New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went for a ride today to a place to try and get permits for state WMA's, no luck! On the way back I stopped at a old house to knock on the door. This is where I'm starting to have second thoughts. A older lady comes out of the house a little combative at first after I introduced myself as a hobbiest and all around great guy. She says "well what makes you think you can come on someone else's property and keep what is rightfully there's"? I just told her that I never said anything about keeping anything. She went on about, why are you doing this? what do you think your going to find? Have you ever found anything really worth allot of money? I fielded all her questions, telling her that I just like to pass my time doing what I do digging up other peoples trash hoping to find old coins that I think are pretty and are worth at most 20 or 30 dollars on a good day. She then said go ahead and do it, do you have your equipment? I come back with my stuff and she asked if I had a card, when I said no she says how about some ID? I hand her my licence (this is where I made my mistake and should have run) she goes up the steps out of the sun and takes a pic of my ID?? She hands it back. I start detecting and she says, "if anyone says anything, the owner didn't say you could detect here. I turned around and said who is the owner, she says " my boyfriend, but he is working so hurry up and do your thing" I just turned around and detected around the corner, around the front, down one side, back out another all the time thinking is this a good idea? I finally after about 20 minutes decided I better beat it. I said goodbye and thank you, and she was like"hey you didn't do my back yard yet, why don't you do my back yard?" She then started chewing my ear off about Lyme disease and Jessie Venturie and the Plumb Island conspiracy and I finally broke free running for my car, ha lol.

I spent a couple hours at one of my other permissions in the morning, finding this neat looking brass pendant.
Here are some pix, enjoy and happy hunting
Brad

Oh yeah, when I told my girlfriend about what had happened she told me what I already knew, "your a whore to metal detecting" haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, lol
"you'll do anything to look for treasure"

Upvote 7

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Enjoyable story, couldn't read it without grinning. :thumbsup:

Kind of like the story about the guy crossing over another guy's property. Seeing a dog in the fellas yard he asks the guy if his dog bites to which he gets a no. So he continues on across and the dog bites him. He looks over at the fella and says I thought you said your dog doesn't bite to which the guy answers....it ain't my dog.

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went for a ride today to a place to try and get permits for state WMA's, no luck! On the way back I stopped at a old house to knock on the door. This is where I'm starting to have second thoughts. A older lady comes out of the house a little combative at first after I introduced myself as a hobbiest and all around great guy. She says "well what makes you think you can come on someone else's property and keep what is rightfully there's"? I just told her that I never said anything about keeping anything. She went on about, why are you doing this? what do you think your going to find? Have you ever found anything really worth allot of money? I fielded all her questions, telling her that I just like to pass my time doing what I do digging up other peoples trash hoping to find old coins that I think are pretty and are worth at most 20 or 30 dollars on a good day. She then said go ahead and do it, do you have your equipment? I come back with my stuff and she asked if I had a card, when I said no she says how about some ID? I hand her my licence (this is where I made my mistake and should have run) she goes up the steps out of the sun and takes a pic of my ID?? She hands it back. I start detecting and she says, "if anyone says anything, the owner didn't say you could detect here. I turned around and said who is the owner, she says " my boyfriend, but he is working so hurry up and do your thing" I just turned around and detected around the corner, around the front, down one side, back out another all the time thinking is this a good idea? I finally after about 20 minutes decided I better beat it. I said goodbye and thank you, and she was like"hey you didn't do my back yard yet, why don't you do my back yard?" She then started chewing my ear off about Lyme disease and Jessie Venturie and the Plumb Island conspiracy and I finally broke free running for my car, ha lol. I spent a couple hours at one of my other permissions in the morning, finding this neat looking brass pendant. Here are some pix, enjoy and happy hunting Brad http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/fatmaninboat/media/Pendant/SAM_0287_zpsf8800462.jpg.html http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/fatmaninboat/media/Pendant/SAM_0288_zps511bfb62.jpg.html http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/fatmaninboat/media/Pendant/SAM_0289_zps94f13ad9.jpg.html Oh yeah, when I told my girlfriend about what had happened she told me what I already knew, "your a whore to metal detecting" haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, lol "you'll do anything to look for treasure"
Very funny.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She knows you oh so well! Lol!

You were lucky to leave there with your ears attached!

Nice bunch of finds!

I love it when people think we always dig up gold! We used to go to the beach after work, I would detect and hubby walked, per doctors advice. When he passed by on the side walk he would yell "Gold! Gold!" So everybody looks at me! I would like to have buried him in the sand every time he did that!

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you got some brass, I think ya no what I mean..anyway I'll just stay in the the park..i have a mother in law like this..best of luck to buddy....

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever I ask for permission and they start in on a third degree, I thank them but remember a toothache I'd scheduled for that time.

There is just plain too much nowadays! How did they put it? "An overabundance of caution." ?

If I were you, I'd keep an eye on my bank account. Might start getting a few extra credit card bills too.
They want my ID? I tell them my name is Whadifind. ;) That's it.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, psycho.

I would hope she deletes the picture or she may show her deranged boyfriend. lol.

Tony12100

Oct 14, 2013
Southern New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
From the sounds of everything I just read...you must be from new jersey. I am also. Why you can kill animals , shoot bullets and arrows and NOT be able to dig a small hole to retreave a coin in a WMA just boggles my mind. Not to mention we as taxpayers own it. I understand historic areas are off limits. But WMA s ????.

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOLOL...great story.....

She prolly has a dungeon and chains in her basement....with your name on them !!!!!

I woulda ran...without detecting !!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever I ask for permission and they start in on a third degree, I thank them but remember a toothache I'd scheduled for that time.

There is just plain too much nowadays! How did they put it? "An overabundance of caution." ?

If I were you, I'd keep an eye on my bank account. Might start getting a few extra credit card bills too.
They want my ID? I tell them my name is Whadifind. ;) That's it.
Yeah, I can't believe I just gave up my id like that??? It really is scary, knowing what info is on that ID.

Wow, psycho.

I would hope she deletes the picture or she may show her deranged boyfriend. lol.
About a mile down the road I figure the boyfriend will be looking for me tomorrow. I might have to pack some heat for a few days.

From the sounds of everything I just read...you must be from new jersey. I am also. Why you can kill animals , shoot bullets and arrows and NOT be able to dig a small hole to retreave a coin in a WMA just boggles my mind. Not to mention we as taxpayers own it. I understand historic areas are off limits. But WMA s ????.
The Taxpayers don't pay for NJ WMA's they are paid for from licence fees and permits. Hunters and fishermen paid for that land and a taxpayer that never hunted or fished has public privilege to use that land. Everyone of the higher ups that I have spoke to all say the same thing. That they were not capable to keep up with the demand for permits so they just outlawed it until otherwise changed.

Tony12100

Oct 14, 2013
Southern New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
I find it hard to believe that WMA are solely purchased and maintained by hunting and fishing license purchases. Sounds like nj would benefit from selling metal detecting permits just like county parks do. Hey there's no way a good detectorist could do as much damage as the hunters that leave shot gun shells and beer cans. And the fishing line and trash fisherman leave.

Tony12100

Oct 14, 2013
Southern New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
I hunt and I fish..I pay about 250.00 per year for permits. I am also a state employee that performs services in WMA that I know is not funded but hunting and fishing permits.

Man o' War

Mar 15, 2014
N.E. Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Other
Heard this the other day. "They are using cell towers to project parabolic beams, that's how they project those images you see on the news"

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it hard to believe that WMA are solely purchased and maintained by hunting and fishing license purchases. Sounds like nj would benefit from selling metal detecting permits just like county parks do. Hey there's no way a good detectorist could do as much damage as the hunters that leave shot gun shells and beer cans. And the fishing line and trash fisherman leave.

I hunt and I fish..I pay about 250.00 per year for permits. I am also a state employee that performs services in WMA that I know is not funded but hunting and fishing permits.

That was a crazy story though...lol. Maybe someday we can detect nj state owned WMA S legaly

There is a federal Act call the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittman–Robertson_Federal_Aid_in_Wildlife_Restoration_Act, monies from sales of hunting and fishing things are taxed and state wise it comes from licences. It does not come from any local or state tax. It comes from NJ fish and wildlife and the federal tax on guns, ammo, and fishing stuff also. I will Google it and put in the link next

Last edited:
OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Jersey's Wildlife Management Area System, administered by the Division of Fish and Wildlife's Bureau of Land Management, preserves a diversity of fish and wildlife habitats from Delaware Bay coastal marshes to Kittatinny Ridge mountain tops. Ranging in size from the 0.68 acre Delaware River Fishing Access Site at the Pennsauken WMA to the 30,000-acre Greenwood Forest Tract in Burlington and Ocean counties, Wildlife Management Areas provide countless outdoor recreational opportunities for New Jersey residents and visitors from out of state.

The system had its beginning with the purchase of the 387-acre Walpack Tract in Sussex County in 1932. This land was purchased as a "Public Shooting and Fishing Ground" by the Board of Fish and Game Commissioners, the forerunner of today's Fish and Game Council. Presently there are approximately 344,500 acres in 121 areas, and new properties and additions to existing properties are continually being added. This acreage represents more than 44% of New Jersey's state-owned public open space.

Initially, the purchase of lands for the Wildlife Management Area System was funded entirely from the sale of hunting and fishing licenses. In 1961, the first of several Green Acres bond issues was approved, enabling the general public to participate in the development of the system. Approximately half of the present system was purchased through the Green Acres bond issues. Operational funding is provided entirely by hunters and anglers. Capital projects such as boat ramps, dams and parking lots are usually funded through combinations of Federal Aid (funds from excise taxes on sporting equipment), Green Acres and General Fund Capital appropriations.

Through the years, particularly with the infusion of Green Acres monies since 1961, the mission of the Wildlife Management Area System gradually broadened from "Public Shooting and Fishing Grounds" to areas where fish and wildlife habitat is protected and enhanced, while providing a variety of compatible recreational and educational opportunities.

The number of people in search of wildlife-oriented recreational opportunities has grown significantly in the last 40 years as shown by the National Survey of Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife-Associated Recreation, conducted every five years by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. In New Jersey, the 2006 National Survey found that 696,000 people hunted fished, and more than 2,098,000 people participated in other wildlife-oriented recreational activities (bird feeding, wildlife observation, photography, etc.). The survey includes only people 16 years of age and older.

While demand continues to be strong, the overall amount of land available for the pursuit of wildlife-oriented recreation is declining. New Jersey loses roughly 45-sq. mi. of wildlife habitat to development every year. In view of this reality, acquiring and managing Wildlife Management Areas is an important part of management programs conducted by the Division to provide for the public's wildlife-related recreation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread