A good day!

ordfill992

Sep 27, 2003
Madison, Indiana
I found my first ever S.L. quarter, 1925, and my first ever Liberty nickel, 1905. Altogether today, 17 coins, an old sleigh bell, an arrowhead, and various chunks of unidentifiable iron. These were found with my 1266-X at a site which shows up on a map of the area from 1884 as a house, but is now nothing but the middle of a cornfield. According to my maps there are many such sites within a few miles from my house, I've lived here 32 years, and as far as I know, I'm the only such hobbyist in the area. Hopefully I'll have better finds to share in the future!!

Upvote 0
O

Orien

Nice finds ordfill992. gotta love those old homesites.

HH,
Chris

Good job! You definitely are using the right tool for the job- a 1266x.
I don't know if you know the machine fully yet but in an old homesite, I usually dig every good signal on 5 (disc.1) even if it discriminates on
7 (disc.2). You will end up digging junk like scrap metal but you will find lots of interesting brass objects like buttons, badges, tokens, etc.
Sorry, I just realized that you must know this already because you found some buffalo and barber nickels which disc. on 7. Anyway good finds and if you need to ask any questions on this machine fire away. I've been using this M.D. for 9 solid years after using Whites for 10.
H.H. Dave.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! It's hard to believe these coins are in such great shape. Don't they plow cornfields? I would think this just knicks the coins up over time. I am amazed at the condition of the dime and the quarter, the clad I find out here in the southwest is pretty ugly lookin when you take it out of the ground, but I guess the few pieces of silver I have found have looked like these (it's hard to remember since these places are so few and far between). Good job, now keep going back for a while!

G

geatley

Great finds! I can only dream of having one of those days!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check those dates in a book, if I remember correctly there was a variety of 1900 I.H. penny that is worth a lot. It has something to do with initials on it near the right side of the neck. Check the red book. Are there three legs on your buffalo?

OP
OP
O

ordfill992

Sep 27, 2003
Madison, Indiana
I think the condition of some of the coins has to do with the soil in my area, there's a lot of hard packed clay and I think that helps protect some of the coins. Most of my finds, I can't even tell what they are in the field, because they are so caked with clay. I just put them all in a bag and bring them home for a good soaking in water to remove the clay. And yes sometimes it gets tiresome digging old nails, and other bits of trash, but the disc on my 1266-X never goes above the gold level, which on my detector is a little below 5. Those of you who live in rural areas, check your library for those old maps. There are lots of old towns and homes that are now nothing more than fields or wooded lots. Happy Hunting!!

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi ordfill992, what State are you in? Not to nose in on your area, but curious for soil, climate, etc.

OP
OP
O

ordfill992

Sep 27, 2003
Madison, Indiana
Hey, lab rat, sorry it took so long to reply, but with my job I don't have much time for the computer. I live in rural south eastern Indiana, at a crossroads that used to have a church, blacksmith shop and a mercantile, and all of my finds that I have posted so far have been within a 1 mile radius of my home. I use a 1266-X that I bought used in 1991, but I have not gotten really serious about the hobby until a couple of years ago. HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread