Storms trip back to the historic church....

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Picture was taken in 1939, church was a little over 100 years old at the time photograph was taken.

St%20Paul%20Church%20Aug%2018%201939%20FSDM2.jpg

Well, Today was not my best but I have had worse. Between me with my DFX and my buddy Joel with his Explorer SE, we didn't come up with much of anything from this histoic property. We both feel that between people trespassing (night hunts) and the coins being really deep, this site is not going to produce what we are hoping to find.

The church was built in 1833 and we are the only ones that have asked permission to be here. You would figure that we would be getting some good stuff, but that's just not the case. The oldest coin pulled from this site was a 1937 Buffalo. Today I dug 2 wheaties at 8-9" and they were 1958's...So that tells me that the soil here is just swallowing this coins to a level that we can't reach with our DFX and Minelab SE.

Anyway, I'm sorry about going on and on.....Here is my finds for the day (very slow swings)....

Clad = $1.19 (21 coins)

Wheaties = 1958-D, 1956-D, 1942-P
2006_0107Image0002.jpg

I thought this was a cool key. I have never seen a Master Lock key with a Lion on it before.
2006_0107Image0003.jpg

A Sterling Silver Pin, unknown how old it is.
2006_0107Image0001.jpg

Happy Hunting Everyone!!! ;D

Upvote 0

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
"Anyway, I'm sorry about going on and on.....Here is my finds for the day (very slow swings)...."

Go On?? Oh pish!!! & ppllleeeaassssee ;). . I LOVE IT!!! Wish you would say more to tell you the truth ;D Any picture of the church? Would love to see that! Is the church still in use? Was just thinking maybe more of the coins would be on the inside instead of the outside. .

Love love the coins, the key ( wonder what that was for? ) & the pin! Very very excellent finds!! Congarts!

Bogart :D

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any day with keepers is a good day( which you got).WTG on the finds!! HH

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have those kind of sites too. I don't know what the answer is. May be they are too deep but how and why would thay be deeper than normal? Just keep hunting.
Burdie :)

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
bogeymcq said:
Any picture of the church? Would love to see that! Is the church still in use? Was just thinking maybe more of the coins would be on the inside instead of the outside. .

Love love the coins, the key ( wonder what that was for? ) & the pin! Very very excellent finds!! Congarts!

You ask and Stormtrooper givith.... The church is still being used today. Old school is right next door ;D

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Wow! That pic of the church is very cool..........I can smell the silver! Love the sterling pin & I remember those Master keys with the lion on em, my dad had a bunch when I was a kid! (that was a very long time ago! :()

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
I love the pin!

Storm,
There are many places that have been hunted out 30 years ago. We have to check and double check them for stray finds. Otherwise, how will we ever know?

A church like that just beckons to be detected and the smaller the property, the bigger the chances its been cleaned out.

You guys did alright!

Ridley

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Ridley said:
There are many places that have been hunted out 30 years ago.

A church like that just beckons to be detected and the smaller the property, the bigger the chances its been cleaned out.

Ridley

Nothings ever completely hunted out & if it was hit hard 30 years ago, the technology of detectors back then was obsolete compared to today. They just skimmed the surface & if you have a good, DEEP machine I m sure you will find the goodies! Id go back again & again!

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Just force 'em to hire a contractor and have the top 6 inches of soil scraped !!!! Just remember, when you started, a wheat was a cool find !!!

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
:o :o :o

Just look at that Church!! Incredible!! Thank you so much for posting a picture of it ;D I can not resist the feel, the character, the charm of an older Church! Gorgeous!

Again congrats on the great finds at such a beautiful place ;D

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Try spreading out. The congregations at those old churches would often have socials outdoors. Normally there would be an area near the church, usually shaded by trees that they would use for their picnic style get to-gethers. Their might be some old pictures inside the church that might give some ideas as to the location. I have been successful twice at finding such a spot at old churches and found some nice jewelry as most wore their best to church and to a lesser extent, old coins.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A good effort once again my friend, that old church just reeks with history..like gold fish said, if only some of the land could be sheered off imagine what lies beyond the detectors reach.

You gave it a good effort..I'd go back and check the outer perimeters (if you haven't already).

HH
Nat

D

doyboy

There are pirates out there! A lot of people will infiltrate an area. But, I am always about getting permission. Good Wheats!

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I think your finds are very good. I still enjoy finding pennies. I would'nt think there would be many pull tabs there. Keep looking, there are more good finds there. HH Sonny

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2
WTG nice finds!!!

There is more, just listen for the whispers...

HH
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread