Amazing Colonial hunt, NJ copper cuff links and more!

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Hey All, what a day!

First, I have to say I plain stumbled on to this site. I pulled over in a parking lot to make a phone call and was looking around and saw an interesting clump of trees. When I finished I hopped out to take a look. Found the usual pottery, shell and some brick. When I entered the woods, there it was a small little stone foundation, maybe 12' by 20'. Here are my finds. Also, after some research I found this on an 1867 map and by the fifties it was off the aerials.

Can anyone tell me more or date the locks?

Thanks
Don

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    793.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 14

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow .......... hope you know you have surpassed your allowable quota for the month of April. No longer allowed to hunt this month. Gotta let the Southern Boys catch up. Little danger of us getting into very many colonial sites here in TN as they are few and far between. Congrats on a great hunt. :notworthy:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, it is not in quite as good of shape as I had hoped for you. I might get lucky after I study the shield side, but it is in rough shape, that's for sure, please let me know the state and county found in.

If you get to see any of the plow shape let me know, right now I cannot make out the shape of the plow handles or the beam, if you can tell if the beam is straight or curved that would help. Thanks
Don

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some very nice finds right bthere,...love the 2 cent piece !!!!

Looks like you had a lot of fun ...lotsa targets.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! The New Jersey coppers are starting to turn up. Saw one posted yesterday as well. Congrats to you. :thumbsup:

1stColonialRegiment

Mar 1, 2014
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer man I live for the colonial! Cuff links are sweeeet. In my opinion the locks are late 19th C. (maybe early 20th C.) still great for the display case
-1st CR

OP
OP
70monte68

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
OP
OP
70monte68

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Killer man I live for the colonial! Cuff links are sweeeet. In my opinion the locks are late 19th C. (maybe early 20th C.) still great for the display case
-1st CR

Thanks. Already have a spot for them in the case, lol...

OP
OP
70monte68

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Ah, it is not in quite as good of shape as I had hoped for you. I might get lucky after I study the shield side, but it is in rough shape, that's for sure, please let me know the state and county found in.

If you get to see any of the plow shape let me know, right now I cannot make out the shape of the plow handles or the beam, if you can tell if the beam is straight or curved that would help. Thanks
Don

Don, I sent you the info on both the coppers. Please let me know if you received it.

Thanks,

Don

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pewter Cufflnks

Don, after looking at your NJ coppers, I looked more closely at your Octaganal Cufflinks, which are Pewter and in my opinion are mid 1700s to early late 1700s. Now what really got my attention is what is on the backside of the cufflinks. I don't recall seeing any with markings like yours, although in the back of my mind something looks familiar. The "S1" is strange and so are the letters in a cartouche below it, cannot make out all the letters due to shadow and dirt, QV and than W? Anyway, hope others chime in on this, since to me your find of the day are the cufflinks!

Don, still would like photos of the first NJ, think I have the ID but newer photos might prove me right or wrong on it, also if that possible 3rd NJ turned out to be one or not.

Don

Attachments

• monte cufflinks.jpg
    monte cufflinks.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 495

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's upside down. Could it be HS? Visible letters above are "S(?) AU" Here is a counterstamped half reale I found with a similar counterstamp.

010-1.JPG

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The S1 is not upside down, it is a definite 1. isn't it? :)

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I definitely think it's pictured upside down, and do see the possibility of the mark being "H S", although the H appears to be off to the left a bit. Here's a negative image rotated.

monte cufflinks.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye to observe that clump of trees. A clump of trees in a cultivated field can often mean an old house site, since it would be too much work to remove the foundation stones, they often just plowed around it. Love the cufflinks - very unusual with the markings on the back.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the cools finds. Love it when you find a new spot accidently.

OP
OP
70monte68

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
First thanks Don and Neil for the interest. A few things I would like to know:
If they are S1 what does that mean and are there books or info on cufflinks that would help.
If it is HS would that mean they are Spanish Made?
Most important to me is how do I clean them AND preserve them since they are pewter?

Thanks for the help

Don

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, you can apply the Elmer's glue to the cufflinks or spray them lightly with clear lacquer Here is a section from BuckleBoys Cleaning buttons post from a few years back......... (BTW, I use spray clear polyurethane and never tried the two below methods, (recommended to spray by a top Rev War button collector)

PEWTER BUTTONS
These must be cleaned Very carefully. I usually place them in a Ziploc baggie to keep them moist after finding them, then take them home and soak and gently toothpick them--using care around the edges (which will typically start to flake over time). After cleaning and THOROUGH drying, these must be coated with a thin coat of urethane (painted on and then thinned out across the front of the button) to preserve them and prevent them from continuing to flake away. Some have had good results with painting several coats of a 50/50 mixture of Elmer's Glue and water on them to stabilize the flaking away of the edges of the buttons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread