Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just getting around to posting this from a few weeks back, but headed back down for 3 days to my Low Country field of Dreams and it did not disappoint. We hit some other areas this year as well and it turned out quite productive-My Dad dug 5 eagle buttons and an 1843 half dime and my uncle recovered (on top of ground) a very nice Porter Military Academy cuff (out of Charleston).

The field is an awesome array of relics and time periods. From early 1700's on up to civil war. I dug over 100 flats again and this time hit some real nice finds with a gold gilded British Lieutenant Tudor Rose button, 1812 Artillery and a 1775 half reale (worn with exception of date)-Some real nice dandy buttons, beautiful saddle shield, and many others.

thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20140324_155830.jpg
    20140324_155830.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 20140324_155934.jpg
    20140324_155934.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 20140326_115822.jpg
    20140326_115822.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 20140326_213939.jpg
    20140326_213939.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 20140326_213920.jpg
    20140326_213920.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 201
Upvote 17

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice hunting spot you have! It must be fun to be in a spot that has so many targets.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a hunt! Great stuff guys. Looks nice on the back of the Tahoe? Just a guess looks like the back o mine :-)

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some very cool buttons..... I like buttons..hehe.

Grear looking hunt !!!!!

Tahoe ...damn that is gonna be a big gas bill AHAB !!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did really great!Sorry but a Tudor Rose looks completely different. Google 'Tudor Rose' in images.I also don't buy into or think its a Lieutenant button, looks like a typical Civvy type to me.Keep at that field, something really special should show soon.

OP
OP
Palmetto

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You did really great!Sorry but a Tudor Rose looks completely different. Google 'Tudor Rose' in images.I also don't buy into or think its a Lieutenant button, looks like a typical Civvy type to me.Keep at that field, something really special should show soon.

Thanks for the comment-while I certainly don't consider myself an expert I do think it is a tudor rose military button. My description of it as a Lieutenant's button was taken from its reference in Troiani's book.. On doing further research, there are tons of different styles of the tudor rose. After reading your post, for example, my first search got me to the colchestertreasurehunting site that has buttons archived-they have the almost exact similar one referenced there as a captains button.Navy buttons.

This field has produced another early british navy button as well(last trip down).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 20140325_071356.jpg
    20140325_071356.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comment-while I certainly don't consider myself an expert I do think it is a tudor rose military button. My description of it as a Lieutenant's button was taken from its reference in Troiani's book.. On doing further research, there are tons of different styles of the tudor rose. After reading your post, for example, my first search got me to the colchestertreasurehunting site that has buttons archived-they have the almost exact similar one referenced there as a captains button.Navy buttons.

This field has produced another early british navy button as well(last trip down).

"
"almost exact similar " is not the same, and close only count in ....
That website has already been questioned in the past.

Tudor rose pattern has 5 petals not 7. Being found near something else does little either.

Case in point I got this one last year. It has 5 petals, was found with other navy, and artillery buttons, but was discounted, because it's just not.

find13-65-b.JPG

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Forget the Colchester site, anything with a Tudor rose on it, or anything that's close they'd probably call a Navy button.

I've looked at your button for the few minutes trying somehow to make the petal count to 5, because it is definitely made the same way as the Navy buttons, but I can't do it because it's different. It's definitely not a variant listed in the book, but as I said other than having too many petals it's exactly right. So personally I would not be too fast to call it a Navy button, but because it is so close that makes me even question all the ones in the book. (because if this button is civilian than why couldn't one with a fewer amount of petals also be) So again my gut feeling is it's not, and it's too bad things are pretty vague when it comes to these and which actually are the real deal, and which aren't, but get called Navy. Basically all we can do is go by the book, because his opinion certainly counts for more then ours.... unless there is a lot of evidence to proof otherwise, and that does happen from time to time, as things do change. I like the button regardless, and it is very interesting and makes a person wonder exactly how it was used.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to know the source of the book writer for these buttons. Pretty sure this has turned into an urban myth. If some of them were, then many,many designs were not & have been lumped into the same. I find every type of flower/rose design you can image & all are Civilian. Many found in area's I get no Military stuff at all. Doesn't completely prove it, but in my mind, I'm sure they can't all be.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice haul. I like seeing treasure from the Carolinas. Thanks for sharing.

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to discount the amazing finds by arguing over a flower button! ;) Awesome hunt Palmetto. Military or not its cool and 100 buttons means it was well traveled keep at it and maybe there really is a rev war lieutenants button out there for you. Amazing finds.

OP
OP
Palmetto

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all the replies -oh well, you learn something new everyday. I don't post too often on this site but one thing is for sure, you will get it authenticated or not real quick!! Ha.

1stColonialRegiment

Mar 1, 2014
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies -oh well, you learn something new everyday. I don't post too often on this site but one thing is for sure, you will get it authenticated or not real quick!! Ha.

Yeah I found that out myself lol people get pretty defensive about there opinions for some reason...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I found that out myself lol people get pretty defensive about there opinions for some reason...

Trying to ID a button properly is defensive?

Most times on this site what I see is an upset finder who would rather believe what they want than the truth.... and it's like the person delivering the 'bad news' cost them their good find. I keep in contact through messaging with someone who has ID'ed many finds on this site over the years and that person often writes me to say look, yet another person just passes by my reply (which is clearly right) and continues talking to all the clueless people who are just throwing out guesses. (because those guesses is what they want to hear and believe)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions