OLD FARM SITE..... A few neat finds ...................and got BOOTED !!!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY GUYS AND GALS

Headed out to a old farm site , was there few days ago and decided to go give it another try.

Picked up the neat lock right where we had detected the last time ....tried a couple fields there we hadn,t tried last time. Not a lot of good finds but was fun....and the 1914 large cent.

After 4 hrs we deceided to go get a coffee and headed for home looking for another spot to try for another hour or so before calling it a day.

We ended up stopping at a spot I had gotten permission for late last fall..this was the only the 3rd time I have hunted there since getting permission.

I was hunting along and looked up to see the owner coming threw the field.....We exchanged hellos and say nice day ,glad winter is over...and he abruptly says ..

"I,ll be planting this field sometime in the next year..so you better stop detecting now"

And turns just as abruptly and walks away.... I said " ok..appreciate the time you gave me to hunt"

Last time we had spoken was in town and I had a nice big stencil that I had found there the time before.

It was used to mark apple boxes before shipping...the stencil was the initials of his late deceased grandfather whom he was named after...he was genuinely pleased to get it.

So I,m really kinda stumped by this.....seems very odd....I didn,t ask any questions as it is his land and I have no right to argue with him over his decision.
Only thing I can figure is maybe he couldn,t stand to think that maybe I might find something valueable and regretted his initial decision to allow me to hunt his land.:dontknow:

This field has never been planted before and is half old orchard....kinda left me very puzzled.

2014-04-13 15.36.15.jpg 2014-04-13 17.59.17.jpg 2014-04-13 18.00.00.jpg 2014-04-13 18.01.38.jpg 2014-04-13 18.02.06.jpg 2014-04-13 18.02.32.jpg 2014-04-13 18.02.49.jpg 2014-04-13 18.05.12.jpg

Upvote 10
OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or your reputation as a mean ole boat captain got around and nobody's gonna let old capt AQUA on there property ever again. You may need to come down here to find some hunting ground. I won't tell anyone who you are...I promise bud :-)

HAHAHA... swab the deck or walk the plank !!!

You prolly called him and told bad stories.....what some people will do to win a bet !!!!

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definitely ask your lawyer to find out what happened - and if your lawyer somehow talked to his brother about liability...Id fire him(!) - maybe you can get him to smooth things over - people don't realize- with fields- you can detect them over and over and over again - people think they are going to detect the fields "someday..in the future"...and they think as soon as someone has gone over the area - all the goodies are gone - so maybe this needs to be explained -
I have a lot of disdain for people who get riled up easily - for little reason - and make impulsive decisions - we have enough of those in government...hehe

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How good was that field? Do you want to roll the dice. 8-) Go over with some lobster in hand and apologize for what you did wrong.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How good was that field? Do you want to roll the dice. 8-) Go over with some lobster in hand and apologize for what you did wrong.

The field wasn,t very good ...... so no lose really......just wondered what happened and if it was something I did.

Don,t want this to keep happening if it is something I can control.

Best I would take him is crabs. :laughing7:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you shower that morning? Maybe he didn't want the stinky kid on his property. You did say he got away from you in a hurry right :-)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just do as the local police used to tell us when we were kids hangin out in town "Move along boys, move along".

By the way...your funds look vaguely familiar...haha!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397514737.473845.jpg

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea on getting it straight from the beginning...setting the ground rules.

I had asked this partiular guy if it was ok to return after the first hunt...he said yes.....oh well , live and learn.

Will be more careful with the people who give me permission in the future.....althoough some people change there minds on a whim...nothing we can do.
Is the first place I have gone this year that I had permission for last year ....so will be sure to see the owners before entering their properrty at the start of this year.

These people can be and are hard to deal with (in our experience). In simple terms think about someone you don't 'know' that will be entering your land when ever they please. There is a wrong & right way of doing that. There are many & different ways of upsetting anyone but those with land have MORE ways.

Last edited:

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
These people can be are are hard to deal with (in our experience). In simple terms think about someone you don't 'know' that well entering your land when ever they please. There is a wrong & right way of doing that. Many different ways of upsetting anyone but those with land have MORE ways.
Good point.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a serious note I have one site that tons of people over the years have tried to get on. I wrote the owner a letter and explained that I had a real love of history and talked about some of the important history of his property. I left my number and he called me to talk. I went over one day and met him and he walked the site with me. Showed me the eagles nests and some other really great spots. It's a penninsula that sticks out into a bay and gets hammered with wind. Lots of tree work every spring. I offered to help him in the spring with his tree work and he eventually told me I could come out and hunt it. I'm happy to help an older gentleman out with some of his work. Him allowing me to hunt his property was just icing on the cake. It's funny because he is a retired captain of a larger fishing boat.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I detected a property for 2-3 years and was welcome all the time by the husband.
Almost everytime I had something to give them that was significant to the property.
Like you said they seemed very appreciative and interested.
Fall and winter came and went and in the spring I went back, knocked on the door to say hello and thought I would mention I would do the pasture again.
She said he wasn't feeling well lately and she would rather I didn't do this anymore.
I said ok and went home wondering what I did .
Sort of reminds me of that Blues Bros. song with the line " what did I do to piss you off this time Baaaaaby?"

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I will try to keep this short without cutting out the humor. Few years ago, at a MD club meeting Member #1 recounts a story about detecting in a park that he has been detecting for about two years with absolutey no problems and only genuine interest from the community . Member #1 is a very honest and trustworthy person, a credit to the hobby. On the date this story takes place a parks enforcement officer approaches as M#1 is recovering a target and asks what he's doing. When he says MDing the EO asks for ID so he can issue a summonses. Flustered, M#! states if he is doing anything wrong he is sorry and will leave and not do it again. The EO walks back to the car where his supervisor is sitting, returns and says "He said to write you, you got your warning and you came back anyway". M#1 mildly flips out saying over and over he was never warned and would never have returned if he had been. Well he got the ticket and felt so bad he almost didn't admit to the club what happened, but to stop anybody from making the same mistake he felt as embarrassed as he was he had to recount the story. As soon as the story was over M#2 (Who was new to the club and wasn't well known back then) stands up and recounts a very similar story that occurred in the same park but he was only asked to leave by the same supervisor. We hadn't given it much thought until that second...but M#1 and M#2 looked so similar they could be brothers and were confused by the officers. We laugh about that to this day and they are good friends since.
Lesson being, mistakes happen, farmer may have confused you with somebody else. Member #1 paid his fine and never looked back.
Happy hunting----------------so much for keeping it short.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ HCW You probably didn't do anything wrong as probably AQUA didn't.
People and their lives are complicated, almost anything may be the reason for the change of heart. I wouldn't spend any time thinking of "why", that time can be better spent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just do as the local police used to tell us when we were kids hangin out in town "Move along boys, move along".

By the way...your funds look vaguely familiar...haha!

View attachment 978530

HAHA...thats hilarious....I was saying to Ed the other day that detecting is kinda weird in that we all seem to find different things and what one person has found is what the next person wants to find but doesn,t.

That is pretty neat that you have the exact same 2 items !!!

What is the age on that lock--looks to be early to mid 1900s ?

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ HCW You probably didn't do anything wrong as probably AQUA didn't.
People and their lives are complicated, almost anything may be the reason for the change of heart. I wouldn't spend any time thinking of "why", that time can be better spent.

Correct Rick....

There is many places to ask permission for ..... I,m just not crazy about asking for some unknown reason....although I will not go on their property without asking unless I,m way back in the woods and there is no houses or fences.
Most people I have asked have been very receptive and nice.......majority of people are very nice ...it is just the few you run into that make you hate to ask the next person for fear of the same reaction.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try to keep this short without cutting out the humor. Few years ago, at a MD club meeting Member #1 recounts a story about detecting in a park that he has been detecting for about two years with absolutey no problems and only genuine interest from the community . Member #1 is a very honest and trustworthy person, a credit to the hobby. On the date this story takes place a parks enforcement officer approaches as M#1 is recovering a target and asks what he's doing. When he says MDing the EO asks for ID so he can issue a summonses. Flustered, M#! states if he is doing anything wrong he is sorry and will leave and not do it again. The EO walks back to the car where his supervisor is sitting, returns and says "He said to write you, you got your warning and you came back anyway". M#1 mildly flips out saying over and over he was never warned and would never have returned if he had been. Well he got the ticket and felt so bad he almost didn't admit to the club what happened, but to stop anybody from making the same mistake he felt as embarrassed as he was he had to recount the story. As soon as the story was over M#2 (Who was new to the club and wasn't well known back then) stands up and recounts a very similar story that occurred in the same park but he was only asked to leave by the same supervisor. We hadn't given it much thought until that second...but M#1 and M#2 looked so similar they could be brothers and were confused by the officers. We laugh about that to this day and they are good friends since.
Lesson being, mistakes happen, farmer may have confused you with somebody else. Member #1 paid his fine and never looked back.
Happy hunting----------------so much for keeping it short.

Thats kinda funny actually even tho it isn,t.

They say everyone has a twin !!!

It just seems so crazy to me...it is a very NON HARMFUL hobby . When I see someone detecting before I started the hobby I would always think----damn I wonder what they are finding...looks like so much fun !!

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected a property for 2-3 years and was welcome all the time by the husband.
Almost everytime I had something to give them that was significant to the property.
Like you said they seemed very appreciative and interested.
Fall and winter came and went and in the spring I went back, knocked on the door to say hello and thought I would mention I would do the pasture again.
She said he wasn't feeling well lately and she would rather I didn't do this anymore.
I said ok and went home wondering what I did .
Sort of reminds me of that Blues Bros. song with the line " what did I do to piss you off this time Baaaaaby?"

That is excatly what I was thinking also....guess I was kinda butt hurt.

Was having a great day, had just found 5 coins...nothing special but was fun and just nice to be outside swinging. Just don,t get the harm in it.

If he is going to plant that field ..then it needs to be plowed etc........what could I possibly do to hurt it and everything that is there to be found will be plowed under and ruined.

Just very weird.

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
Another reason I don't ever want to ask anyone if I can hunt their land. Even my own family gets a bug up their butt about me detecting... And I do decent plugs... People are weird about their grass. I only hunt where I can have privacy .. People are just too darn weird. People just don't understand this hobby either... They seem to think we are out to get everything we can . They totally miss the mark that for most of us , it's about the history.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a serious note I have one site that tons of people over the years have tried to get on. I wrote the owner a letter and explained that I had a real love of history and talked about some of the important history of his property. I left my number and he called me to talk. I went over one day and met him and he walked the site with me. Showed me the eagles nests and some other really great spots. It's a penninsula that sticks out into a bay and gets hammered with wind. Lots of tree work every spring. I offered to help him in the spring with his tree work and he eventually told me I could come out and hunt it. I'm happy to help an older gentleman out with some of his work. Him allowing me to hunt his property was just icing on the cake. It's funny because he is a retired captain of a larger fishing boat.

See ...us old salty dogs are good people !!!!

What did you find there.?

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another reason I don't ever want to ask anyone if I can hunt their land. Even my own family gets a bug up their butt about me detecting... And I do decent plugs... People are weird about their grass. I only hunt where I can have privacy .. People are just too darn weird. People just don't understand this hobby either... They seem to think we are out to get everything we can . They totally miss the mark that for most of us , it's about the history.

OUCH..your own family....boooooooooooo.

That is rough...I have learnt a ton of history compared to what I knew before....members on T-NET have been very informative.

I still get just as excited as the first day I went out detecting..only been doing it lil over a year...but the thrill is stronger than ever....even watching Cousin ED dig his finds makes me smile.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See ...us old salty dogs are good people !!!! What did you find there.?
I was only able to hunt it twice last year and only found an 1887 Victoria 25 cent piece the first time. Second time about 20 minutes before dark I hit the hot spot and within that 20 min found a kg2 Brittania an. 1865 2 center and a complete colonial shoe buckle. Can't wait to get back this year now that I know where to go. It's a mid 1600s site right up through the late 1800s so potential for anything is out there. 60 acres and I know there was another. 1600s house on it so I could spent some time out there. Just don't want to overdo it. He's a rough old boy and I do not want to piss him off. Might not make it home if I do :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread