Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Went back to the site I hit for the first time last week, and where I dug about 30 buttons and other misc relics mostly dating from 1775 to 1825. I was still hitting random buttons away from the iron patch just before I left last time so I figured there would be plenty more to dig. But today I couldn't seem to dig a keeper no matter what I did. Finally I broke the ice after almost 30 min with a nice little late colonial buckle. But things were still slow after that so I decided to roam around between the iron patch and the woods which was about 50 yards back. Still no targets of any consequence until I finally got an overload signal which I figured was junk. But it turned out to be a coronet head LC just beneath the surface. I was happy with that as it was the first coin to come from this area. Then I walked maybe 10 feet and got a nice brass button signal, or so I thought. When I first saw the target I thought it was another one of those teaser silver gilted buttons, but I was way off base as it turned out to be a holed 1772 half reale. So after no coins in about 5-6 hours of hunting this site I get 2 on consecutive signals .... weird! After digging a button nearby I decided to start gridding that area, and went way off to one side to start. I hadn't walked 15 feet when I got a choppy, ugly sounding signal, and I was really surprised to see a piece of silver from what looks to be a 2 reale pistareen. Technically it's not a "cut" piece as its a bit on the irregular side, plus it looks like someone had driven a nail through it. So in the 4 targets I had dug in the last 10 min 3 of them were coins. As I continued gridding the targets again became almost non-existent. I must have hunted for another couple of hours with very little to show for my efforts. But near the end of the hunt I was finally able to pull out a small gilted navy cuff button similar to the one I dug on the last hunt here. About that time I noticed this strange glow in the sky well below the position of the sun. I thought it might be a sundog, but usually those are on either side of the sun and they usually come in pairs. Maybe it has something to do with the lunar eclipse tonight?? Anyway, as I was leaving the owner had just pulled up and offered to go talk to his neighbor about getting me into her field which is also part of the same 1636 land patent and borders the historic creek. But I have to hurry as the farm equipment is everywhere, and my season is very close to an end.

Attachments

• 041414a.JPG
    041414a.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 041414b.JPG
    041414b.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 041414c.JPG
    041414c.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 041414d.JPG
    041414d.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 041414e.JPG
    041414e.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 041414f.JPG
    041414f.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 041414g.JPG
    041414g.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 041414h.JPG
    041414h.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 171
  • 041414i.JPG
    041414i.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 19

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two colonial silvers and a large cent is a grand slam! What did you say your colonial silver total for this year is? You have to be close to last year's total even with the crappy winter we've had. What's a sun dog?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you can beat the farmers back there. It would be constantly tugging at my thoughts.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you managed to save the day Bill. Love that Navy button.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Two colonial silvers and a large cent is a grand slam! What did you say your colonial silver total for this year is? You have to be close to last year's total even with the crappy winter we've had. What's a sun dog?

I'm up to 16 now Joey, and most have been dug since March 1st. Last year's total was 24 so that's totally out of reach this season barring walking over another cache. Sorry but you'll have to look up sundog yourself as I'm too tired to type anymore ..... lol!

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Great hunt like others have said, I too really like the button a real nice find. Of the Spanish Silver is real Awesome too :thumbsup:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Phenomenal hunt Bill, what a way to close out the season. Love the irregular cut piece with the square nail hole, lots of character. Hope u get one or 2 more hunts in before the crops surface.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another nice Colonial hunt to boot, Bill. I think I may be done until the first hay cut in June. I just don't think it is worth getting into any new farms now.

Kirk

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
WTG Bill "Dog," I like it, might stick ha ha.

You are finishing the year strong my friend!

I tell ya Dan, I didn't think I'd ever get to this point the way the season started out. I only had 4 colonial silvers by the end of Feb, with only one of those coming during the main part of the season in Dec and Jan. But I made a great comeback with 12 more since then. I'm sure I'm done for the season, but then again, that's what I was saying last week. Maybe we can put ourselves on a good spot this weekend.

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Spanish Silver ...

Seem to be saying that everytime I read your threads !!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome button as well..very nice.... can,t wait to find a cut silver coin here .

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Spanish Silver ...

Seem to be saying that everytime I read your threads !!!!!!!!!
Awesome button as well..very nice.... can,t wait to find a cut silver coin here .

Bill's finds are always banner worthy in my opinion and continuously give me motivation to do extensive research so I can even dream of finding stuff like his.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First class hunt, as always Bill! Congrats on the awesome old silver.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Another nice Colonial hunt to boot, Bill. I think I may be done until the first hay cut in June. I just don't think it is worth getting into any new farms now.

Kirk

At least you'll have some opportunities in a couple of months Kirk. We have winter wheat in a lot of fields now, but as soon as that gets cut in May or Jun they immediately plant soybeans eliminating any chance to get out. Looks like its gonna be Oct for me aside from maybe one or two hunts later this week.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt. Looks like a Guatemala 1/2 reale. Scarce.
I concur with gwdigger on the mint mark for your Half Real, I checked the records of myself, son and Wayne S and out of over 70 Half Real found between us only Wayne has found 2 with the Guatemala mint mark, so scarce indeed. It would probably be wise to mark that note for the coin in case a researcher in the future would have a need to know. Great finds as always for you guys...............

Don

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is so cool, wish I had a spot like that.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You finally got that coil over those coins Bill. Outstanding hunt. :occasion14:
Great post,
Doug

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok - that's it. I'm renting a dump truck tomorrow and I'm coming down to Virginia to steal a load of dirt from the first field I come across. That's the only chance I have at finding colonial silver. I live 20 miles from Plymouth Rock and can't find a piece of that stuff anywhere! ;-)
Nice finds as always, and I love reading the details of the hunt. Awesome posts on a daily basis!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread