Colt 1849 powder flask sword hanger and one DELICIOUS find!

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been working on a new site that I had just gotten permission for a few weeks ago. I've been eyeing this property for quite some time as I have often heard the story that it was a very early campsite for travelers in the area, even going back to prehistoric times. I finally got up the nerve to go knock on the door (unlisted phone number) and after my initial introduction, I realized that the lady looked very familiar. Turns out that I used to work with her years and years ago in the restaurant business. Anyway, longer story shorter, she's a very odd bird but has decided to let me detect her property (which goes back many generations in her family). She says that I have to keep an eye out for the sasquatch that watches over her, however.....ahem....(like I said...odd bird). Anyway, here are my combined finds for the last two trips. The first time I was out there and initially detected in a wandering fashion trying to locate hot spots. Didn't find much that day except a small spur buckle, piece of colonial era scissors handle, one flat button and A WHOLE LOT OF trash modern to early. Went back this week in the hopes of doing better. First day I spent the better part of chatting with her and listening to her spin stories. Once I got to detecting I dug several more aluminum cans (there are a ton of them scattered on the property up to about 5 inches deep), some more chunks of rusted iron from the old farming days, and then as it started raining I got a good signal that I figured was just more junk. At about 10 inches I got the sword hanger/sling hook, then a few more junk targets and then (right before I quit because I was getting soaked by the cold rain) I hit another good signal. It too was deep, about 10 inches or maybe a bit more, and I pulled out what I at first thought was the catch from an old steamer trunk. It was a bit crumpled and too light to be that though so I brushed off a bit of dirt and saw what I thought might be an eagle! Recognition dawned on me immediately then, one side of a powder flask! Wahoo I've always wanted one of these for my Civil War collection. It was extremely crusted with a layer of very hard oxidized dirt hiding most all detail, and it was badly creased and crumpled in a couple of different places. When I got it home, it took me quite a while to carefully straighten it out and pick the crust off, but it turned out great. If I have it identified correctly, it is a flask from a Colt Baby Dragoon pistol or model 1849. Sweet find and might support the lady's claim that the troops stayed there. Not much other evidence, though, I went back yesterday and found almost nothing but trash (and I hit it pretty hard). No bullets, or buttons, unfortunately. Will have to look at the rest of the property now to figure out what I'm missing because my finds so far sure don't point to much of a camp. There seems to be some fill on the area, however, so that may be hiding a lot of the better stuff. My best find on the last hunt was just as I was getting ready to leave and running late, a small patch of morels had popped up during the afternoon. YUM Wish I'd had more time to look for another patch because it turned cold again last night.
Also found 2 wheat pennies (1912 and 1923) and a crust of a Missouri tax token. No other coins so far other than some stinkin lincolns.
Anyone recognize the rectangular pieces? They were at about the same depth as the military finds and scattered on the site. Two of them have two tabs on the back, the other two are slightly smaller and have four. Perhaps they came off of a saddle???? Definitely brass and were gilt/plated at one time.
HH

Attachments

• 414finds.jpg
    414finds.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 414finds1.jpg
    414finds1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 414finds2.jpg
    414finds2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 414finds3.jpg
    414finds3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 414finds4.jpg
    414finds4.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 16

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice finds. I have found one of those rectangle pieces as well and hope someone chimes in.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you're starting to get into the good stuff on your new site. I have dug a couple of those rectangular brass leather adornments on late 18th/early19th century sites. Morels should be starting to show up around here soon.

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds ...the flask is very nice...great indication that there is something very nice hiding there somewhere--- you just gotta find it.

Definitely go back... just when you think that a site is cleaned out or nothing there....bang...you find all kinds of stuff on another trip to same spot.

Is a puzzling hobby when it comes to that part---still baffles me.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the finds... and the morels look delicious, I'm jealous!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics!
Maybe the spot your looking for is under bushes now?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mystery items are 19th C leather mounts these are also known as horse blinkers as they went on the leather over the horses eyes.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
I like the colt powder flask. Nice finds, ought to be some more good stuff in there.

OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mystery items are 19th C leather mounts these are also known as horse blinkers as they went on the leather over the horses eyes.

Thanks for the id, Crusader. I figured they were from tack of some kind but wasn't sure if it would have been on the saddle or the head gear. Happy Hunting!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great saves. Congratulations. Hickory Chickens. Yum!

We called them "dry land fish" in Ky when I was a boy. Very nice post. When I first saw your flask, I thought it must be a pistol one because of the size. I have never dug one, but think it is an exceptional find.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds ..
Maybe Bigfoot is hunting the property , while on his patrols, hopefully sometime he will
invite you to his place to see his Relic Display.
Good luck Davers

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds!

F75PAHUNTER

Mar 10, 2014
Hanover Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LTD, Deus Xp, tecknetics gamma, Garrett pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigfoot Do DO makes good mushrooms