OLD FARM SITE..... A few neat finds ...................and got BOOTED !!!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY GUYS AND GALS

Headed out to a old farm site , was there few days ago and decided to go give it another try.

Picked up the neat lock right where we had detected the last time ....tried a couple fields there we hadn,t tried last time. Not a lot of good finds but was fun....and the 1914 large cent.

After 4 hrs we deceided to go get a coffee and headed for home looking for another spot to try for another hour or so before calling it a day.

We ended up stopping at a spot I had gotten permission for late last fall..this was the only the 3rd time I have hunted there since getting permission.

I was hunting along and looked up to see the owner coming threw the field.....We exchanged hellos and say nice day ,glad winter is over...and he abruptly says ..

"I,ll be planting this field sometime in the next year..so you better stop detecting now"

And turns just as abruptly and walks away.... I said " ok..appreciate the time you gave me to hunt"

Last time we had spoken was in town and I had a nice big stencil that I had found there the time before.

It was used to mark apple boxes before shipping...the stencil was the initials of his late deceased grandfather whom he was named after...he was genuinely pleased to get it.

So I,m really kinda stumped by this.....seems very odd....I didn,t ask any questions as it is his land and I have no right to argue with him over his decision.
Only thing I can figure is maybe he couldn,t stand to think that maybe I might find something valueable and regretted his initial decision to allow me to hunt his land.:dontknow:

This field has never been planted before and is half old orchard....kinda left me very puzzled.

2014-04-13 15.36.15.jpg 2014-04-13 17.59.17.jpg 2014-04-13 18.00.00.jpg 2014-04-13 18.01.38.jpg 2014-04-13 18.02.06.jpg 2014-04-13 18.02.32.jpg 2014-04-13 18.02.49.jpg 2014-04-13 18.05.12.jpg

Upvote 10

GeorgiaHunter

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave someone permission a few years ago to fish in my pond on the farm. As many people do, he took advantage of that permission. That permission wasn't given every time he and the wife wanted a fish dinner as he went several times in a two month period. The last time he brought a family member and I looked and they had about 75 fish as they were going to have a family get together. Last time I have ever given permission to anyone. As a land owner, permission is not given for ever, a lot of property owners would probably like to be asked each time, rather than just showing up with no notice. My brother has permission to hunt an old plantation any time he wants, but he always calls to ask each time or let them know he is going if it is ok like he did the time I went with him, it's only courtesy. Private property in just that, private, it's a shame we weird people have to put up no hunting and no fishing signs. Every year we have truck tracks in our fields where poachers shoot deer in the field and retrieve them. Yea, some of us are weird about our grass.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definitely ask your lawyer to find out what happened - and if your lawyer somehow talked to his brother about liability...Id fire him(!) - maybe you can get him to smooth things over - people don't realize- with fields- you can detect them over and over and over again - people think they are going to detect the fields "someday..in the future"...and they think as soon as someone has gone over the area - all the goodies are gone - so maybe this needs to be explained -
I have a lot of disdain for people who get riled up easily - for little reason - and make impulsive decisions - we have enough of those in government...hehe

In todays world everyone is freaked about getting sued.....so it becomes ""insurance issue"

I was detecting at a spot that I had permission for ....the guys neighbour comes over threw the woods and asks what I,m doing as I,m close to his property....understandible...... I tell him and we continue to tall politely about what I,m finding and who I am.

He turns to leave and I politely ask if I could hunt a property of his a few miles down the road....it is a great spot ..no house on it or anything else but there is history related to that property.

He says..."ty for asking, most people woulda just went"...I said well I respect your privacy so think I must ask.

He then says " sorry but no you can,t...insurance reasons. "

It is a paranoid world nowadays and that way of thinking is not totally without merit......,lotsa people can and do sue for the stupidest and smallest reasons. Then the honest and good people pay the price as it sowballs outta control.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave someone permission a few years ago to fish in my pond on the farm. As many people do, he took advantage of that permission. That permission wasn't given every time he and the wife wanted a fish dinner as he went several times in a two month period. The last time he brought a family member and I looked and they had about 75 fish as they were going to have a family get together. Last time I have ever given permission to anyone. As a land owner, permission is not given for ever, a lot of property owners would probably like to be asked each time, rather than just showing up with no notice. My brother has permission to hunt an old plantation any time he wants, but he always calls to ask each time or let them know he is going if it is ok like he did the time I went with him, it's only courtesy. Private property in just that, private, it's a shame we weird people have to put up no hunting and no fishing signs. Every year we have truck tracks in our fields where poachers shoot deer in the field and retrieve them. Yea, some of us are weird about our grass.

No need to get offended .....every person is not the same person that the poachers are...although we all pay the price because of the few who do stupid crap. We don,t all keep 75 fish.
I never said he was weird...just his way of getting rid of me was very weird.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was only able to hunt it twice last year and only found an 1887 Victoria 25 cent piece the first time. Second time about 20 minutes before dark I hit the hot spot and within that 20 min found a kg2 Brittania an. 1865 2 center and a complete colonial shoe buckle. Can't wait to get back this year now that I know where to go. It's a mid 1600s site right up through the late 1800s so potential for anything is out there. 60 acres and I know there was another. 1600s house on it so I could spent some time out there. Just don't want to overdo it. He's a rough old boy and I do not want to piss him off. Might not make it home if I do :-)

You better get back there ..might be your only chance to win the bet !!!

We should make the bet a lil more interesting... winner gets to chose a item of the losers to keep.!!! (from one of the qualifying posts )

Would make for a nice keepsake !

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure why this is being compared to illegally taking deer on private property and taking a truck load of fish. AQUA just shared a story about his personal experience with one site he has. He never said anybody was weird and guess what, you're not the only one who has some private property. Lots of us do. Though AQUAS may only consist of an empty freezer box that he found in a dumpster, it's his :-)
I'm sure he wasn't rude and wasn't going there every day and bringing tons of people or being disrespectful. His point was that he didn't understand the reasoning for getting kicked off the site and wished the owner had just been honest so he wouldn't have to wonder. The rest of us appreciate him sharing with us so maybe we will be extra careful in trying to keep people happy. Which is not easy.
Btw bro I'm sure your box is a beauty. Can't wait to see it some day lol

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better get back there ..might be your only chance to win the bet !!! We should make the bet a lil more interesting... winner gets to chose a item of the losers to keep.!!! (from one of the qualifying posts ) Would make for a nice keepsake !
I'm good with that. To be honest once I have a nice picture and record it in my log I'm happy. If it was a tree coin or a GW button well that might be different :-)

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are strange my friend. I think often times one family member finds out and gets jealous or something. All it takes is one person to convince them that you're out there pillaging all of that amazing gold and silver and platinum lol

That's what the beaches are for lol

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure why this is being compared to illegally taking deer on private property and taking a truck load of fish. AQUA just shared a story about his personal experience with one site he has. He never said anybody was weird and guess what, you're not the only one who has some private property. Lots of us do. Though AQUAS may only consist of an empty freezer box that he found in a dumpster, it's his :-)
I'm sure he wasn't rude and wasn't going there every day and bringing tons of people or being disrespectful. His point was that he didn't understand the reasoning for getting kicked off the site and wished the owner had just been honest so he wouldn't have to wonder. The rest of us appreciate him sharing with us so maybe we will be extra careful in trying to keep people happy. Which is not easy.
Btw bro I'm sure your box is a beauty. Can't wait to see it some day lol

I have a great box !!!

I up graded from cardboard !

I would say something different but this is a unisex site. :laughing7:

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm good with that. To be honest once I have a nice picture and record it in my log I'm happy. If it was a tree coin or a GW button well that might be different :-)

I wouldn,t take your tree coin or GW... I would be a little more sensible than that....I,m not totally mean:tongue3:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn,t take your tree coin or GW... I would be a little more sensible than that....I,m not totally mean:tongue3:
No your not sensible :-) but I know you wouldn't do that. I like the idea and think we should go with it. It'll be fun for one of us to have a little keepsake from this bet. I found this really cool lil site up on a ridge in the absolute middle of nowhere the other day. Thinking it's late 1700s prob. Gonna check it out Friday or Saturday. Have you found any old old silver yet? Silver seems to hate me but I'm a colonial copper magnet

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No your not sensible :-) but I know you wouldn't do that. I like the idea and think we should go with it. It'll be fun for one of us to have a little keepsake from this bet. I found this really cool lil site up on a ridge in the absolute middle of nowhere the other day. Thinking it's late 1700s prob. Gonna check it out Friday or Saturday. Have you found any old old silver yet? Silver seems to hate me but I'm a colonial copper magnet

So far this year I have picked up 2 late 1700s silver spanish and 3 or 4 late 1800s silver ...but on a silver dry spell now,.. been a few weeks since seeing one.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know of many UK detecorist who have lost land for that very reason. Many think they can ask once detect for ever. We as a minimum (unless directed otherwise when setting up the agreement) we check in every year. However, some want a call before every hunt, which is fine.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of many UK detecorist who have lost land for that very reason. Many think they can ask once detect for ever. We as a minimum (unless directed otherwise when setting up the agreement) we check in every year. However, some want a call before every hunt, which is fine.

Good advice for sure.

If that was my mistake...it will not happen again.

Need to think as if I was the land owner.....much has changed in the last 30 years.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good hunt, Aqua. Chin up! For every one spot you lose, you get hungry and find 3-4 more. :)

GeorgiaHunter

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice for sure.

If that was my mistake...it will not happen again.

Need to think as if I was the land owner.....much has changed in the last 30 years.

In between my hunting and fishing stories, that was to point I was trying to make in a round about way. Lovely country Nova Scotia, visited there when I got lost and moved to Maine for 2 years while in the Air Force., at least I felt lost.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In between my hunting and fishing stories, that was to point I was trying to make in a round about way. Lovely country Nova Scotia, visited there when I got lost and moved to Maine for 2 years while in the Air Force., at least I felt lost.

YUP........ I understand.

One of the guys that works on deck for me has family in Georgia....he says is very nice there .

Nova Scotia is a small peaceful place for the most part...pretty scenery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread