OLD FARM SITE..... A few neat finds ...................and got BOOTED !!!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY GUYS AND GALS

Headed out to a old farm site , was there few days ago and decided to go give it another try.

Picked up the neat lock right where we had detected the last time ....tried a couple fields there we hadn,t tried last time. Not a lot of good finds but was fun....and the 1914 large cent.

After 4 hrs we deceided to go get a coffee and headed for home looking for another spot to try for another hour or so before calling it a day.

We ended up stopping at a spot I had gotten permission for late last fall..this was the only the 3rd time I have hunted there since getting permission.

I was hunting along and looked up to see the owner coming threw the field.....We exchanged hellos and say nice day ,glad winter is over...and he abruptly says ..

"I,ll be planting this field sometime in the next year..so you better stop detecting now"

And turns just as abruptly and walks away.... I said " ok..appreciate the time you gave me to hunt"

Last time we had spoken was in town and I had a nice big stencil that I had found there the time before.

It was used to mark apple boxes before shipping...the stencil was the initials of his late deceased grandfather whom he was named after...he was genuinely pleased to get it.

So I,m really kinda stumped by this.....seems very odd....I didn,t ask any questions as it is his land and I have no right to argue with him over his decision.
Only thing I can figure is maybe he couldn,t stand to think that maybe I might find something valueable and regretted his initial decision to allow me to hunt his land.:dontknow:

This field has never been planted before and is half old orchard....kinda left me very puzzled.

2014-04-13 15.36.15.jpg 2014-04-13 17.59.17.jpg 2014-04-13 18.00.00.jpg 2014-04-13 18.01.38.jpg 2014-04-13 18.02.06.jpg 2014-04-13 18.02.32.jpg 2014-04-13 18.02.49.jpg 2014-04-13 18.05.12.jpg

Upvote 10

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yea id be a lil puzzled too, i think some times when you spend a lot of time at a spot peeps think you are finding gold bars or something, maybe he thinks hes missing out? see him in town and assure him its just a relic hobby, not in it for the money, just interesting old junk

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very odd AQUA. Dman & i hunted in the same small field WHILE the farmer disked the soil. Looks like a good site lost to you. Maybe he watched one of those STUPID TV shows where the alleged "finds" are grossly overvalued. HH, Q.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe he watched an episode of one of the detecting "reality" shows since you were last there and thought he may be sitting on a gold mine?
Sorry to hear about your losing that spot. It was nice of you to at least share your finds with him.:thumbsup:
-MM-

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very odd AQUA. Dman & i hunted in the same small field WHILE the farmer disked the soil. Looks like a good site lost to you. Maybe he watched one of those STUPID TV shows where the alleged "finds" are grossly overvalued. HH, Q.

Ya...that is kinda what I was thinking....why would I have to stop detecting now?----GONNA PLANT IT WITHIN THE NEXT YEAR .

Oh well ---like I said..it is his land....but why not just be straight up. Pretty lame.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sucks, but there's no point even spending another second thinking about it; he's the owner and that's that. Goodness knows how others think, but some are more eccentric than others. Move on.

aj

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe he watched an episode of one of the detecting "reality" shows since you were last there and thought he may be sitting on a gold mine?
Sorry to hear about your losing that spot. It was nice of you to at least share your finds with him.:thumbsup:
-MM-

I always share with the owners if I find something that I think they would like...good karma. Almost wish I hadn,t given him that stencil....I was told not to give it to him and give it to his brother. Must be a reason why that person told me to do that....think I know now.

And yes...prolly seen RINGY dig up a bullet that surely belonged to Billy The Kid and is worth $1900.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are strange my friend. I think often times one family member finds out and gets jealous or something. All it takes is one person to convince them that you're out there pillaging all of that amazing gold and silver and platinum lol

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea id be a lil puzzled too, i think some times when you spend a lot of time at a spot peeps think you are finding gold bars or something, maybe he thinks hes missing out? see him in town and assure him its just a relic hobby, not in it for the money, just interesting old junk

I think you are right also...everyone that asks me about detecting...the first thing they say...YA FINDING ANY GOLD ??

Don,t think they realize that only 1 in 50 things is really worth more than $10.... spent a few thousand on gas and detectors....will never get my money back and don,t care if I ever do.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any number of reasons, but one of them is he talked to someone... and that is why it's never a bad idea to try and stay under the radar as much as possible. IH and I have been told we had to leave because the mother and daughter were going to hunt it someday.... and that was probably 8 or 9 years ago... and how much detecting do you think they have done. I think we should check in there again, maybe the property has been sold since. So I guess I'm glad you got booted and posted about it, it might have given me a site. :)

IH found an early French military button there, which is a pretty odd find for here. I'd like to see what else would show up.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a song would have come to my mind after being booted, "yeah everybody funny, now you funny too" lmao. cool finds tho, are those axe heads collectable? i know of about 50 of them ive dug over the years, would have to locate all the trees i placed them next to tho.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are strange my friend. I think often times one family member finds out and gets jealous or something. All it takes is one person to convince them that you're out there pillaging all of that amazing gold and silver and platinum lol

I was also thinkijng taht maybe his mother or brother had said something to him...he lives with his them...he is about 50.

He was so quick and abrupt about it ...was like he was doing something that he didn,t want to do but just wanted to get it over with and leave without being questioned...dunno...just very odd...he was definitely a different person than the was the last 2 times we chatted.

His brother---not the one he lives with--- is my lawyer and will be chatting with him next week about my business sale....I,ll have to ask him about it.

He owns the piece of land butting up to his...and he gave me permission to hunt it at the same time as I asked this guy last fall.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was also thinkijng taht maybe his mother or brother had said something to him...he lives with his them...he is about 50. He was so quick and abrupt about it ...was like he was doing something that he didn,t want to do but just wanted to get it over with and leave without being questioned...dunno...just very odd...he was definitely a different person than the was the last 2 times we chatted. His brother---not the one he lives with--- is my lawyer and will be chatting with him next week about my business sale....I,ll have to ask him about it. He owns the piece of land butting up to his...and he gave me permission to hunt it at the same time as I asked this guy last fall.
You pay someone $180/hr you oughta be able to hunt his property :- ) and drive his car and drink his beer lol

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any number of reasons, but one of them is he talked to someone... and that is why it's never a bad idea to try and stay under the radar as much as possible. IH and I have been told we had to leave because the mother and daughter were going to hunt it someday.... and that was probably 8 or 9 years ago... and how much detecting do you think they have done. I think we should check in there again, maybe the property has been sold since. So I guess I'm glad you got booted and posted about it, it might have given me a site. :)

IH found an early French military button there, which is a pretty odd find for here. I'd like to see what else would show up.

HAHA..then some good came outta this post...you will have a new place to hunt !!!

One of the Loyalists must have kept that button for a souvenir.

That is a good one ..mother and daughter....poor excuse is better than no excuse at all !!!!

But it is their land...so why don,t they say their real reason......what are we gonna say, it is not our land...not like we are gonna say screw you I,m staying .

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a song would have come to my mind after being booted, "yeah everybody funny, now you funny too" lmao. cool finds tho, are those axe heads collectable? i know of about 50 of them ive dug over the years, would have to locate all the trees i placed them next to tho.

Don,t think so..pretty much just a normal axe head....but the later dated trade axe heads are worth some $ and are very nice cleaned up.

Cleaned one up and mounted it on a handle for one landowner.

CaperBoy

Aug 4, 2013
Cape Breton Island
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aqua were you alone when you first asked for permission and then showed up on his property with friends? I got permission to detect a farm property last year that dated back to the mid 18th century and the original owner was a French Captain who served at the Fortress of Louisbourg. Went once by myself and the second time with a friend. That was the end of the story. The land owner approached us and told me that permission was granted to me only and that I turned the place into a free for all?? (1 other person). We were asked to leave and not to return. Pretty awkward situation. I thanked him and moved on. People can be strange at times.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aqua were you alone when you first asked for permission and then showed up on his property with friends? I got permission to detect a farm property last year that dated back to the mid 18th century and the original owner was a French Captain who served at the Fortress of Louisbourg. Went once by myself and the second time with a friend. That was the end of the story. The land owner approached us and told me that permission was granted to me only and that I turned the place into a free for all?? (1 other person). We were asked to leave and not to return. Pretty awkward situation. I thanked him and moved on. People can be strange at times.

My cousin ED was with me...but he was no where in site..was off in the over grown orchard outta site right from the start.

The rest of my permission sites I have I definitely will be re-asking if it is alright to have someone with me. But once again if that is the reason just say.....but my guess is that your site owner was just looking for an excuse after thinking about it.

CaperBoy

Aug 4, 2013
Cape Breton Island
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck this season Aqua. If you and you pal ever head up to Cape B let me know and we'll go buzz some beaches and what not. Still lots of snow in the woods here and frost in the ground. But I'm combing beach slopes looking at bank erosion. Found a clay pipe bowel, a couple of pieces of pipe stems and a piece of pottery today. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like he woke up and thought 'hmmm... I think I'll be a dick today'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread