a bit more and am I glad we did. We worked our way towards a hill that we previously wrote off, only to see the right signs (pipe stems and glass) showing through the plowed field. Bill eyeballed probably one of the most unique signs (should call it a billboard) that I have ever seen. Either way we slowed down and dug.

This hillside was LOADED with lead shot (almost entirely all fired) of various sizes. I kept digging lead blob after lead blob until finally I heard a nice little high tone mixed in. Out popped this beauty of a small spanish cob (likely mid 1600s) to save my coin day.

We finished the day surface hunting a few buttons and odds and ends. My take for the day - 14 or so buttons, the cob, some lead (fired, dropped, melted) and a few other odds and ends including the majority of a pipe bowl and the back half of another. I did manage to eyeball another point and a chunk of flint.

The season is almost over - just not yet!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• CP1.jpg
    CP1.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 123
  • CP2.jpg
    CP2.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 171
  • CP3.jpg
    CP3.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 151
  • CP4.jpg
    CP4.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 123
  • CP5.jpg
    CP5.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 143
  • CP6.jpg
    CP6.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 126
  • CP7.jpg
    CP7.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 170
  • CP8.jpg
    CP8.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 158
  • CP9.jpg
    CP9.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 143
  • CP10.jpg
    CP10.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 152
  • CP11.jpg
    CP11.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 166
  • CP12.jpg
    CP12.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 139
  • CP13.jpg
    CP13.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 155
  • CP14.jpg
    CP14.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 130
  • CP15.jpg
    CP15.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 133
  • CP16.jpg
    CP16.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 12

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post and pics Dan (except for my ugly mug). That was a grueling day in the pit, and it could have been made so much easier if the finds had been more plentiful. But since that was our 3rd time in that dirt I guess we couldn't expect but so much. But I think we're both happy with the results from the entire day's hunt and dig, and like you were saying, anytime you can come home with spanish silver in your pocket its been a productive outing. Had a blast, and hope we can squeeze in a couple more hunts before the fat lady sings.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
You guys must be neck and neck with the coin count. Nice cob Dan, always a welcome find. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Cob there Danny Boy, looks like you had a "hole" lot of fun.
Congrats,
ZDD

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Awesome finds!!!!!!!

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great collection of artefacts , and a nice Spaniard to ice the cake , congrats ..cheers Mick

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job bud! You guys have made great use of your time. A cob is high on my wish list. That old silver seems much more prominent in your area but I will keep at it

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job bud! You guys have made great use of your time. A cob is high on my wish list. That old silver seems much more prominent in your area but I will keep at it

Thanks man - I hope you get one soon! Bill and I talk often about how the currency varies based on where you are located. The guys up north stand a shot at those killer tree shillings and state coppers.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your finds!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job, another cob.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the cob and the other goodies Dan. Let me know when you're ready to dust off the kayaks.

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the cob...high on my list this year.

That pit digging looks like a lot of fun .

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks man - I hope you get one soon! Bill and I talk often about how the currency varies based on where you are located. The guys up north stand a shot at those killer tree shillings and state coppers.
nice hunt you guys! Dan i'd take a cob any day over our toasted state coppers!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice variety there:icon_thumleft:

Sweet Cob..

The weather is finally here..