Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been detecting for a couple of months with the AT Pro... probably 50 hours. It finally happened this weekend, I found my first silver coin. On Saturday afternoon we hit up an old house that is going to be demolished, I got a really nice high tone, like a dog yelp, and out popped this well worn 1903 Barber dime. I could barely believe my eyes.
I went back on Sunday afternoon... imagine that. I got a nice hit, but the VDI would not stabilize. I dug the hole anyway, and out popped a 1945 wheatie, I scanned the hole again, and got an awesome high tone, pulled a little dirt out and there sat a 1942 Mercury dime. It is in really nice condition, it must have jumped in the dirt early in it's life.
It's raining today, so I will have to wait a couple of days before returning to hunt the place again.
Thanks for looking adn HH.

Attachments

• 1903BarberDime.jpg
    1903BarberDime.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 1942Merc.jpg
    1942Merc.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 12

jackc

Jun 24, 2013
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet!
still searching for my first silvers! I can't wait! Awesome finds! HH

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom..great job finding the silvers !! LOVE those high tones..I get all tense and shaky when I start to dig a good high tone such as that. I don't have 50 hours on my ATP yet, still learning. And of course..said it before, I'll say it again..I am partial to the Merc..very beautiful coin, and yours appear to be in great shape. Thx for sharing..ddf

Judepb

Mar 25, 2014
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites idx pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job I still haven't found silver either, although I've haven't been hunting long and mostly just civil war places

Blueblood

Oct 10, 2013
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! That was my first silver find a few years ago. What settings were you running on your AT Pro when you found the coins? I bought my AT last year and have been experimenting with my settings.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When they knock old houses down like this sometimes they will come in to grade and level the land afterwards. If you can, detect again after they do that. Sometimes they will shave a few inches off of spots and you'll be able to detect object that were too deep before.

Congrats on the silver! You never forget your first!

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrat on your first silverS! I just dug up 2 silver quarters in one hole and I never dug up a silver quarter before! great feeling!!!

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Blueblood,
I was using the large coil, to cover more ground (and maybe get a little more depth). I have been running Pro Zero with sensitivity all the way up. I like the Standard mode Coins setting, but I think that I miss targets using it. I dig the "bell"..ding ding ding. Granted, the machine makes a bunch of noise in Pro mode, but I just listen for high tones or chirps, then try to zero in on them, and look for VDIs 78 and above. If it shows 81 or above, even if it is jumpy, I dig a hole. If the machine is just plain too noisy, I lower the sensitivty a notch or two. Hope that helps, HH.

slippy

Mar 28, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, those are some good looking coins! I'm also anticipating my first silver, bet it feels awesome

Apr 7, 2014
Sussex
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
always a good day when you find silver, well saved

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, Your hooked now more than ever!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Blueblood,
I was using the large coil, to cover more ground (and maybe get a little more depth). I have been running Pro Zero with sensitivity all the way up. I like the Standard mode Coins setting, but I think that I miss targets using it. I dig the "bell"..ding ding ding. Granted, the machine makes a bunch of noise in Pro mode, but I just listen for high tones or chirps, then try to zero in on them, and look for VDIs 78 and above. If it shows 81 or above, even if it is jumpy, I dig a hole. If the machine is just plain too noisy, I lower the sensitivty a notch or two. Hope that helps, HH.
Tom, like I said prior, those high tones and that "chirp chirp chirp" make me slobber! And yes-81 seems to be the magic number, as that is where I find my dimes and quarters, I have SO MUCH to learn about that machine. I would like to also get the smaller coil, I hear it is a coin-finding unit. STILL hunting silver...but I am currently hunting more modern places around here, so until I expand my horizons, its CLAD ONLY for me. Thx again...ddf

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't find too many barbers here so a big congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread