Civil War Buttons, War of 1812 Buttons, and a Bullet... GOT MY FIRST BACK!!!

• Thread starter SouthCarolinaTeacher
  • Start date
S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Hey Guys and Gals,

Ever since I sold my first Civil War Relic find, which was a N.M.C. Cadet Button($1000), I have been kicking myself in the rear.

Today I got out with drdave and Books-r-Ashlie over at the White's Forum for a couple of hours. It was CHILLY and I after seeing both of them head back to the house, I was about to change my course and head back myself. Instead, I hit my old N.M.C. spot once more that I have hit HARD! I got a decent hit, about +40-+50 at 5 inches down. Dug my plug and just on the outer wall, I spotted a green streak. I knew it was a button and I had a pretty good hunch it was a N.M.C. Button. Got it home and got her cleaned off and Yoila! I was so excited to get that type of button back into my collection. Toadman was right. He said, "Check about 10 ft to the left and 20 ft back. There's another one there!" Pretty close to the old one; about 5ft away Smiley

ALSO, I dug a SMALL cuff button. I got it home and looked at it under a magnifying glass and it displayed to me a 1812 Artillery Cuff which is my first for that war! If you look at the pictures, you can make out a cannon. Just find the circle, which is the wheel. The barrel is on top of the wheel.

Along with those awesome finds, I was able to grab a great 3-Ringer and a Large Flat Button. Not bad for a couple of hours 8)

Happy Hunting,
Ian

Attachments

• ians finds 002.jpg
    ians finds 002.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 5,865
  • ians finds 004.jpg
    ians finds 004.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 5,578
  • ians finds 003.jpg
    ians finds 003.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 5,150
Upvote 1

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Oh man thats fantastic! Gawd I love the buttons... are the Artty buttons harder to come by? Do you think it's as valuable as the last you dug? I do realize it's in rough shape...

Great way to end the day!! ;)

JimInPhilly

Mar 27, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro and Sovereign Elite
Re: Civil War Buttons, War of 1812 Buttons, and a Bullet... GOT MY FIRST BACK!!

Excellent , I think Id fall over if I found that button!

OP
OP
S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Montana Jim said:
Oh man thats fantastic! Gawd I love the buttons... are the Artty buttons harder to come by? Do you think it's as valuable as the last you dug? I do realize it's in rough shape...

Great way to end the day!! ;)

I'm not sure on the smaller cuff button as to it's worth.

The N.M.C. Cadet Button is in rough shape compared to my last, but there aren't but maybe 10 known to be in existence now. Regardless of it's worth, it's too valuable to sell now. I've made that mistake once. Won't happen again :)

Ian

OP
OP
S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Thanks Guys!

I'm going to be heading back out Today and Tomorrow. Hopefully retrieve a few more of these beauties.

Ian

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
lmao,,,,,,dude, i was right ???? way too funny.... :o :o :o :o :o
great finds,, glad to see ya got the piece back..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now those are some really nice Relics. Congrats on finding another N.M.C. Cadet button.

I found a Sterling Silver War of 1812 Officers button last year here in Ohio. One of the best one's I've ever seen and one of my better finds.

Would love to come down your way and find some really neat CW items. I have a few 3 ringers I've found here in Ohio at a camp, but would really like to have some from a camp down your way.

HH, Ringfinder

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A button this good belongs on the thread at the top of the page!

Buckleboy

ashdigger

May 29, 2005
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

Man that Cadet button's great
Good Job!!! :o :o :o

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UNBELIEVABLE!! :o That is one heck of a find there! My bud and I found a new spot and he found a general staff officers button today but compared to that beauty, that like finding a penny to a spanish reale, LOL ;D ;D Great job, keep them coming!!!

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice finds...why were there an 1812 button and a Civil War button in the same place?

OP
OP
S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

pather said:
Very nice finds...why were there an 1812 button and a Civil War button in the same place?

Pather,

The War of 1812 was not fought in Tennessee, so it got me to thinking the same thing. Knowing that the Confederate Army had less quality items than that of their counterparts, I do know that the Confederate Soldiers had to use anything they could get their hands on.

Now, with that said, many Civil War soldiers relatives fought in the War of 1812. After the war was over, the soldiers went home with their uniforms, etc.

My thinking is this:

1. The Soldier's relative let him have the uniform coat to use during the Civil War, which is most likely.
or
2. The same War of 1812 Soldier fought in the Civil War, although unlikely, but possible. If the soldier was 18 years old in 1812 he would have been 69 in 1863, the year when this camp was being used.

I would say from the wear of the button, the family used the coat often.

That's my inclinations about it. If you guys have any more ideas, please let me know!

Happy Hunting,
Ian

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SouthCarolinaTeacher said:
pather said:

Pather,

The War of 1812 was not fought in Tennessee, so it got me to thinking the same thing. Knowing that the Confederate Army had less quality items than that of there counterparts, I do know that the Confederate Soldiers had to use anything they could get their hands on.

Now, with that said, many Civil War soldiers relatives fought in the War of 1812. After the war was over, the soldiers went home with their uniforms, etc.

My thinking is this:

1. The Soldier's relative let him have the uniform coat to use during the Civil War, which is most likely.
or
2. The same War of 1812 Soldier fought in the Civil War, although unlikely, but possible. If the soldier was 18 years old in 1812 he would have been 69 in 1863, the year when this camp was being used.

I would say from the wear of the button, the family used the coat often.

That's my inclinations about it. If you guys have any more ideas, please let me know!

Happy Hunting,
Ian
That would make sense.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Toadman=Green1?! :D

Fantastic find, SC. It must have been like deja vu to dig another one! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread