🥇 BANNER INCREDIBLE DAY - 3 Colonial Silvers including a 1661 Hammered Hungarian!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Saturday Tom and I made plans to hit two of our well pounded but still productive colonial sites. The first site we hit was is a VERY early site for our area. Between the two of us, we have hit this place over 30 times. But we hadn’t been there since the last plowing. On the way I mentioned that despite finding dozens of coppers between us, the place had only given up 4 silver coins that we know of. Upon arriving at the site, I dug a small tombac right off the bat. A minute later I had another signal that was reading in the high 50’s on my F75. I was thinking another button, but was surprised to see a one real sized silver coin in the dirt (see first dirt shot below). After removing it from the dirt and pouring some water on it, we could see it was a paper thin silver coin with a date of 1661 the likes of which we had never seen before. I took a couple pictures with my phone and sent them off to Don in SJ for an ID. Don came through as usual with the ID – King Leopold of Hungary, 3 Krajczar! Wow, a Hammered Hungarian from the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century in Southwestern Pennsylvania! I feel certain that this coin was used as Indian Trade Silver based on the history of the site and the crude hole punched in it. I went on to find another nice colonial silver – a cut 2 reale with a full date of 1708! Besides the 2 colonial silvers, I only found one button and six musket balls at the first site.
On to the second site we went where Tom got on the board with 1784 one Real from the Potosi Bolivia mint (pictured below). Not to be out done, I responded with a worn 1778 half Real and two coppers. I also got three buttons at the second site.
All in all not a lot of quantity, but I will take quality over quantity any day. I found my oldest dated Spanish coin AND my oldest dated coin period in the same day. Truly a day to remember!!

Attachments

• A.4-12-14 ALL.JPG
    A.4-12-14 ALL.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 754
  • B.2 silvers with dates.JPG
    B.2 silvers with dates.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 705
  • C.2 Silvers 1.JPG
    C.2 Silvers 1.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 679
  • D.3 silvers 1.JPG
    D.3 silvers 1.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 678
  • E.3 silvers 2.JPG
    E.3 silvers 2.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 633
  • G.2 silvers dirty1.JPG
    G.2 silvers dirty1.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 634
  • H.Side by Side.jpg
    H.Side by Side.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 611
  • I.Pottery.JPG
    I.Pottery.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 591
  • J.Tom Real front.JPG
    J.Tom Real front.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 634
  • K.Tom Real back 001.JPG
    K.Tom Real back 001.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 609
  • L.Dirt Shot 1661.jpg
    L.Dirt Shot 1661.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 542
  • M.Dirt Shot 1708.jpg
    M.Dirt Shot 1708.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 523
  • N.Dirt Shot half real.jpg
    N.Dirt Shot half real.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 525
  • O.Dirt Shot Copper.jpg
    O.Dirt Shot Copper.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 517
Upvote 79
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. No doubt. BANNER #2 for you should be imminent, Steve! And to think that the cut 1708 Reale seems like a second rate find in comparison to the Hungarian coin. LOL Congrats! :hello2:

I was just thinking the same thing Keith. The cut 2 reale pistareen with a full date would be the star of the show any other day :laughing7:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes Steve! You knocked it out of PA today. The 2 reale is outstanding but the mid 1600s hammered is what I'm talkin 'bout and to think it was part of Indian trade....man what a day. I'm happy for you.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Awesome finds!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve that is an incredible day! Happy for ya man. Happy for anyone that has a dream day that can remember for the rest of their lives. Knocking AQUA off the banner is gonna be fun to see as well. :-) just kidding AQUA I'm just jealous

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My votes in bud

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Just saw this Steve. That hammered is an absolutely amazing find for PA. I've never heard of one coming from that part of the country. I vote banner, and hope yours has better luck making it to the top than those last 2 or 3 I found a while back. I love the other 2 coins as well. I think I have a 1708 with a full date too somewhere. If I can find it I'll post it. Congrats on day that comes around only once in a blood (or blue) moon. And just think - there may be more. Good luck finding them.

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Steve, CONGRATS on one heck of a day for sure. That hammered has lots of nice detail and then too top it all off you dig two Spanish Silver to boot, a Banner Find and a Banner Day for sure. My vote is in :occasion14:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve that is an incredible day! Happy for ya man. Happy for anyone that has a dream day that can remember for the rest of their lives. Knocking AQUA off the banner is gonna be fun to see as well. :-) just kidding AQUA I'm just jealous
Awww, don't worry about AQUA, he will be back on the banner soon!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, CONGRATS on one heck of a day for sure. That hammered has lots of nice detail and then too top it all off you dig two Spanish Silver to boot, a Banner Find and a Banner Day for sure. My vote is in :occasion14:

Thanks for the vote Bubba :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw this Steve. That hammered is an absolutely amazing find for PA. I've never heard of one coming from that part of the country. I vote banner, and hope yours has better luck making it to the top than those last 2 or 3 I found a while back. I love the other 2 coins as well. I think I have a 1708 with a full date too somewhere. If I can find it I'll post it. Congrats on day that comes around only once in a blood (or blue) moon. And just think - there may be more. Good luck finding them.

Thanks for the vote Bill. I was surprised for sure when I dug that coin. I told Tom as we were on the way to the site that morning that I had a feeling that a cob was gonna turn up. I guess I wasn't too far off :laughing7:

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's an epic hunt! Simply amazing finds. That 1661 is absolutely awesome! My vote is in!

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is definitely is some awesome silver

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's an epic hunt! Simply amazing finds. That 1661 is absolutely awesome! My vote is in!

Thank you for the vote mr. b. It was definitely a hunt to remember!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Phenomenal hunt Steve, Congrats on the hammered! So the silver was there all along. Banner nomination for sure.
-Evan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread